Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repaired TM Twin-OE PSU

Title
    Thanks

Repaired TM Twin-OE PSU

One of my TM Twins pooped out yesterday - no VFD display, no response to remote, but would boot and tuner worked - but no control from remote or box buttons.

Quick investigation showed that the 100uF 400v electrolytic smoothing capacitor had overheated and blown, with signs of overheating around the ViPer22A SMPS management chip.

Dug around in my gear and found a 100uF 400v on an old PSU board from something or other. Replaced the frazzled capacitor and hey! presto! Everything working again.

If you haven't got the components, a quick check on eBay will find both the chip and the capacitor for a couple of quid, so don't automatically pay for a new PSU from Technomate if this happens to you!
    2x TM Twin-OE, Fixed dish on 28.2E, quad LNB
    http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/co...y-emoticon.gif

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Piranha For This Useful Post:

antwan (25-02-16),Mr. Mister (14-06-16),nipperlocko (18-02-16),roybach (14-06-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi there.

this has just happened to me today and just found your thread, I have contacted technomate before finding this thread and they said PSU like you said and replace it for me for £43 with return posting, but what I have done first is ordered the parts that you mentioned ie the capacitor and viper chip from fleabay and will have a go myself,

first question did you happen to take a picture to point out where the damage is or is it self explanatory and easy to spot any help is greatly appreciated

best regards nipperlocko

Title
    Thanks
    @Nipperlocko - you have probably already fixed your faulty PSU by now! Don't have a photo I'm afraid, but the fried capacitor will be easy to spot, as will the heat witness mark around the ViPer22A chip. I too bought a new PSU from Technomate just in case, which I installed. The repaired (and tested) PSU I have kept as a spare in case the board on my other TM Twin blows! Providing you observe polarity on the capacitor and orientation on the chip, you shouldn't have any problems - although you may struggle if you don't have a de-soldering 'sucker'! Best of luck!
    2x TM Twin-OE, Fixed dish on 28.2E, quad LNB
    http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/co...y-emoticon.gif

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Piranha For This Useful Post:

nipperlocko (25-02-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    lol I must of got the polarity wrong on the viper chip coz it blew again when I tried the fix so went ahead with a new PSU from technomate and all is well now thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nipperlocko View Post
    lol I must of got the polarity wrong on the viper chip coz it blew again when I tried the fix so went ahead with a new PSU from technomate and all is well now thanks

Guys, is the capacitor mentioned the really big one ?
    I can see the chip heat damaged but capacitor looks ok.
    I am attaching a picture of the PSU

This is the second PSU that has failed :-(
    The first lasted 1 year and I lost all power, the second nearly 2 years and I lost 5v so no IR remote, Display, Network ? what a load of crap

Im gonna DIY this one if I can
    tm-twin-oe-PSU.jpg
    Last edited by foxyboy; 14-06-16 at 12:01.

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    That big 1 is the mains smoothing capacitor. These very rarely go, if you change it if change the 2 smaller ones too.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks but which small ones ?? Theres a bunch :-(

Title
    Thanks
    If anyone needs to try this i can provide a ViPer22A SMPS management chip & 100uF 400v electrolytic smoothing capacitor. Had to buy a bunch a while back. Will have to post from ROI so €5 delivered in europe should cover it

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Peeps I too have a frazzled chip on the PSU, but on the chip it says yl4ml52 then sd484 ip with a line in middle which I can't read.
    What I am asking is the replacement a ViPer22A SMPS .
    Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    bump any ifo please
    Quote Originally Posted by antwan View Post
    Hi Peeps I too have a frazzled chip on the PSU, but on the chip it says yl4ml52 then sd484 ip with a line in middle which I can't read.
    What I am asking is the replacement a ViPer22A SMPS .
    Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help.

I had the same problem with my box no front display, no remote, and no buttons working.

I have replaced the

Vipper22a Chip

C20: 47uf 50v
    C3: 220uf 50v
    C17: 220uf 16v

All capacitors where sourced from maplin and Vipper22a chip ordered on eBay.

Has saved me £35 + £6 Postage technomate was quoting me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to izzy_c For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (06-05-17)

Title
    Thanks
    my viper chip is showing heat damage but i can't spot the 400v 100uf capacitor that should be replaced to fix it. I already have the capacitor so want to get it changed to see if i need the viper chip or not.. can anyone identify the right one to change.?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejoker View Post
    i can't spot the 400v 100uf capacitor that should be replaced to fix it.
    Post a close up picture.

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks

Repaired TM Twin-OE PSU

Quote Originally Posted by thejoker View Post
    my viper chip is showing heat damage but i can't spot the 400v 100uf capacitor that should be replaced to fix it. I already have the capacitor so want to get it changed to see if i need the viper chip or not.. can anyone identify the right one to change.?
    Biggest 1 on the board. 400v 100uf is a mains smoothing capacitor, rarely fail. I'd be looking at changing the 2 smaller on the primary side of the board.

Title
    Thanks
    What two smaller? Theres loads on the left hand side of the picture above, or do you mean the two blue ones that are together near the middle..?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast