Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Unresponsive Remote Fix

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Unresponsive Remote Fix

Hi there,

I've had an LX3 now for a few years and I've always found the response of the remote pretty poor but it was manageable as the receiver was always directly in front of the sofa. I recently moved gaff and the sittingroom was a rectangle so the sofa had to be at an angle to the receiver.

The caused the remote to be unbearable to the point I was hardly using it and considered buying another brand of receiver. As I last resort I contacted Golden Interstar and I got email support from a very helpful chap called Udo.

Anyway, long story short he said the issue was the IR receiving diode on the front panel was sitting too far back from the front glass and I've a few options.

1. Try bending forward the diode so it is closer to the glass.
    2. Extend the diode terminals to allow the whole diode to sit closer to the glass.
    3. Replace the diode and leave it sitting further from the circuit board.

I went for option 1 initially and although it did help a little it still wasn't great. I went back to Udo with a few suggestions and he suggested to remove the shielding around the diode to see if that helped.

I took the front panel off again, removed the metal shielding around the diode and moved the bend further up the legs of the diode so it sat closer to the glass and put it back together. Bingo, it's like a new receiver, so much more responsive. It's not the best remote I've ever used as I've still to point it in the direction of the receiver but it's a great change for me.

So, anyone suffering the same dilemmas then give it a try. It takes a bit of careful navigation getting the front panel off the receiver as you've to disconnect the WiFi cable and a ribbon cable to the front panel but it's not a major operation.

Best of luck..

Cheers,
    mcquaim

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mcquaim For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (28-10-15),aido (28-10-15),Larry-G (28-10-15),Mr. Mister (28-10-15),nsw9154 (28-10-15),roybach (28-10-15)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    An other option would have been to use a Harmony remote. They have such a huge 'headlight', that all my boxes (even the ones that suffer from the same issue as you described) respond to the Harmony, even when pointing in a completely different direction.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    I find the harmony very unresponsive, laggy and end up with double presses. Online support completely useless.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I have (had) several Harmonies and have complete different experiences. As I said I can use them by 'shining' in any direction.
    Also with their support, although quality has gone down a bit the last couple of years, experience is rather good.

Title
    Thanks
    Harmony is nice. But my Harmony need all 4 weeks new battery's.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    If you have an Ipad, another option is to use an IP remote controller (..and forget about the IR) ... see my signature
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    That Harmony Hub is great - I use the phone app linked to that way more than the Ultimate remote that came with it!

This is a great post for LX3 owners so thank-you very much - i've got to admit mine isn't as responsive as some other boxes I've used but I don't think it was as bad as yours as I use it from quite an angle anyway and it still works for me.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcquaim View Post
    Hi there,

I've had an LX3 now for a few years and I've always found the response of the remote pretty poor but it was manageable as the receiver was always directly in front of the sofa. I recently moved gaff and the sittingroom was a rectangle so the sofa had to be at an angle to the receiver.

The caused the remote to be unbearable to the point I was hardly using it and considered buying another brand of receiver. As I last resort I contacted Golden Interstar and I got email support from a very helpful chap called Udo.

Anyway, long story short he said the issue was the IR receiving diode on the front panel was sitting too far back from the front glass and I've a few options.

1. Try bending forward the diode so it is closer to the glass.
    2. Extend the diode terminals to allow the whole diode to sit closer to the glass.
    3. Replace the diode and leave it sitting further from the circuit board.

I went for option 1 initially and although it did help a little it still wasn't great. I went back to Udo with a few suggestions and he suggested to remove the shielding around the diode to see if that helped.

I took the front panel off again, removed the metal shielding around the diode and moved the bend further up the legs of the diode so it sat closer to the glass and put it back together. Bingo, it's like a new receiver, so much more responsive. It's not the best remote I've ever used as I've still to point it in the direction of the receiver but it's a great change for me.

So, anyone suffering the same dilemmas then give it a try. It takes a bit of careful navigation getting the front panel off the receiver as you've to disconnect the WiFi cable and a ribbon cable to the front panel but it's not a major operation.

Best of luck..

Cheers,
    mcquaim

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Nice fix, although a better solution would be for the manufacturer to remedy this with a hardware update for newer models, thats if they have not already.

Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    I find the harmony very unresponsive, laggy and end up with double presses. Online support completely useless.
    I have exactly the opposite experience from using both a harmony 600 and 650 for at least the past two years or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothar2 View Post
    Harmony is nice. But my Harmony need all 4 weeks new battery's.
    My two harmony's run approximately 6 to 9 months with a single set of batteries, and both of them are used as the primary remote for their intended devices and handled all day long. my only gripe is that I use them so much that the keys are starting to wear through a bit and by that i mean the paint wearing off showing the clear back-lit keys.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The support guy was very quick to point to where the issue was so I reckon it probably is fixed on newer ones!

I'm not sure if a Harmony remote would have worked much better with the way the IR receiver was located in the front panel initially. It was probably 1cm away from the glass and then shielded also so only a tiny part of it was exposed.. Maybe that is how they normally come but taking the shield off and bending it outwards is working great for me!

If it helps anyone else then happy days and if not then I'm still delighted lol...
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcquaim View Post
    I'm not sure if a Harmony remote would have worked much better with the way the IR receiver was located in the front panel initially.
    I have (had) two boxes with exactly that same issue. The powerful IR-light of the Harmony 'fixed' that in both cases.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    This fix was cost free but a harmony is far from it
    D I S C L A I M E R

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    A Harmony is far from expensive (no need to buy one over 50 quid) and once you've got one, you won't understand you could ever do without it.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    A Harmony is far from expensive (no need to buy one over 50 quid) and once you've got one, you won't understand you could ever do without it.
    Totally agree with Rob had my harmony 650 for six months now controls 4 boxes and never changed the batterys .
    Mutant HD2400 , 2 x DVB-S/S2, 2x DVB-T/T2/C ,OpenVix version 5.1.0028 , Simple Ten Eighty skin , and Tosh picons , remote Harmony 650, Amazon firestick

thisntaht
    Guys do the Harmony range of remote controls work with the VU+ Duo2?
    I find the standard remote with the Duo2 beyond useless.
    Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Yes mate, they'll work with pretty much anything that uses IR - if the device you want isn't already in the online database you can just learn the commands as required.

The Duo2 is fully supported and you can check all your other devices here:
    https://support.myharmony.com/en-gb/compatibility

The higher end devices also support RF devices and even Bluetooth should you have any.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to aido For This Useful Post: