Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which amp would be suitable? looking for suggestions?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 878 Posts
    Yes, I would suggest you do your homework carefully as regards need for optical/coax S/PDIF connections. My seven year old Onkyo has three optical and three coax S/PDIF connectors but also only three HDMI in connectors. The HDMI out connector to the TV does not support HDMI ARC which is a newer facility where a "smart" TV can output audio back to the amplifier. As an example, my plasma TV had a hardware failure a couple of months ago which was too expensive to repair, so I replaced it with a new TV with built-in internet connectivity which support Netflix etc. Because my amp does not support ARC, I couldn't use the HDMI connection for the return audio channel. I ended up using an optical to coax converter because the only cable I had available was a coax buried in the wall behind the TV.
    So, plenty of HDMI inputs/outputs, preferably supporting the latest HDMI standards including ARC. Optical or coax S/PDIF as required, but these won't support high-resolution audio - just compressed Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 or maybe 96kHz stereo PCM. HDMI supports all the high-end audio and video standards.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Ps though your sat box won't be transferring HD audio so not that much of a worry regarding optical.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    My idea was to use the optical from tv to amp with the speakers connected to amp obviously.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Duo
    Vu+ Solo
    Gigablue HD 800 SE

All with latest vix image - Autobouquets - SgtFlipflop 28.2e Picons - WebradioFS

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    i also have the onkyo tx-sr875 and doubt very much if ceiling speakers are the way to go,my bad boys are the klipsch synergy range,2 floor standing,2 rear,2midway centre and 12" sub.
    for the power of these amps may shake the ceiling to bits.
    running cables can be a pain as they are heavy.
    satellite speakers by wifi?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,887 Times in 2,242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    i also have the onkyo tx-sr875 and doubt very much if ceiling speakers are the way to go,my bad boys are the klipsch synergy range,2 floor standing,2 rear,2midway centre and 12" sub.
    for the power of these amps may shake the ceiling to bits.
    running cables can be a pain as they are heavy.
    satellite speakers by wifi?
    I use the Kef wifi speaker extender (forgotten what they call it) for my rear speakers, so provides cable less speakers that can be placed anywhere.
    They are in an area suurounded by other wifi boxes (including 2 wifi routers) that could cause interference but apart from the very occasional "blip" they run perfectly.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12