Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MB Premium Twin gains time in Deep Standby - debug assistance needed!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts

MB Premium Twin gains time in Deep Standby - debug assistance needed!

My MB twin has started coming out of Deep Standby at the wrong time - too early! The box is kept in the bedroom and is not used much. I have a PowerTimer set to boot the box from deep standby each day at 18.00. My ABM is set to run at 18.04 and CrossEPG at 18.07. The PowerTimer then shuts the box down and returns to deep standby at 18.10. I also have another PowerTimer which puts the box in deep standby after 15 minutes in normal standby. I do this to minimise electricity consumption as the box is idle most of the time.

I've noticed recently that the box is actually booting at about 17.12 and goes into standby mode. After 15 mins the second PowerTimer kicks in and returns the box to deep standby. The box then boots again about 17.59 and ABM and CrossEPG run as scheduled and the box shuts down to deep standby at 18.10 as it should. It does this every day if I haven't used the box in the interim. I've found out that the clock/ticker in the front panel (which runs when the box is in deep standby) is gaining two minutes every hour. If I use the box at (say) 12.00 and then put it into deep standby manually, it will then wake at 17.48 - 12 minutes early! This is quite repeatable. I've tried various intervals and the box always boots from deep at ( 2 x hour_interval) minutes early. I updated the Front Panel firmware from the Plug-Ins menu some months back. It was on version 2.00.31 of RHS500SV. Thinking that it might be to blame I have updated to 2.00.32 but this has made no difference.

I'd like to rule out a hardware issue with my box and would like some help from MB Premium Twin owners in identifying the issue please

What you could do for me is to set a PowerTimer for a time which is a number of hours in the future - at least 6 preferably. Put the box in Deep Standby and then check the time the box actually boots. If it's the same as mine it will boot 6 minutes early for three hours or 10 minutes for five hours etc. I'ts preferable to set a PowerTimer, rather than a recording timer, as recording timers will start earlier than scheduled in any case dependant on your own recording settings. If the PowerTimer boots at the correct time, please respond on the thread and let me know what version your Front Panel firmware is, please. This info is on the box information menu under frontprocessor version. You can also check it by looking at /var/log/messages and searching for MCU. My MCU details from messages is:
    Code:
    {129}[MCU] ver : 2.00.32
    {129}[MCU] model : RHS500SV
    {129}[MCU] power : RCU
    Thanks!
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    I set one for +6 hours and it woke up ~11 mins early.
    Code:
    {188}[MCU] ver : 2.00.31
    {188}[MCU] model : RHS500SV
    {188}[MCU] power : WUTIME
    At least waking up early allows it to have another go over a shorter time period. Much better than waking up late.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

3. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Joe_90 (28-07-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Ok, thanks for that birdman . Your micom firmware version is the same as my previous one where I noticed the issue starting. It's almost certainly the firmware/driver then. I'll see if the boss can source an earlier version than 2.00.31. I think that the power parameter must mean RCU = remote control, WUTIME = wake up from deep, or SWITCH = boot up from cold. I've seen all three states in my logs.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Confirmed by Stef also on another MB Twin. Has been reported as a Micom firmware problem. We await a fix...

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    Confirmed by Stef also on another MB Twin. Has been reported as a Micom firmware problem. We await a fix...
    As long as any fix doesn't make it wake up too late....
    As noted, waking early is not an issue. I once wrote wake-up code which deliberately fired early, allowing the (same) code to make a better estimate - just in case the clock was inaccurate or had been changed.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    It's an issue all right. Depends on user configuration. How I noticed it in the first place was that ABM/CrossEPG were not running some days but worked fine on others. It turned out that on the days it failed I had been watching something on the box about six hours previously and had put it in standby afterwards. I have a PowerTimer which puts the box in deep standby after 10 minutes in normal standby. When the box booted from deep about 12 minutes early subsequently, it was sitting in standby waiting for the ABM and CrossEPG jobs to run. Just before the ABM job was due to run, my other PowerTimer shut the box down due to 10 minutes inactivity - result no ABM or CrossEPG!

Probably by changing the "wakeup to standby" setting this issue might be worked around, but you're right in that it would be worse if the clock ran slow.

As regards coding for waking early - the Humax Freesat DVR wakes 15 minutes before a scheduled recording if you have "accurate recording" set. It waits and monitors the EIT now/next data until it receives the trigger that the programme is starting and fires off the recording. Useful if the programme start is delayed for some reason. Totally dependent on accurate EIT data from the broadcaster, though. Works fine for the BBCs/ITVs/C4s. Other broadcasters just trigger the change based on the clock schedule, but the actual programme might have started early or late.

Title
    Thanks
    It's an issue all right. ....
    As a workaround you could put in two Power Timer wakeups - 1 for 17:30 and 1 for 18:00. The second one (the one you want) will then be more accurate.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for that. I have a workaround strategy, but the issue has been reported and hopefully the ticker will be fixed. I don't know who actually develops the FP code or where it might be available in source format. Nothing much comes up when you google Micom front panel code. Lots of stuff about alarm panels etc. The compiled code all seems to reside in
    Code:
    code-ini.com
    where it's picked up by the various images as an update.
    I noticed a commit to oe-alliance this morning which references a deep standby fix on Ceryon, but I don't know if it's related:
    Code:
    https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-alliance-core/commit/494e0377c92d953577dcddbd496aaea35302fcc8

Title
    Thanks
    @birdman - could you post a screenshot of the ViX Information page from the menu on your MB Twin, please? I'm just trying to cross-check something.

Title
    Thanks
    @birdman - could you post a screenshot of the ViX Information page from the menu on your MB Twin, please? I'm just trying to cross-check something.
    Is this the one you mean?

BBC ONE HD-2292015-137.jpg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Joe_90 (22-09-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks birdman. I wanted to check that I wasn't losing my marbles! I am testing a Micom Front Panel upgrade and it has changed some of the details on the info page and I wanted to compare. Seems to have fixed the fast running clock but it's causing slight issues with the characters displayed. Will post a screengrab shortly.

Title
    Thanks
    Seems to have fixed the fast running clock....
    It's not that much of a problem. In fact, since I'm seeing the occasional problem with boots getting stuck the fact that it starts early is useful, as it allows my "boot sanity" script to reboot the system until it succeeds.

How far in advance of a recording is the box "supposed" to wake up? Could it be configurable? (Well, it obviously can be as enigma2 sets the wakeup timer on shutdown, but what would it take to make it so).

Title
    Thanks
    My GB Quad+ wakes up about 3 minutes before a scheduled recording. The MB Twin was waking up about the same until the last Front Panel microcode update. The fast running deep standby timer was gaining about 2 minutes per hour, so if you had nothing waking up the box for 24 hours it was booting 48 minutes early. The new code I've just tested sorts that out but it has introduced other issues, which are being checked out.

I've also had an on-going problem where the box doesn't go into standby when it boots up for a timer recording. Instead, it zaps to the channel and performs the recording. The channel name is visible on the display. After the recording it stays on the channel. Therefore the box is not in standby, so my shutdown timer (deep standby after 10 minutes in standby) never kicks in and the box stays on. The box should boot into standby when woken by a timer (as opposed to being woken by the remote when it should zap to the last channel viewed).

Title
    Thanks
    My GB Quad+ wakes up about 3 minutes before a scheduled recording. The MB Twin was waking up about the same until the last Front Panel microcode update.
    Hence the question about whether the advance "wake-up time" is configurable (although, if necessary, I'm sure I can hard-wire a suitable time for myself). It takes almost 3 mins to get to the point where a recording would actually be fired off, so if the boot hangs and a reboot (or two - last night) is needed I might well end up missing the start of the actual programme.
    And I don't want to add 10 mins of pre-padding.

The box should boot into standby when woken by a timer....
    I believe that mine does so, but doesn't always shutdown afterwards. I'll try to keep an eye on the FP to see what state it gets to for recordings.

Title
    Thanks
    That didn't take long. Looks like you're right.

The box was definitely off (uptime 43mins) and there.is now a timer recording running.

But the FP is showing the channel name (so the box isn't in Standby).

It also seems that this does happen a lot of the time (so I was wrong in my reporting above) as with the channel name showing it also shows the "changing icon" for a recording (in Standby it only show the time), and I now remember seeing this for most recordings (although some of those, of course, happen when the box was already out of standby).

Perhaps the FP flag indicating that wakeup was from a timer is inaccurate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast