Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Increasingly unresponsive and misbehaving Ultimo

parkher

Increasingly unresponsive and misbehaving Ultimo

I wonder if anyone had similar issues.

It all began on Friday when the internet connection was interrupted both for Ultimo and for Duo2 and for the PC, etc, - the whole lan.
    I suspected the ISP and then the router/modem and the switch. Turns out, the culprit was Ultimo. When Ultimo is switched off - the internet is working again.
    Then the same day I found out that my internal hard drive on Ultimo is empty. At that point I ran a file system check (probably I should not have) - it created missing directories, and what else?
    I also noticed that after switching to a different channel it is no longer decrypted. And the response to the remote buttons is very slow - 2-3 seconds at best.

Anyway, I disconnected the (empty?- hopefully not?) internal hard drive - it did not help. So this unresponsiveness was not caused by the hard drive.
    Then I noticed that the heatsink on the CPU is very hot. So I thought my Ultimo is toasted - using more and more current and generating more and more heat and that in turn causes more and more current to be used, etc.

But now I am told that it is normal for the heatsink to be hot.
    I now am inclined to believe it. The receiver again became unresponsive to remote (Still showing Rafa with Nola perfectly, though). I tried to get into it through telnet - no such luck.

So I switched it off and rebooted immediately - it had no time to cool off. It is working ok, even though still hot. So it proves, that the problem is not the heat, I think.
    BTW, currently the box is open but the AC is set to 18 degrees Celsius and it is blowing directly into Ultimo

Currently I am trying to see what is going on with top command via telnet.
    There has to be a cpu or memory leak?

I see, for example, that initially, while everything is still OK, enigma2 is using 30% of memory and about 3-4% of CPU, mgcamd: 2% of memory, 7-8% of CPU.
    I will see how it looks in 2-3 hours.
    Last edited by parkher; 03-06-15 at 16:59.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    What cam are you using?

parkher
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    What cam are you using?
    MGcamd.1.35a

My ViX image is very old on this receiver. 2.4 build 213
    Not that it should be a problem.
    However, it was not easy to check which image: response to the remote - at least with 3 second delay again now.
    Top is still running, but I don't really know what to look for. Enigma2 and MGcamd - the same.
    I don't see any processes using more cpu or memory now that the response got again so slow.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Do you have ports forwarded in your router to the Ultimo?
    Vu+ Duo2, OpenVix, 3xdvb-c
    Vu+ SoloSE V2, OpenVix, 1xdvb-s2 , 1xdvb-c (Sundtek)
    Vu+ SoloSE V2, OpenVix, 1xdvb-c
    Vu+ SoloSE, OpenVix, 1xdvb-c
    ET6500. OpenVix, 1xdvb-c
    Motor 1m dish

parkher
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterj View Post
    Do you have ports forwarded in your router to the Ultimo?
    Thank you very very much!

Turns out, I had, accidentally: ftp(21),telnet(23),web interface (1880)
    I see that they were assigned to VuDuo2 (I was experimenting months ago with the remote access to it) but the internal address is that of VuUltimo.
    I may have accidentally swapped those addresses after the problems with the internet connection began on Friday.

So the sequence of events is as follows:

1. Problems with the internet connections (no longer sure that actually caused by VuUltimo)
    2. Experiments that led to swapping those internal addresses. I connected cables to different ports, also disabled DHCP and entered addresses manually.
    3. Noticed that the internal hard drive became empty (that is the worst!) - not sure when exactly it happened in the sequence of events.
    4. Noticed that Ultimo always (gradually?) becomes unresponsive.

Now I deleted those ports from the router and it seems that Ultimo became again responsive - without rebooting. I will see if it becomes sluggish again, but hopefully - not.

So the questions I have are:
    1. why Duo2 had no problems previously when those ports were forwarded for it? (possible answer - maybe they were not? Maybe that address was not used for either receiver, besides, I connected Ultimo now directly to the router, previously it was connected to a switch, Duo2 remains connected to the switch)
    2. what happened to the hard drive, why it is empty, is it coincidence or a result?

I will try to connect to Ultimo a different hard drive, as soon as I manage to make one empty. I only have 3TB new drives and I don't think I want to try one of those.
    Last edited by parkher; 03-06-15 at 19:49.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    You have been hacked.
    It is possible there is hostile software on your box.
    That can explain the behavior.
    Best is to do a fresh flash of your boxes, no restores.
    Hades 011 is ok.
    ET6500. OpenVix, 1xdvb-c
    Motor 1m dish

parkher
    You have been hacked.
    It is possible there is hostile software on your box.
    That can explain the behavior.
    Hades 011 is ok.
    It seems that there are no bootloaders for Ultimo - so there is no question, do I need a new bootloader or not. Not so easy with Duo2, though: a bootloader from 2015-02-16. Judging by the date, I need it.
    What about settings? I hope I can at least use settings from a backup

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    When settings are not from a Hades image, you cannot use them.
    Best is to do a complete fresh install.
    ET6500. OpenVix, 1xdvb-c
    Motor 1m dish

parkher
    OK.
    My main problem is tuner configuration. Saving settings with Dreamset probably will not help for that.
    Is there a file somewhere with tuner configuration?
    I guess, I can enter manually all 20 or whatever number of virtual LNBs I am using for actual 2 LNBS to correct USALS coordinates individually for each satellite.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by parkher View Post
    OK.
    My main problem is tuner configuration. Saving settings with Dreamset probably will not help for that.
    Is there a file somewhere with tuner configuration?
    I guess, I can enter manually all 20 or whatever number of virtual LNBs I am using for actual 2 LNBS to correct USALS coordinates individually for each satellite.
    Go to /etc/enigma2 and save the settings file.

reflash the box and set it up so it is running.

Then in telnet use the command init 4 (this will pause Enigma2)
    Go to /etc/enigma2 and edit the settings file, copy the nims info for your tuners (cut and paste the info from your old file to the new file and overwrite the current nims info), then save the new settings file.
    Back into telnet and then type reboot.

When the box fires up again, all your satellite positions should be stored.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ev0 For This Useful Post:

rossi2000 (12-06-15)

parkher
    Hades 011 is ok.
    When I'm finally ready to flash a new image - Hades 012 showed up. Is it ok to use Hades 012?
    Or perhaps there is no difference - I hope simple internet updates of those images are supported: Hades 011 -> 012 -> (013) etc.

On Duo2, I was always updating but no new updates from version 3.0 build 808. Stuck on that. Last available update was on 2013-12-21.
    And I think there was no new image available to download too, for months, until I stopped checking...

parkher
    Flashed Hades 012.
    So far so good, with one exception:
    one lnb was not accepted in the settings file, had to configure it manually.
    This lnb was used for a dummy satellite and I made the changes in the settings file before adding that satellite to satellites.xml.
    So perhaps that was the reason.

I hope that Hades 013 will show up in Ultimo as an available update.

So far, no internal hard drive. I will not use the same one (perhaps something still can be saved from it?)
    I will install a new AV hard drive when I get it on Friday.
    I am using an AV hard drive in Duo2 and it is much better than a regular one: no hanging or reboots while recording.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Nothing wrong with Hades 12 on an Ultimo here.
    Why are you using a 'dummy' satellite?
    Also, are you sure your original issue wasn't caused by a wrongly configured mgcam file, ddos'ing yourself?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Upload your mg_cfg file here. There is nothing personal in it.

parkher
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    Nothing wrong with Hades 12 on an Ultimo here.
    Why are you using a 'dummy' satellite?
    Also, are you sure your original issue wasn't caused by a wrongly configured mgcam file, ddos'ing yourself?
    The dummy satellite: It is probably not needed. It is for 36.0°E - many transponders on it have circular polarization and require a different lnb, which is attached off-center next to the main lnb. However, H/V transponders are mainly for South Africa. Still, there are couple that perhaps could be accessible from Europe, come to think of it - I never even tried them (Armenian, Kazach). Anyway, L/R transponders are strong enough for me.
    So H/V are on the regular 36°E and L/R are on the dummy (I use 34°E) with additional correction for the off-center lnb so that USALS works on that off-center lnb as if it were the main lnb for 36°E.
    I probably should discard those never used (and probably too weak anyway) H/V transponders and just adjust the longitude for USALS to work for the L/R lnb directly at 36 East position. Less hassle.

As to mgcamd, it was working fine for a long time without any changes. Now, with Hades 012, I am also using the same configuration as before and it is working fine.
    So, if mgcamd somehow was ddosing Ultimo it is not a problem when Ulitimo is not accessible via the internet. But perhaps it could explain the increasing sluggishness.
    That probably would rule out the possibility that the hard drive was deliberately reformatted.

My original problem was that the internet connection went down and while experimenting with it I accidentally changed the IP address of Ultimo to one that had forwarded ports in the router (completely forgotten).
    That caused progressive sluggishness in Ultimo. And at some point its internal hard drive became empty. All that happened very quickly, in a matter of hours. Before that, a different IP address was used and no ports were forwarded for it. It is also possible that everything began from a problem with the hard drive. I did record to it, though, after changing that IP address. And I got no error messages. As if everything was fine. Only a bit later, after stopping recording. I noticed that the hard drive became empty. But I don't know when exactly it became empty.

It is pretty hard for me to believe that my Ultimo was hacked and the hard drive reformatted during a couple of hours from the moment it became accessible via the internet.
    Anyway, eventually I will try to see if something can be recovered from that hard drive. So far, I am too afraid: I can still have hope until I try
    Last edited by parkher; 11-06-15 at 10:18.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast