Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Banana Pi vs. Raspberry Pi

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts

Banana Pi vs. Raspberry Pi

Banana Pi is a fork of Raspberry Pi project using different components while maintain compatibility as much as possible.

1. The main SoC chip is different.
      Raspberry Pi has Broadcom ARM11 core chip while Banana Pi has Allwinner ARM Cortex-A7 dual cores. The ARM architecture is the major differences. Banana Pi has more features enabling by ARM v7 architecture and still be compatible to run applications on ARMv6.
    2. The physical dimension of Banana Pi is wider than Raspberry.
      Be aware ! Current box of Raspberry Pi is not big enough to fit Banana Pi.
    3. Banana Pi has more hardware components.
      For example, Banana Pi has on-board micphone, internal SATA connector, IR receiver, OTG connector, power and reset switch. These components are not available on Raspberry Pi.
    4. The connectors of LCD LVDS interface and Camera interface are different.
      Current Raspberry Pi camera module does NOT work with Banana Pi. In addition, Banana Pi may be able to connect external LVDS display but not Raspberry Pi since it never enable its DSI connector.

In summary, Banana Pi currently has smaller community size, less documentation and it will need to tune OS distribution for Allwinner SoC and its add-on hardware components.

Code:
    http://www.bananapi.org/2014/05/is-banana-pi-clone-of-raspberry-pi.html
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Ureyesonly (04-01-15)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    For more information check out raspberry-vs-banana-hardware-duel

Code:
    http://hardware-libre.fr/2014/06/raspberry-vs-banana-hardware-duel/
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Ureyesonly (04-01-15)

Title
    Thanks
    I am currently looking into getting a portable kodi machine and was considering buying either the rpi2 or the banana pro, as the latter is only 2€ more expensive where i live. I am partly aware of each boards benefits. The most conpelling pro of the banana pro to me is the built in wifi, sata connector and composite video (as i plan on using the build with new screens that have hdmi input as well as really old tvs that only have composite). Unfortunately the support for the pro is awful and im not even sure if there is hardware acceleration support yet.

So now i am here asking for recommendations on which board to buy. If buying the rspi i will have to buy a really small usb wifi adapter, hdmi to composite and sata to usb connector for the hdd i plan on putting my movies on. Btw, i will use the machine mainly for watching 1080p movies on the aforementioned screens.

Has anyone ever had any experience with the banana pro or at least banana pi? What boards should i use?

Title
    Thanks
    its Great thanks for sharing

https://aptoidelite.com

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry-G View Post

Banana Pi is a fork of Raspberry Pi project using different components while maintain compatibility as much as possible.

1. The main SoC chip is different.
      Raspberry Pi has Broadcom ARM11 core chip while Banana Pi has Allwinner ARM Cortex-A7 dual cores. The ARM architecture is the major differences. Banana Pi has more features enabling by ARM v7 architecture and still be compatible to run applications on ARMv6.
    2. The physical dimension of Banana Pi is wider than Raspberry.
      Be aware ! Current box of Raspberry Pi is not big enough to fit Banana Pi.
    3. Banana Pi has more hardware components.
      For example, Banana Pi has on-board micphone, internal SATA connector, IR receiver, OTG connector, power and reset switch. These components are not available on Raspberry Pi.
    4. The connectors of LCD LVDS interface and Camera interface are different.
      Current Raspberry Pi camera module does NOT work with Banana Pi. In addition, Banana Pi may be able to connect external LVDS display but not Raspberry Pi since it never enable its DSI connector.

In summary, Banana Pi currently has smaller community size, less documentation and it will need to tune OS distribution for Allwinner SoC and its add-on hardware components.

Code:
    http://www.bananapi.org/2014/05/is-banana-pi-clone-of-raspberry-pi.html
    Nice explanation however, Both works for the same purpose I suppose. So what should be the critical difference between two of them as I'm very confuse now after your explanation.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    …. maybe find a more recent comparison, not one nearly 4 years old.