Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor upscaling / video resolution

Title
    Thanks

Poor upscaling / video resolution

Firstly, happy new year guys.

Secondly; I've had my TM Nano 2 Super on Apollo 107 for a couple of weeks now. My TV is an LG 50PH670V.

The video resolution on SD channels is noticeably poor; resulting in a "blocky" image sometimes accompanied by very subtle "speckles" around moving images (I mostly notice this around the faces of characters on TV).

When I to stream another laptop (plugged in to the TV via HDMI) it's absolutely fine and significantly better picture quality (although I'm suredifferent resolutions/HDMI sources play a factor).

In my completely uneducated opinion, it's as if the video doesn't decode properly on some SD channels. It could be that my box and picture on my TV are two completely different resolutions.

My Technomate AV settings are as follows:

Video Output: HDMI
    Auto Resolution: Disabled
    Mode: 1080p
    Refresh Rate: Multi
    Display 4:3 content as: Just scale
    Display >16:9 content as: Letterbox
    Dolby Digital/DTS Downmix: Yes
    General AC3 Delay: 0
    General PCM Delay: 0
    Bypass HDMI EDID Check: Off

My LG TV Settings are:
    1080p, 50hz, 16:9

Sample TV Show:
    Video Format: 16:9
    Video mode: 1080p50
    Video size: 544x576i25

What should I do to improve video quality? or is there a way to adjust upscaling settings?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Any E2 receiver will give similar output to a 50" TV, your 50" TV will end up magnifying upscaled SD broadcasts, some TV's display better than others. Same with any receiver you hook up to your 50" TV.

I've got a Panny plasma that SD is loads better than 2 other LCD's with any receiver.

Wouldn't say the receiver is at fault. I've just hooked up my N2S to a LG LCD, then tried with JVC LCD, JVC much better PQ imo.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Rayne (02-01-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Ahhhh ok - makes sense. Cheers Sicilian!

I was getting nervous i had a faulty receiver/tv....also thought i had an incorrect picture setting or it was a transcoding problem

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Your tv settings are fine but for a tv that size you need to sit back quite a bit from it when watching sd. A bigger screen does not equal better picture.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Have you tried enabling auto resolution to allow your TV to scale rather than the E2 box?
    You might get a better SD picture that way.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Are there any benefits of selecting refresh rate of "multi"?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post

Secondly; I've had my TM Nano 2 Super on Apollo 107 for a couple of weeks now. My TV is an LG 50PH670V.

The video resolution on SD channels is noticeably poor; resulting in a "blocky" image sometimes accompanied by very subtle "speckles" around moving images (I mostly notice this around the faces of characters on TV).

When I to stream another laptop (plugged in to the TV via HDMI) it's absolutely fine and significantly better picture quality (although I'm suredifferent resolutions/HDMI sources play a factor).

In my completely uneducated opinion, it's as if the video doesn't decode properly on some SD channels. It could be that my box and picture on my TV are two completely different resolutions.

My LG TV Settings are:

Sample TV Show:

What should I do to improve video quality? or is there a way to adjust upscaling settings?
    Try changing to 1080I instead of 1080P after all there is nothing broadcast in 1080P any way.

Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    No idea, but it's what I use on all my boxes.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pembo View Post
    Have you tried enabling auto resolution to allow your TV to scale rather than the E2 box?
    You might get a better SD picture that way.
    This is a choice between using the upscaler of the STB (AR = disabled) or of the TV (AR = enabled). Just try it and see if there are differences visual. Best use the same video/recording for the test.
    But anyway, as said above: SD on a 50" TV will never be satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Yes, there are. If the video source is in 60 Hz displaying it in 50Hz will not be fine (and vice verca). And as all (modern) TV's support both 50Hz & 60Hz I can't think of any reason not to use the multi-setting.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

thisntaht

My LG TV Settings are:

Sample TV Show:

720p is by far the best, 1080p isn't really available as its 1080i and 720p is far better than 1080i
    All your other settings are fine, Just curious is the software on your LG TV up to date as my Samsung LCD SD Picture improved a little when it got a software update.

Just my opinion of course

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thisntaht View Post
    720p is by far the best, 1080p isn't really available as its 1080i and 720p is far better than 1080i
    I don't agree with you.
    Most transmissions are in 1080i, so outputting it to 720 p means transcoding twice (1080i -->720p by the STB and 720p --> 1080p by the TV). This can never give a better result.
    Better use either 1080i and leave the deinterlacing to the TV or 1080p and leave deinterlacing to the STB. No transoding (on most HD services, and if it's a 720p service only transcoding once that needs to be done anyway)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

nsw9154 (03-01-15)

thisntaht
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    I don't agree with you.
    Most transmissions are in 1080i, so outputting it to 720 p means transcoding twice (1080i -->720p by the STB and 720p --> 1080p by the TV). This can never give a better result.
    Better use either 1080i and leave the deinterlacing to the TV or 1080p and leave deinterlacing to the STB. No transoding (on most HD services, and if it's a 720p service only transcoding once that needs to be done anyway)
    I don't agree with you.

For no other reason than what my eyes tell me

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I always had all my Receivers set to 50hz 1080p but I have just changed my Mut@nt to 1080i multi and I can see an improvement in the picture Quality

Thank's for the tip Rob

I have just changed to these settings on my LX3 & Duo2 and done a full back up as the picture is much better in my opinion
    Last edited by nsw9154; 03-01-15 at 17:12.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    This is a choice between using the upscaler of the STB (AR = disabled) or of the TV (AR = enabled). Just try it and see if there are differences visual. Best use the same video/recording for the test.
    But anyway, as said above: SD on a 50" TV will never be satisfying.
    I tried enabling AR - and results are negligible (but it wasn't a very detailed assessment tbh. Will make a more indepth assessment tomorrow).

Also - and irritatingly - the TV has a long pause and flicker between channel changes, whilst it readjusts to the new resolution

Quote Originally Posted by thisntaht View Post
    Just curious is the software on your LG TV up to date as my Samsung LCD SD Picture improved a little when it got a software update.
    No - old software, but no harm in trying. Will have a crack and report back.

On a separate note, and for my own learning - why is it that the PQ on an E2 STB is not as good as the PQ on a non-E2 STB, for SD broadcasts?
    Last edited by Rayne; 05-01-15 at 19:34.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    L
    On a separate note, and for my own learning - why is it that the PQ on an E2 STB is not as good as the PQ on a non-E2 STB, for SD broadcasts?
    Like which non E2 STB?
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Also - and irritatingly - the TV has a long pause and flicker between channel changes, whilst it readjusts to the new resolution
    Yes, that's the obvious consequence of using AR. Of course it depends on the services you watch most.

why is it that the PQ on an E2 STB is not as good as the PQ on a non-E2 STB, for SD broadcasts?
    I don't think that's the case.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

bobbylondon999 (18-07-15)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast