Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: OpenATV image manual scan not finding anything

Title
    Thanks

OpenATV image manual scan not finding anything

Unibox HD3 with 2x sat and 1x C/T2 receiver.

The two sat tuners are B and C. Manual scan doesn't find anything.
    Only blind scan WORKS.

If I do blind scan for tuner C the receiver think the channels found belong to tuner B, so they will only work if I change the sat connection between the two tuners.

If I remove tuner B tuner C channels works again, as it is tuner B now.

Flashed with latest image for openATV official site.

Title
    Thanks
    Switched to OpenVIX latest image to compare.
    Didn't check thoroughly yet but seems to be the exact same issues.

How such crucial bugs getting missed?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Channel data is not tuner specific, it does not belong to a specific tuner. Any tuner of the type that is the same as the service should work.

Load a channel list, don't worry about scanning for now. Disconnect all tuner modules and test one module at a time. Rotate slots you are testing. This will establish what is at fault.

Title
    Thanks
    So let's say I have the same satellite twice on 2 tuners, how will I've control on choosing the one with the higher signal value?
    Is it intelligent enough to choose the best available source every time?
    And if another client try to tune to the same satellite at the same time, it will use the other available tuner resource which is free?

Tuner A is working as expected, btw.

In auto scan I've only listed tuner A and B.
    No C which is another issue.

I will try to put the two sat tuners in slot A and B as you suggested and disconnect the third cable one in the meantime.

Title
    Thanks
    I can confirm now that the issues are the same for both image groups.

I checked again with only the 2 sat tuners plugged in the first 2 slots.
    I still can only do blind scan for both tuners.
    Manual scan (single satellite) doesn't work for them both. I scan hotbird each time.

After blind scan for tuner A I can zap to the channels.
    After blind scan to tuner B, the skin still defaults to TUNER A, and it doesn't seems to switch to tuner B. So I can't view the channel. I deleted the previous scan as a precaution beforehand.

I see no reason why it will act any differently if I only connect 1 tuner, so I deem this test unnecessary at this stage.

Please help.

I found the setting System --> Customize --> Preferred tuner
    After changing it from AUTO to TUNER B, I can now tune to the channels with tuner B also.
    The setting AUTO doesn't seems to work, or maybe I don't understand its function.
    Last edited by deepspace221; 05-12-15 at 22:46.

Title
    Thanks
    Can you describe what is connected to each tuner.
    What is each tuner configured as?

Title
    Thanks
    you cannot scan from two tuners simultaneously as far as I know.

just to repeat what was said earlier, channel data is not specific to tuner.

Title
    Thanks
    I'm rearranging at the moment my dishes so, for simplicity, currently i'm just checking with 1 dish connected to hotbird and switching the cable between the tuners each time when I scan.

On both tuners it's on advance --> diseqc v1.1 --> uncommitted port 2.
    Command order is Uncommitted first (I use 8 ports diseqc).

It's my first REAL multi-tuner receiver so I'm not sure yet how it's suppose to handle this exactly, but I expected complete independence between tuners and be able to switch between them seamlessly.

Satellite.xml is at his default image state and looks to be full of frequencies for the desired satellite, so manual scan should work.

channel data is not specific to tuner
    Yes I see this now, but it doesn't select automatically the correct tuner with signal.

Is there a remote shortcut to switch tuners on the fly for a given channel?
    Last edited by deepspace221; 05-12-15 at 23:29.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deepspace221 View Post
    it doesn't select automatically the correct tuner with signal.
    It does not check signal levels. When you select a service (channel), it checks what tuners are available that can receiver that service. It also takes into account your preferances where applicable. If you preferred tuner B, but B is not available, it will use the next available tuner. It wil not consider using a tuner that cannot receive a service if tuners are configured corrrectly.

Reading between the lines, one of the dishes on your setup is not able to receive a particular satellite. (I had previously deduced from what you had posted, that one tuner was not scanning.) You have set the tuners in a manner that the receiver thinks both tuners are able to receiver all satellites properly. The solution is to configure your tuners to what is available to them. This is a must! There was a similar thread by someone in Spain who has a "small" motorised dish and a larger dish to receive 28.2. He had reception issues when the receiver was picking the tuner with the smaller dish. Basically he told the receiver that the tuner could receive 28.2 when it couldn't. Once he changed it to "USALS selecting satellites", he was able to exclude 28.2 on the smaller dish. Your issue may be similar, however solution could be different as you do not have the same setup.

8 port diseqc swithces are not very common. Here is a tutorial that may be of assitance. http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...B-Vix-image%29

It is vitally important that the tuners are configured to match what is connected to them/what they can receive.

Title
    Thanks
    Oh. I understand now. I've checked it and it was like you said.
    I didn't realized I was sabotaging myself. It was only a test not real world scenario.
    After you scanned a satellite and it finds channels you expect them to just work immediately and see what you got.
    Thank you for explaining it very clearly.

It would be useful if VIX could add SMART choices based on signal values to the algorithm, that way if one dish gets knocked off or something you'll have a backup and can resume viewing instantly. It should not stay on a DEAD tuner if there is one with a live signal and it is a free resource.

Is there a quick fix, a way I can force the receiver to use the tuner I want right then and there, instead of going all the way through the settings, if it's not on the preferred tuner? Maybe a plugin of the sorts?
    What you described with the big and smaller motorized dishes is about my situation, and I would like a way to quickly force the tuner I want to use, if the situation arise. There may be some duplicates with the satellites (I understood the solution you described).
    Do I need to configure a remote macro to do this?

I kinda found out by chance what was causing the 0 results in manual scan.
    The dish it is connected to is a toroidal dish (just installed it), and I'm not sure how, but what seemed to have happened is that all the polarization values are somehow reversed now... That is way it only found channels in blind scan.
    After reversing the polarization values in satellite.xml manually, it is now finding them all.
    Maybe you could tell me what I did wrong there... and how this could have happened...
    Is it normal for this type of dish?

Thank God I found out what was wrong. It was driving me nuts.

The only issue now that remains is that in "automatic scan" I've only listed 2 tuners (A and B) and not tuner C.

Thank you so much for your help thus far.
    Last edited by deepspace221; 06-12-15 at 04:32.

Title
    Thanks
    You should not have to edit the satellites.xml file. Best thing is to list what is on the end of each cable that is connected to the tuner. If a satellite is not receivable on a dish, then for all intents and purposes, it is not available on that dish.

And then for each tuner, explicitly post what tuner config is. Separate answer for each tuner

Hopefully what is physically connected to each tuner (and viewable) matches what you have configured it to in the tuner settings.

Title
    Thanks
    I don't think you understood what I've said.

I did some research and apparently you're suppose to use "reverse polarity lnbs" (expensive), for that reason.
    Every time the signal bounce of the dish it changes polarization and since I've in torodial dish 2 bounces like those, I get the other polarization and can't use the "normal" satellite.xml file.
    I use regular standard lnbs so I guess I'll have to do with my solution for now.
    I need to find (or create) a tool like http://satellites-xml.eu/ which will generate those reverse values for me.
    Hope one already exist.

That's what some light reading taught me, anyway. I need to research this a bit more.
    Last edited by deepspace221; 06-12-15 at 23:45.