Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: SES launches 4K ‘demo’ channel for UK

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts

SES launches 4K ‘demo’ channel for UK

Satellite operator SES is now broadcasting a 4K/Ultra High Definition channel over the UK and Ireland from 28.2 degrees East. The new channel is simulcasting the UHD demonstration channel that is currently at SES’s primary European orbital position of 19.2 degrees East.

The channel’s 4K clips features a mix of colourful and extremely detailed scenes that demonstrate the clarity of Ultra HD television – urban sports, exotic animals and nature, cityscapes – along with footage of SES headquarters in Betzdorf.

Through its collaboration with industry partners, SES says it is signalling its determination to continue to lead the UHD experience and make it a commercial reality. The Ultra-HD content is broadcast using the DVB UHD-1 Phase 1 specifications and is encoded in the HEVC Main 10 standard.

The 4K signals can be received with a standard satellite dish connected to an Ultra-HD flat screen TV featuring an integrated satellite tuner and HEVC decoder.

Mike Chandler, managing director of ASTRA (GB) Ltd, SES’s subsidiary in the UK said: “We are delighted to have set up this demonstration channel at the prime orbital position for the UK market. We are making use of the capacity to enable UK and Irish retailers, installers and enthusiasts to understand the technology that makes UHD possible, and what it will mean for their viewing experience. We encourage our trade partners to show our Ultra-HD demo channel at their points of sale for demonstration purposes.”

Reception parameters:

Transponder: 2.038

Satellite: ASTRA 2E

Frequency: 12.441 GHz

Polarisation: Vertical

Symbol Rate: 29.5 MS/s

Modulation: DVB-S2 QPSK

FEC: 3/4

Code:
    http://advanced-television.com/2015/02/12/ses-launches-4k-demo-channel-for-uk/

My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

DaMacFunkin (13-02-15),ipodtouchdude (14-02-15)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Bugger me, of to tune my HU8500...

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Looks stunning, can't wait for the next generation of hevc enabled set top boxes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DaMacFunkin For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (13-02-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
    Looks stunning, can't wait for the next generation of hevc enabled set top boxes.
    What did you do to view it mate?
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    .... We encourage our trade partners to show our Ultra-HD demo channel at their points of sale for demonstration purposes.”

Reception parameters:

Transponder: 2.038

Satellite: ASTRA 2E

Frequency: 12.441 GHz

Polarisation: Vertical

Symbol Rate: 29.5 MS/s

Modulation: DVB-S2 QPSK

FEC: 3/4

Hi @phoenix and @DaMacFunkin

I have tried to tune this on my VuPlus Solo2 - fixed dish pointing at 28.2.

I have tried inputting the details posted in manual and blind scan - but nothing found! In manual I can't input the 12.441 frequency? In the blind scan mode I scan from 12.440 -> 12.442 H+V, but no channles found either way?

Can either of you please give me a pointer as to how to tune this please. I am a bit of a newbie to this, Thanks!

Title
    Thanks
    Hi All
    are you connecting direct to 4k tv or though sat receiver? i have scaned frequency and found channel but get only sound but no picture.
    thanks

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Figured it out! Manual Scan and then change Type of scan to "User defined transponder" and then of course fill in the details as posted by @phoenix above

Astra UHD Demo-2822015-1448.jpg

Hope it might help somebody else
    Last edited by sigpark; 28-02-15 at 15:30.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pig View Post
    Hi All
    are you connecting direct to 4k tv or though sat receiver? i have scaned frequency and found channel but get only sound but no picture.
    thanks
    I am also getting audio for now, but as with other channels I expect they will broadcast pictures at certain times. I am using Sat receiver via HDMI to Samsung 4k TV

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pig View Post
    Hi All
    thanks
    same here, music plays but no pic

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by john doe View Post
    same here, music plays but no pic
    Actually, I wonder if it is the compression - I guess the current range of set top boxes don't have hevc?

Should have read the small print in @phoenix post

Through its collaboration with industry partners, SES says it is signalling its determination to continue to lead the UHD experience and make it a commercial reality. The Ultra-HD content is broadcast using the DVB UHD-1 Phase 1 specifications and is encoded in the HEVC Main 10 standard.

The 4K signals can be received with a standard satellite dish connected to an Ultra-HD flat screen TV featuring an integrated satellite tuner and HEVC decoder.
    I have a Samsung HU8500 4K telly like @DaMacFunkin; hopefully I'll figure out how to tune that after the Rugby!
    Last edited by sigpark; 28-02-15 at 16:06.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sigpark View Post
    I have a Samsung HU8500 4K telly like @DaMacFunkin; hopefully I'll figure out how to tune that after the Rugby!
    It's half time and have tuned the Sammy.

Getting stunning pictures. Am afraid it must be that the hevc codec's aren't available on STB's yet - guess it won't be long!! Am pretty sure it will probably will be new hardware though - can't see this being a soft codec, but what do I know?
    Last edited by sigpark; 28-02-15 at 16:32.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    This channel is broadcasting in hevc, you won't be able to view it with any current stand alone satellite reciever, you can however manually tune it directly to a hevc enabled TV set with a satellite tuner such as the samsung HU8500 which is what I currently own.