Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washed out/Soft HD picture?

Title
    Thanks

Washed out/Soft HD picture?

Hi all again,

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm finding the picture on either the DVB-S or DVD-C/T2 looks quite washed out and soft on the HD channels (running the latest stable OpenViX - I have 2 x Sat and 2 x Hybrid tuners).

I had the Mutant HD2400 before and it was nice and crisp on there.

Also I have a variety of other sources incuding a BT YouView box and the picture is nicely defined on that no problem. Basically I know there is no problem with my TV (tried different HDMI cables etc.)

It's only with the ET10000 I've noticed any issue - just wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if there's anything I can do to "fix" this?

I still have the problem with the box not going to standby after 5 seconds when recording a timer out of deep sleep so I reckon I'm going to do a full wipe on it anyway, but I am curious as to this picture issue.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meherenow View Post
    Hi all again,

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm finding the picture on either the DVB-S or DVD-C/T2 looks quite washed out and soft on the HD channels (running the latest stable OpenViX - I have 2 x Sat and 2 x Hybrid tuners).

I had the Mutant HD2400 before and it was nice and crisp on there.

Also I have a variety of other sources incuding a BT YouView box and the picture is nicely defined on that no problem. Basically I know there is no problem with my TV (tried different HDMI cables etc.)

It's only with the ET10000 I've noticed any issue - just wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if there's anything I can do to "fix" this?
    Well, I am pretty sure the HD2400 & ET10000 use the same Samsung tuners..... so?
    You may be correct, but everytime I see "I know there is nothing wrong with my TV" - alarm bells ring
    You have not named the TV, but I am constantly amazed that many people think they have a great picture when they are still running with the TV showroom settings which are always *******
    .... and if it is one of the many TV,s that offer no picture settings alternatives, you have to make the best from a pretty poor starting point.
    Unless you have a TV that is/can be calibrated, everything is down to the users perpective of what is a good quality picture.

So bottom line I would be surprised if it is anything to do with the ET10000
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Well, I am pretty sure the HD2400 & ET10000 use the same Samsung tuners..... so?
    You may be correct, but everytime I see "I know there is nothing wrong with my TV" - alarm bells ring
    You have not named the TV, but I am constantly amazed that many people think they have a great picture when they are still running with the TV showroom settings which are always *******
    .... and if it is one of the many TV,s that offer no picture settings alternatives, you have to make the best from a pretty poor starting point.
    Unless you have a TV that is/can be calibrated, everything is down to the users perpective of what is a good quality picture.

So bottom line I would be surprised if it is anything to do with the ET10000
    LOL, I hear you there.

OK, I currently have the following displaying crisp HD pictures on my Samsung UE65H6400:

PC dual booting Windows 10 and OpenELEC
    Panasonic BDT-110 Blu-ray player
    BT YouView+
    Xbox One
    Wii U
    TV internal tuner+ smart apps, Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, etc etc

These are all fed through my Sony STR-DN1050, with the exception of the internal TV tuner and apps.

I have the same video settings set up for all sources (as they all pass through the amp via a single HDMI). I've tried turning all additional TV processing off.

So, please, believe me - I am more than happy with the picture output from every other device, I've had the TV 18 months now and am happy with the picture settings, the only issue I am having is with the ET10000. When I had the Mutant HD2400 the picture was markedly improved compared to the ET10000. Obviously I don't have both receivers now to compare side by side as I swapped the HD2400 out for another issue but I am pretty anal about my TV quality so there is no doubt in my mind that the ET10000 has a softer HD picture than the HD2400 had (or else I would have been on here questioning that as well ).

Although I agree "everything is down to the users per(s)pective of what is a good quality picture" I have no qualms about the HD on my myriad of devices (or others including Sky HD and an old Openbox I have had previously in the lifetime of this TV), only on the ET10000.

Title
    Thanks
    So what Picture mode are you using? Do you change it depending on the input device?
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    So what Picture mode are you using? Do you change it depending on the input device?

I've only got one input device because it all goes through the amp so it can't be changed on the TV because the TV just sees HDMI 2 or whatever coming from the AV receiver.

I had it setup to my liking (using various hints and tips from other forums) using Movie mode, however I change it the Game mode when, ahem, gaming.

In saying all that, does it really matter - I've already explained that EVERY other device I use now or I've used recently looks nice and crisp - I'm not blind. The ET10000 has a strange soft(er), almost very slightly blurry look to the HD channels on any of the tuners. I had the Mutant HD2400 for a good number of weeks and was using it a lot and didn't notice any difference to the HD channels; I noticed a difference right away when I got the ET10000 though.

Just watching the footy on my YouView+ box as it is noticeably crisper looking on BBC 1 HD compared with either the sat or cable feed on the ET10000. Again, I watched footy when I had the Mutant HD2400 and it was a nice sharp picture from the same sources as I use just now, comparable to the quality I have when viewing HD on the rest of my devices (OK, obviously the Blu-ray gives the best quality HD picture).

Title
    Thanks
    OK, give in as I don't have an ET10000 any more, so wrong to comment further.
    However, I do use the ET8500 which uses a similar Samsung tuner and on HD 1080P it beats my Sky HD box on HD 1080I but then that is my view
    Everything with pictures is so personal.
    e.g. I have a THX certified Panny plasma, so I think I have a pretty good picture as I use the THX settings (everything provided by Panny eg sharpness etc is turned off as thats screws the picture ) but that is my view and the experts that review the TV, but then other people may find it doesn't suit them.

So don,t think its the receiver, it just may be that it doesn't suit your tastes .... and that is not a negative comment - for you the ET10000 may for some reason not give the picture you require..... don't forget most of us guys have defective eyesight e.g. colour blindness
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    .... using Movie mode, ...
    well, there you are then

The first thing you need to do when using any HD-device is to turn of every, and I literally mean every, so-called picture enhancer in the TV (including dynamic brightness and xxxHz).
    I know: those enhancers are the only thing manufacturers can advertise with, and say that they are sooo much better then any competitor, but believe me: none is (at least not for HD contents).
    So turn of every singe 'enhancer', and start using good test screens to adept the picture settings (brightness and so on). There are plenty website out there to help you with that.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

twol (25-06-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    well, there you are then

The first thing you need to do when using any HD-device is to turn of every, and I literally mean every, so-called picture enhancer in the TV (including dynamic brightness and xxxHz).
    I know: those enhancers are the only thing manufacturers can advertise with, and say that they are sooo much better then any competitor, but believe me: none is (at least not for HD contents).
    So turn of every singe 'enhancer', and start using good test screens to adept the picture settings (brightness and so on). There are plenty website out there to help you with that.
    To be honest, I only had the movie mode as a starter, and then changed all the settings within to my liking, using various settings and tips from AV forums reviews etc.

Code:
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-h6400-3d-led-lcd-tv-review.1876932/
    Similar to the info given in the comments above.

I only have it on Game mode now all the time as I couldn't be bothered changing it every time I want to play Rocket League! Game mode is soooo buried down on the Samsung.

And I've tweaked the brightness etc myself from there.

So there you go - next to no post processing whatsoever.

And again, I'll reiterate - ALL the rest of my HD content looks fine from ANY of the other sources - and they are all on Game mode too as the picture is just passed through the amp to the TV. As I watch a LOT of TV from my various sources I can say without doubt, there is something not quite right about the ET10000, whether it's just mine or not remains to be seen - could it be a decoding issue? I am definitely going to reflash the box from scratch on the off chance that makes any difference. Again, I'll say I had no issue with the picture quality when I was using the Mutant HD2400 which I had to send back for the (acknowledged by the manufacturer) unfortunate issue when using all 4 tuners in a 2 x Sat and 2 x Hybrid configuration (see other threads).
    Last edited by Rob van der Does; 26-06-16 at 06:40. Reason: No live links please.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    avforums.com is a good starting point; my 'knowledge' and settings stem basically from there as well

Be aware that HD contents is not being processed by your STB, but passed on as-is.
    That is: presuming that you don't have the plugin 'videoenhancement' installed. Because if you do, this can (and will) ruin the HD-picture (although it might be helpful a little bit for SD).

In my setup at home I also have all devices connected to my A/V-amp, and from there to only one HDMI-input of the TV. All devices work fine, and have no such issues (as expected).

Maybe, although I doubt if it'll help, you could connect the 10k to the TV directly to see if that makes any difference.

Title
    Thanks
    My setups are similar all going through Onkyo amps...on them I have to make sure they pass theough everything for the sat receivers without upscaling etc. its worth checking your amp to see what it does (if anything)
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    True, and that might be per input settings.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    True, and that might be per input settings.
    On my Onkyo,s its by input and if you are not careful the amp will try to deliver the best output it can which at times will defeat everything ...... a bit like all these tweaks on the TV,s which are fine in theory but usually screw up everything.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Hi OP if its any consolation I have just got an xtrend 1000hd and have found same problem as you, poor pic quality. Did you resolve it and if so how? Also with the 4 tiners have you gone 2 x sat and 2 x C hybrid. There is a reference in manual that says a certain congig cant be used but it has me a bit stumped. I am awaiting 2 x hybrids. VIx image 4.1.16 or june cant recall exact numbers.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmitie View Post
    Hi OP if its any consolation I have just got an xtrend 1000hd and have found same problem as you, poor pic quality. Did you resolve it and if so how? Also with the 4 tiners have you gone 2 x sat and 2 x C hybrid. There is a reference in manual that says a certain congig cant be used but it has me a bit stumped. I am awaiting 2 x hybrids. VIx image 4.1.16 or june cant recall exact numbers.
    Nah, I never resolved it, the pic still looks soft in HD - and in the intervening months I've changed my TV and AV amp.

I'm loathe/lazy to reflash from scratch especially as I hear there are some probs with the latest openvix.

I have all 4 tuners working, I have the 2 hybrids side by side at the back left edge (A and B) and then the 2 sats together nearer the middle (C and D) and it all works fine (except I still have this annoying boot from deep standby to record and the unit will just remain on, NOT go back to normal standby while recording, meaning it won't return to deep standby when recording is finished - I have all my updates for channels/guide etc set for 4 in the morning so it shouldn't be that - ho hum, maybe I'll get round to flashing it at some point..)

Hope that helps.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    .....as I hear there are some probs with the latest openvix.
    Such as....?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast