Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Random glicthing on Solo SE V2

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    It will be your f-connectors/cabling/LNB that is the issue. You have a weakness somewhere, nothing to do with the receiver imo. I've seen this many of times before and it will be down to your setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I got my signal checked with a Satellite meter and I am getting 99% signal quality across the board. I've reseated the tuner (as instructed by World of Satellite) and tightened every thing up with a spanner. One of the nuts holding the tuner in was loose when I was taking it off so I was sure this was the issue. I hadn't watched much TV over the last week and hadn't seen a glitch until last night when it glitched again on Channel 4. I am convinced its the box but the fact that its so intermittent I think when I return it World of Satellite will say its no fault found and I'll be out the cost of return postage into the bargain.

Very disappointed with this experience I have to say

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Those 'glitches' can have any cause, like a faulty LNB, water in coax/connectors, trees branches etc. Many of those short-term issues will never show on a meter (unless it's a professional meter and the issues shows when actually registering it on the meter).
    Also descambling can be a cause, although not in your case as you reported to use FTA only.
    Did you check if both tuners are affected, and if not, did you swap the cables (from tuner 1 to 2 and v.v.) and see if the issue also swaps?

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    Those 'glitches' can have any cause, like a faulty LNB, water in coax/connectors, trees branches etc. Many of those short-term issues will never show on a meter (unless it's a professional meter and the issues shows when actually registering it on the meter).
    Also descambling can be a cause, although not in your case as you reported to use FTA only.
    Did you check if both tuners are affected, and if not, did you swap the cables (from tuner 1 to 2 and v.v.) and see if the issue also swaps?
    I've have swapped cables over, both the same.
    There are 2 basic facts here.
    Fact 1 Signal checked by Sky installation eng and Sig Quality was 99% across the board.
    Fact 2 When I put my old sky box in, it doesn't glitch
    Now, if you are doing basic fault diagnosis in any profession, the facts point to the box being the issue but World of Satellite and everyone who has been kind enough to take time out to comment on this issue think the issue is Environmental. That is just totally illogical.

W of S would told me to not waste my time comparing my box to a VU+ Duo as it had an embedded turner which has different sensitivity to the plug in tuners (contrary to what their website says)
    Either the boxes the plug in tuners being used in the Solo V2 are of an inferior quality or that non-soldered tuners are not a suitable mechanism for Satellite reception.

W of S won't allow me to return the box and upgrade to a box with an Embedded tuner and have offered to test the tuner which I can either return and wait for a replacement and be without my box for over 1 week or buy a replacement and return the old one and get a refund which I was happy enough with until I realise I am going to have to spend £9 shipping (£4.50 each way).
    So as it stands my VU+ Solo V2 has cost me

£169 cost
    £7.50 postage
    £40.00 Sky Eng to test signal
    And if I return the tuner
    £9.00

This will take the price to more than a Solo 2 (with its embedded tuner) which is very annoying indeed as it probably wouldn’t have this issue. Very Annoyed at this point.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to frankiecarbone For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (01-09-16)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    If I understand you correctly you didn't try this? So you can't be sure then, as this is a basic fault diagnostic test in a case like yours.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    If I understand you correctly you didn't try this? So you can't be sure then, as this is a basic fault diagnostic test in a case like yours.
    Yes, I tried both tuners. I've connected 1 tuner at a time with each of the cables and still seen the problem. I thought put that in an earlier post but at this point can't remember what I've written:-)

I am going to see if I can try the box in someone elses set-up to rule out environmental issues.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,917 Times in 3,254 Posts
    Are there any other receivers connected to the same LNB?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Are there any other receivers connected to the same LNB?
    No other tuners connected to the same LNB.

I may have narrowed the problem down a bit.
    I was recording ch5 +1 one night and while flicking through channels I noticed that every time I got to Ch5 the picture glitched about 3 seconds after I switched to this channel. This was 100% repeatable until the recording stopped. After the recording finished I was able to change channel to Ch5 and it never glitches.
    I think the problem seems to be when Timeshift kicks in (I have it set to 3 seconds) and I am recording another particular channel I can get a glitch. Unfortunately The Ch5 + 1 and Ch5 combination didn't cause a glitch the next day when I tried it again.
    I don't know why Ch5 glitched when recording CH5 +1, nor why it worked fine the next day on that combination. I am still getting glitches pretty often but haven't confirmed 100% if they only happen when I am recording something else at the same time.

I am still thinking the its a tuner issue or perhaps the power supply.

Storage wise, I have an external 2.5in Hard drive connected with eSATA and External USB Power if that is any releavance.

Title
    Thanks
    this could be caused by your box trying to access a sleeping hdd, can you try with a usb flash drive instead to check

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    it looks like you have tried different things, I may have missed it, and apologies if I have, but have you tried a reflash, without backup, so fresh flash and setup from new, then using ABM

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Try setting Timeshift to 20 seconds.

Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sashires View Post
    this could be caused by your box trying to access a sleeping hdd, can you try with a usb flash drive instead to check
    It can't be a sleeping HD if its already recording another channel at the time, unfortunately.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by john doe View Post
    it looks like you have tried different things, I may have missed it, and apologies if I have, but have you tried a reflash, without backup, so fresh flash and setup from new, then using ABM
    Yes, I tried a re-flash a few weeks back and set the whole thing up from scratch again as I was sure the glitching was some settings I had made but its still the same.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    Try setting Timeshift to 20 seconds.

I'll try this and see how it goes. Suspect it'll move the glitch to 20 seconds.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiecarbone View Post
    I'll try this and see how it goes. Suspect it'll move the glitch to 20 seconds.
    I've changed the Timeshift to 20secs and hadn't seen the glitching as I am not staying on each channel for 20 secs for the glitch to appear (plus I don't get to watch a lot of live TV). Last night however I was watching BBC1 for about 20mins and saw a glitch and when I looked at the timers it turned out a recording had just started at the time of the glitch. Something is happening to the box when it starts to record. Maybe a sight voltage drop from the power supply or a faulty tuner. What I can't understand is why does it not happen every time a recording or timeshift starts and on every channel. I still haven't been able to figure out the connection between what's being recorded/timeshifted and the channel that glitches. WOS will let me buy a tuner and refund me when I return the old one. I think this is my next step as my last resort is to return the box for testing as this will mean a week or two without the box.

Title
    Thanks
    I've changed the tuner and still see the glitching:-(

I am going to try it in someone else's set-up next but I'm convinced its the box.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast