Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: vodafone HG658c

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

vodafone HG658c

Hi All
    Hopefully a quick question some one may be able to help with

I have a vodafone hg658c fibre bband router
    i have put this router into bridging mode
    i picked up a netgear wnr 2200 and flashed it with dd-wrt and everything is looking ok works fine speed is fine

What I dont seem to be able to get working is
    my vf router has an IP add of say 192.168.100.1 dhcp off wifi off
    My netgear is 192.168.100.4 wifi on dhcp on

No problems connecting to any device on the netgear
    but cant connect to or ping the voda router unless I plug in a cable and change my ip add

should it be possible to browse to the voda router as they are both on same subnet ?
    Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Not an expert, but I guess your netgear only knows about 192.168.100.4 -> 255
    So the only way of talking to the router is via an ethernet cable
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    If you're operating the Voda in bridge mode, then it's not a router any more - just a modem passing through the WAN connectivity to the netgear. It should be "transparent" as all the DHCP and wi-fi is being handled by the netgear. That's really the whole point of bridging. Why would you need to ping the Vodafone modem in any case? The only reason I can see is if you wanted to check the VDSL signal levels/quality and you would have to make a cable connection to it in that case.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies guys
    Yep tony thats about the height of it to check quality
    Was also thinking maybe I could use the sip port on back of it
    I had got it working with blueface but it does not appear to be possible to use voip on it while in bridging mode
    And there is no phone port on the netgear so if I want to use the trunk I would have to get some other adapter
    which would not be a big deal I suppose as i only paid €9 for the netgear
    cheers

Title
    Thanks
    The wi-fi and router on the Vodafone box is actually not bad, quite configureable, so unless the netgear is a gigabit router with wireless-ac (doubt it if it was only €9), I'm not quite sure why you're bridging the Voda? It occasionally "runs out of steam" on the wi-fi side if you're stressing it, but otherwise is ok.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    No vpn and no monitoring of bandwidth usage

I see from your profile your in wicklow too :-)

Title
    Thanks
    The VPN (or lack of) would be a good reason to use a separate router, all right. I operated my previous DSL modem in bridged mode for years, but that was because of lack of wi-fi on the old eircom modem.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

gerinemo (27-09-15)