Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to setup Cable?

Title
    Thanks

How to setup Cable?

Hi All.

Just received my Ultra HD receiver this morning, need some help setting it up for Cable (FTA only).

I've gone through this thread but in vain - it doesn't find any Cable Channels.

What network ID do I need to use?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by abu baniaz; 30-12-14 at 14:51. Reason: rotated picture

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Are you sure you have a dvb-c signal?

You can also test tuners by using an aerial and setting tuner to dvb-t.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Are you sure you have a dvb-c signal?
    is there a way to check on the box?

Used to have a Tivo box connected to this co-ax a year ago before I disconnected the TV service. I simply disconnected the box so expect the signal to still be there.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    You need a working live feed from Virgin and have you setup the tuner side of things correctly because if I remember reading correctly you need to loop cable feed from one tuner to another!

I could be wrong on this (with regards to setting up multiple tuners) so don't take my word for it.
    Last edited by bbbuk; 30-12-14 at 13:42.

Title
    Thanks
    If you don't have any services they sometimes disconnect properties at the cabinet.

It could also be a faulty splitter/connection indoors.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    If you have cancelled your service how are you expecting to run the service on your receiver now?
    Vix image (usually latest) - VU Solo 4K- WD 1TB INTERNAL HDD - DVB-T Freeview, trialling IPTV options

If my response has helped you, don't forget to hit the thanks button below. I appreciate you appreciate me

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yes I have read that they do sometimes disconnect properties if they need the space at the cabinet for another virgin customer, it is rare but can happen.

If you have Virgin broadband then you still have a live feed otherwise could you maybe borrow someone's actual virgin supplied TV or broadband box and see if that works?

A virgin supplied TV box is better because if that works then you can also use that box to obtain the netid.
    Last edited by bbbuk; 30-12-14 at 13:43.

Title
    Thanks

How to setup Cable?

Yes, I have Virgin BB and phone service, simply disconnected the tv service.

How can I check for signal using the box?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Then you have a live cable because Virgin use the same cable for both TV and broadband and cable is just split at the house.

Is the cable feed going to the miraclebox the same feed that was used for your TV service and you haven't changed anything or messed around with anything like a splitter?

Oh, and so so you know. Cable FTA channels are very few and I think are just 1-5. Not like $ky FTA channels where you get ITV2/3/4, E4, etc as FTA also.
    Last edited by bbbuk; 30-12-14 at 13:49.

Title
    Thanks
    What adapter are you using at the ene of your coax prior to connecting to tuner?
    If you plug in your router to same cable as you are connecting the receiver and router still works, you have signal there.
    It is possible the tuner is faulty. Have you tested an aerial as suggested earlier to rule this out?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

kidaz (23-01-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbbuk View Post
    Is the cable feed going to the miraclebox the same feed that was used for your TV service and you haven't changed anything or messed around with anything like a splitter?
    Yes

What adapter are you using at the ene of your coax prior to connecting to tuner?
    I have a twin-ended F-connector cable - one end connected to the Virgin Socket - and the other with an adaptor to fit into the "IN" on the Receiver Tuner.

If you plug in your router to same cable as you are connecting the receiver and router still works, you have signal there.

It is possible the tuner is faulty. Have you tested an aerial as suggested earlier to rule this out?
    Was trying to avoid that - is there no way to check for signal on the receiver itself? - else the checks you mention are my next steps.

Can you confirm that Network ID is not relevant in the settings? mine is set to ZERO by default.

Title
    Thanks
    00000 will find all channels in stream. Eventually you will need to find out your NETID to exclude channels not for you area (does not matter if you are in a pure area).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

imish (30-12-14)

Title
    Thanks

Error message when trying to tune Cable

Error message when trying to tune Cable

tuner.jpg

Doing a full service scan now.

Title
    Thanks
    That screenshot is running ABM, it is not a conventional scan/tuning cable. ABM must be provided with your NetID (unless in a pure area, although this still needs parameters set).

What scan settings are you using, the earlier screenshot was that of your tuner config.

Title
    Thanks
    OK - I have verified the receiver tuner functional when scanning DVB through the Aerial. Its the Virgin connection that is faulty - will connect the Virgin router to it to see if it works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast