Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I set up OpenVPN client to connect to VPN from the box?

Title
    Thanks
    sorry guys i have amended the files in etc/openvpn and it now runs but it doesnt connect to the remote server but it only kills my internet connection on the box.
    when i ssh i dont get any ip address in the command window.
    when i stop openvpn my network connection becomes active again and when i ssh it displays my vm wan ip address.
    im sure the username and password are correct because i have accessed the socks 5 proxy on my phone. I also tried generating a new one and
    i have tried different ovpn config files from different servers.
    vu+ solo2 1tb hdd
    vu+ duo2, 2x dvb c/c/t2 1tb hdd
    lg 55" 4ktv, lg 42" led
    13.0e, 19.2e, 28.2e
    100 meg vm broadband

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    As Dfox has said you shouldn't have to touch the info inside your configuration files.
    All I have done is download my openvpn configuration files from my provider.
    Rename the openvpn file for the area you want to connect to I.E US East.ovpn rename client.config.
    Then FTP this into the box along with the ca.crt. file and the crl.pem files.
    Job done

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashley69 For This Useful Post:

hammyboy (04-08-15)

Title
    Thanks
    You could try telnetting to the box and then running the following
    Code:
    tail -f /var/log/messages
    and then try starting OpenVPN on the box, hopefully in your telnet session it will show the error you're getting, if it's connecting properly you should see the message "initialization sequence complete."
    You can press [CTRL] + C to stop the earlier command.

As other people using this service says it just works maybe there is something strange about your set up? Is your box plugged directly in to your router? if not, is it on the same IP address range as the router?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ArowonA For This Useful Post:

hammyboy (04-08-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArowonA View Post
    You could try telnetting to the box and then running the following
    Code:
    tail -f /var/log/messages
    and then try starting OpenVPN on the box, hopefully in your telnet session it will show the error you're getting, if it's connecting properly you should see the message "initialization sequence complete."
    You can press [CTRL] + C to stop the earlier command.

As other people using this service says it just works maybe there is something strange about your set up? Is your box plugged directly in to your router? if not, is it on the same IP address range as the router?
    i think my setup is straightforward enough my box is wired to a netgear 5 port gigabit switch which is cabled to the router in another room so i dont think that should be an issue but i may be wrong. the router is 192.168.0.1 and the box is 192.168.0.7.

the only way i can get openvpn to start is to modify the client.conf file and insert password.conf as per walnuts instruction but this only serves to kill the internet connection on the box.

i have also placedthe password.conf file in etc/openvpn. it has has the socks5 proxy username -( begins with x) only on the 1st line with the password only on the second line.
    the username and password are 100% correct as per the p.i.a client support page after i log in to the control panel.

i can see an error when i start a telnet session and then start openvpn but it seems to point to the password.

i have attached a log of the error along with the client.conf file.
    thanks for all the help guys.
    client.conf.txt
    putty.log
    vu+ solo2 1tb hdd
    lg 55" 4ktv, lg 42" led
    13.0e, 19.2e, 28.2e
    100 meg vm broadband

Title
    Thanks
    It says it's connecting successfully, The password error is because of the reason I posted in the other post ( http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...=1#post367589_ ) it's not important.

It's normal for internet access to go down once connected, it can take a few seconds to start routing properly. what happens if you connect and then run
    Code:
    ping 8.8.8.8
    do you get any replies?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ArowonA For This Useful Post:

hammyboy (05-08-15)

Title
    Thanks
    hammyboy
    for what its worth
    your client.conf is exactly the same as mine, (except you have a different server) i've looked at your putty.log but it might as well be in Chinese Sorry

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wallnut For This Useful Post:

hammyboy (05-08-15)

Title
    Thanks
    It says it's connecting successfully, The password error is because of the reason I posted in the other post ( http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...=1#post367589_ ) it's not important.

It's normal for internet access to go down once connected, it can take a few seconds to start routing properly. what happens if you connect and then run
    Code:
    ping 8.8.8.8
    do you get any replies?
    i can telnet to the box and get replies when i ping 8.8.8.8 with openvpn stopped.

with openvpn running and i telnet to the box firstly it takes about 10 seconds to allow me to login then when i ping 8.8.8.8 i still get replies though thetimes are 123ms as opposed to 22ms with openvpn stopped.

when i run openvpn and use ssh wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echo i do not get an ip returned in the command window.
    when i stop openvpn and try it reads the vm ip address which leads me to conclude that it isnt connecting through the remote server though i have to admit that i have a very limited knowledge of all this and am grateful for all your assistance.
    vu+ solo2 1tb hdd
    lg 55" 4ktv, lg 42" led
    13.0e, 19.2e, 28.2e
    100 meg vm broadband

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wallnut View Post
    hammyboy
    for what its worth
    your client.conf is exactly the same as mine, (except you have a different server) i've looked at your putty.log but it might as well be in Chinese Sorry
    thanks for the help m8 i dont have much knowledge of these logs either i am limited to moving files and ftp'ing etc and usually spend loads of time trying to get little tweaks and different things to work.
    vu+ solo2 1tb hdd
    lg 55" 4ktv, lg 42" led
    13.0e, 19.2e, 28.2e
    100 meg vm broadband

Title
    Thanks
    The fact you are getting a reply (albeit slowly) means it's connected successfully, why you don't get a reply from "wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echo" could be DNS isn't working or ipecho.net is blocking connections from your VPN. Once connected try running
    Code:
    nslookup www.bbc.co.uk
    If you get requested timed-out or something similar try
    Code:
    nslookup www.bbc.co.uk 8.8.8.8
    if you get a result from that like
    Code:
    Server:    8.8.8.8
    Address 1: 8.8.8.8 google-public-dns-a.google.com

Name:      www.bbc.co.uk
    Address 1: 212.58.244.71 bbc-vip116.telhc.bbc.co.uk
    Address 2: 212.58.244.70 bbc-vip115.telhc.bbc.co.uk
    then there is a problem with your DNS settings, maybe Virgin won't let you use their servers while connected to the VPN, a way roung this would be to configure your box with a static IP address something similar to
    Code:
    IP: 192.168.0.245
    MASK: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    DNS1: 8.8.8.8
    DNS2: 8.8.4.4
    If you get a proper response from the first nslookup command, try running
    Code:
    curl icanhazip.com
    to see if you get a reply and a different IP address.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ArowonA For This Useful Post:

hammyboy (05-08-15)

Title
    Thanks
    thank you ArowonA

I changed the network setup to static as per your suggestion and i am now connected online and have openvpn running.

i have verified the non vm ip using the wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echo command.

many thanks for your assistance and patience.
    ham
    vu+ solo2 1tb hdd
    lg 55" 4ktv, lg 42" led
    13.0e, 19.2e, 28.2e
    100 meg vm broadband

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hammyboy For This Useful Post:

ArowonA (05-08-15)

Title
    Thanks
    sorry if i am asking for too much but i was thinking that i may want to remotely access the box from my laptop while away from home.
    i know this was easily enough done as i have used it previously by forwarding ports on my router but im not sure it was totally secure apart from using a strong password.
    do i need to connect to p.i.a on the laptop or do i just forward the relevant ports on the router considering openvpn is running on the box?
    ham
    vu+ solo2 1tb hdd
    lg 55" 4ktv, lg 42" led
    13.0e, 19.2e, 28.2e
    100 meg vm broadband

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hammyboy View Post
    i was thinking that i may want to remotely access the box from my laptop while away from home.
    i know this was easily enough done as i have used it previously by forwarding ports on my router but im not sure it was totally secure apart from using a strong password.
    do i need to connect to p.i.a on the laptop or do i just forward the relevant ports on the router considering openvpn is running on the box?
    ham
    It's kinda complicated while being connected with OpenVPN!

Port forwarding on your router won't work, as any traffic in would get forwarded to the box, but the box will be replying over the VPN (so from a different IP address) which will get blocked, it would be like saying "Hello" to someone and someone else answering, you would probably just ignore them

Connecting you laptop to the PIA VPN won't work either, just because both are on the same VPN doesn't mean you will have access to your box or other computers on the VPN. (Something like hamachi could do this, but I don't think any VPN providers give this option)

Some VPN providers allow port-forwarding, I think PIA allow it too but on a dynamic port, your best option would be to ask on their forums.

I use AirVPN and they allow port forwarding of any ports above 2048, so for that to work you would need to change the port for Openwebif,
    although I'm not sure how secure it is having ports forwarded directly to your box.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ArowonA For This Useful Post:

hammyboy (07-08-15)

Title
    Thanks
    It's kinda complicated while being connected with OpenVPN!

Port forwarding on your router won't work, as any traffic in would get forwarded to the box, but the box will be replying over the VPN (so from a different IP address) which will get blocked, it would be like saying "Hello" to someone and someone else answering, you would probably just ignore them

Connecting you laptop to the PIA VPN won't work either, just because both are on the same VPN doesn't mean you will have access to your box or other computers on the VPN. (Something like hamachi could do this, but I don't think any VPN providers give this option)

Some VPN providers allow port-forwarding, I think PIA allow it too but on a dynamic port, your best option would be to ask on their forums.

I use AirVPN and they allow port forwarding of any ports above 2048, so for that to work you would need to change the port for Openwebif,
    although I'm not sure how secure it is having ports forwarded directly to your box.
    thanks for the info ArowanA but it sounds way over my head i wont bother messing with it as it isnt that important to me and i dont have the knowledge to give myself any headaches with it.
    ham
    vu+ solo2 1tb hdd
    lg 55" 4ktv, lg 42" led
    13.0e, 19.2e, 28.2e
    100 meg vm broadband

Title
    Thanks
    You could also manually start openvpn when you need it, I can't imagine you need it all the time?
    That way you would also be able to connect remotely (assuming it wasn't running)

Title
    Thanks
    i have only used the webif remotely occasionally while away from home by forwarding a random high port on my router and protecting it with a password but im sure i read that even this wasnt really secure and the only way to securely remotely connect to your box was to set up or use a vpn but maybe i have got mixed up somewhere along the line.
    you are indeed correct that openvpn doesnt need to run all the time on the box (though i have autostart enabled) so i will probably just disable autostart and run openvpn when i want to use ts media etc.
    i can then set up a forwarded port and password to remotely stream from the box but as i said this would only be occasionally.

thanks again for all your input
    ham
    vu+ solo2 1tb hdd
    lg 55" 4ktv, lg 42" led
    13.0e, 19.2e, 28.2e
    100 meg vm broadband

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast