Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Widescreen (16:9) via Composite?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    AFAIK all TV's use 'overscan' on all analogue inputs, without the option to disable that.
    What you can do is to use an A/V-amplifier; connect the analogue video connection to the amp, and use an HDMI-lead to the TV. Now you can disable overscan on that HDMI-input.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

Timbo (23-05-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    AFAIK all TV's use 'overscan' on all analogue inputs, without the option to disable that.
    What you can do is to use an A/V-amplifier; connect the analogue video connection to the amp, and use an HDMI-lead to the TV. Now you can disable overscan on that HDMI-input.
    I was hoping there was something on the Solo2 box that would just do it - Auto Resolution in A/V Settings only seems to cover 720p resolutions and above.. I don't really want to add any extra hardware in each location but thank you for the idea.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    It's the TV to blame.

Anyway: isn't it about time to leave the horrible composite video quality (or better lack of quality) aside in these HD-days, and transport HD throughout the house? A whole different world of options (and quality). A LAN-connection and a9n old, tuner may even be defect) E2 box will do the trick.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    It's the TV to blame.

Anyway: isn't it about time to leave the horrible composite video quality (or better lack of quality) aside in these HD-days, and transport HD throughout the house? A whole different world of options (and quality). A LAN-connection and a9n old, tuner may even be defect) E2 box will do the trick.
    I agree totally, and I already do distribute the HD signal to certain TV's via Cat5e cables and a HDMI Matrix. This thread is about the TV's in my house which do not have these HDMI baluns as the Matrix is only a 4x4 (4 Sources, 4 Displays) and for these TV's not getting the HD signal I use a coax distribution system with RF Modulators. (Hence the issues (now resolved) highlighted above)

Each TV is situated / mounted where there is Coax and Cat5e structured cabling, I just cannot justify getting a bigger matrix (4x8 or 8x8) due to the costs involved - that and having a HD signal on the TV's that are 24" and smaller is not really necessary for the length of time spent viewing those TVs.

Thanks again.

Title
    Thanks

Help needed

Hi there, I have an xtrend7500 and it outputs via hdmi to the main tv but i also use the phono outs to connect to an rf modulator to connect a coax feed to the tv in the kitchen. now the picture thru hdmi is as fine showing full picture but for some reason thru the phono outs, on the screen in the kitchen connected by coax it outputs the epg screen with the picture box in the top right corner shoeing the channel which on the main tv is full picture. If anyone can help me it would be appreciated
    Last edited by darrenlee; 03-01-17 at 22:18.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    That seems to be correct then.
    The TV that's fed via HDMI can be set (and probably has been set) to no overscan; the result should be a correct picture.
    All other inputs on any TV, in your case the kitchen TV, can never be set to use no overscan. This means that all OSD will seem to be 'too large'.

There is a work-around for this, albeit not a nice one: set your main TV to use overscan, and adjust the OSD-size of the STB accordingly. Now the picture in the kitchen will be better, but probably not good (as overscan on analogue inputs is always a bit more then on digital inputs).

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenlee View Post
    Hi there, I have an xtrend7500 and it outputs via hdmi to the main tv but i also use the phono outs to connect to an rf modulator to connect a coax feed to the tv in the kitchen. now the picture thru hdmi is as fine showing full picture but for some reason thru the phono outs, on the screen in the kitchen connected by coax it outputs the epg screen with the picture box in the top right corner shoeing the channel which on the main tv is full picture. If anyone can help me it would be appreciated
    I have the same setup on my ET8500 to feed the tv in the kitchen. I set the front display settings to 'clone TV screen to LCD'. This works ok.
    Xtrend ET8500 x 3 tuners Openvix 1TB hard drive VIXBMC_1080_Confluence
    Another ET8500 x 4 tuners 1TB VIXBMC_1080_Confluence
    Octagon SF128 OpenATV now changed to a Formuler 1 running VIX (yet to customise)
    tele'mote app

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    ???? This is not about the front display.

Title
    Thanks
    For some reason the TV (in the kitchen) connected through the phono outs and RF modulator, does not transmit what is on the main TV (connected via HDMI). As a work around I set the front display settings to 'clone TV screen to LCD' yes. If it is set to no then it shows an enlarged version of the picon and channel info and you cannot see the picture although you do get sound.
    Xtrend ET8500 x 3 tuners Openvix 1TB hard drive VIXBMC_1080_Confluence
    Another ET8500 x 4 tuners 1TB VIXBMC_1080_Confluence
    Octagon SF128 OpenATV now changed to a Formuler 1 running VIX (yet to customise)
    tele'mote app

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234