Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Wetek - An Enigma? Some thoughts on a Kodi 15.2 and E2 system

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts

Wetek - An Enigma? Some thoughts on a Kodi 15.2 and E2 system

Crowded into my house are 4 media players (Dune/Mede8er) and an Apple TV used to play the 500+ video library based on 3 NAS boxes.
    I have long looked for a better solution where I could use both Enigma2 (preferably OpenViX) and something like Kodi, so was instantly interested in the Wetek Play as a possible solution.

But 1st thanks to PB/Wetek for creating an E2 image on a ARM chip box, OpenATV for incorporating it into the OE-A and OpenVix for supplying my E2 image core from which I have built the "OpenViX" image.

Having tried to use the PBimage (and no available PB Git), I quickly wondered off to look at other alternatives and found that OpenATV were building an E2 image, so I incorporated all those changes into the OpenVix Wetek branch and ................... some months later I have an "OpenViX" full Kodi 15.2 image .... all on an micro SD card

So how does it run etc?
    First E2 and Kodi 15.2 alternate - they don't run at the same time, which for me is fine but it does mean that it cannot run as your main E2 box, although my Wetek has 2 DVB-S2 tuners. The SD card is split into 3 file systems to support the E2/Kodi 15.2 requirements.

E2 features/Performance? Well as far as I have tested (Note: I don't run timeshift on my OpenViX receivers) everything runs like Vix You cannot stress it too much - recording 2 channels and then playing back one whilst still recording (to a very slow USB stick) kind of caused a few overhead issues and made it very slow to respond to the remote, but it didn't crash
    Setup is like any E2 receiver, nothing special.
    Normally boot time and general responsiveness is surprisingly good..... and apart from the fact that you cannot do a couch image update, everything seems like a normal Vix image.
    The (optional) Wetek E2 remote is not wonderful (limited keys) but the RCU addon in E2 allows the Wetek to run with a collection of remotes and certainly my Xtrend remote works pretty well.
    I have run the Wetek both direct and via the remote fallback tuner and picture quality on my Monitor (it outputs 720/1080P) is good.
    Audio? - needs more testing as to get Dolby etc I am sure it will need to output via the spdif output ... not ideal.
    ABM/EPG - haven't tried crossepg (I use XMLTV Importer) but otherwise standard.
    Skins? A reasonable selection, although I have yet to force a 1080 skin onto the box, so don't know if that will work.

Kodi 15.2 - with (I have to say) my limited but developing knowledge of Kodi, its a normal Kodi 15.2 system except that you need to be careful which remote you are running with to get it to respond sometimes - I usually use the default Wetek (non E2 remote!)

So next steps, finish off my Kodi video library testing, Audio tests!!!! etc etc

Play Time
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Clabs (20-11-15),duoduo (20-11-15),gerrykiddy (20-11-15),Mr. Mister (20-11-15),Sicilian (20-11-15),tappari (20-11-15),TK4|2|1 (20-11-15)

Title
    Thanks
    I bet you didn't expect this!!!!!!

Is there any chance you might share this image. I cannot imagine I would ever be able to do what you have done. Not sure how WOS would feel about it but "If you do not ask then ....

Regards and well done

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Hi twol..

Any chance of a wee tutorial on how you set everything up please.. ??

File system etc etc on sd card.. ??
    process.. etc etc.. ??

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    Please share, I'd love to try your vix wetek image.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrykiddy View Post
    I bet you didn't expect this!!!!!!

Is there any chance you might share this image. I cannot imagine I would ever be able to do what you have done. Not sure how WOS would feel about it but "If you do not ask then ....

Regards and well done
    Actually "others" (see my thank you) have done all the hard work, and building your image is even easier provided you have a linux (preferably Ubuntu) system and follow the various tutorials around on OpenVix, Openatv and Openpli.
    The real benefit for me is having an OE-A where so much is shared and providing you can get your brain aroung using Git (where most of the image libraries reside) its not too difficult... Although it can be frustrating when something doesn,t work or a component goes missing
    In answer to your question, the issue is not the image but all the plugins and when you build your own image, you also build the feeds for the plugins etc which for an Arm architecture box is important as you cannot just pick up a plugin and expect it to run
    I also am aware that a fair amount of work has been done by Vix on the wetek .... It's just that another Arm box has taken up a lot of OpenVix time recently ...why anyone would be interested in a 4K box is beyond me
    So I do hope that Vix can find the time (and I appreciate they really are busy guys, with other jobs as well), to finish off the Wetek Vix code.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mister View Post
    Hi twol..

Any chance of a wee tutorial on how you set everything up please.. ??

File system etc etc on sd card.. ??
    process.. etc etc.. ??

Yep, will do just need some time during next week. I found it really interesting to see what can be done on a micro SD card and an Arm architecture.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

gerrykiddy (21-11-15),Mr. Mister (20-11-15)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Twol, for the time being please do not release this image, kindly keep for your own personal use.

Drop you a pm over the weekend.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

twol (20-11-15)

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Twol, for the time being please do not release this image, kindly keep for your own personal use.

Drop you a pm over the weekend.
    Does this mean VIX are working on an image???? I hope so.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TK4|2|1 View Post
    Does this mean VIX are working on an image???? I hope so.
    Not yet no.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Not yet? but you are talking with them?

I would love to have a OpenVix image on WeTek

Title