Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Replacement fan

Title
    Thanks

Replacement fan

Hi guys
    I'm looking for a replacement fan for my Nano oe because it sounds like a helicopter taking off when I fire the box up,anyone got any idea the best place to get one?
    Many thanks Billy

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by billy2222 View Post
    Hi guys
    I'm looking for a replacement fan for my Nano oe because it sounds like a helicopter taking off when I fire the box up,anyone got any idea the best place to get one?
    Many thanks Billy
    loads of places..first try Sponsers, or maplin online or instore,fleabays etc but measure your existing fan i think its 40mmx5mm off the top of my head but check.
    I have solved whirring fans problems on my boxes many times with a clean and a spray of wd40 or simply a tighten of the mounting screws

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mann For This Useful Post:

billy2222 (02-12-14),nano18 (15-12-14)

Title
    Thanks
    Do you know if the fan only works when the box is on and not in stand-by?

My Nano OE makes a humming/buzzing noise when it's on, but in standby (even when recording) it's virtually silent.

I think the fan is the issue but just wondered...

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    WD40 is not a lubricant - excellent for dispersing moisture or freeing up rusted items though. Use light machine oil or 3-in-1 oil (just a drop off a needle).
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    WD40 is not a lubricant
    +1. It's so light that it will evaporate off soon after it has been put on.

Use light machine oil or 3-in-1 oil (just a drop off a needle).
    When I've lubricated fans I use a heavier oil - car engine oil. The important point is that you don't need a lot. I put a drop on a plastic bag and then dip in something fine such as a watchmakers screwdriver to pick up a small amount. On computer type fans the label usually has to be removed to get at the bearing.

If the fan is to be replaced check the label for the working voltage/speed. Fans come in 5 volt and 12 volt versions and in a range of speeds and associated noise performance. Often the slower the speed the quieter the fan will be, albeit the fan blade design can have some effect on the noise performance. Also check the existing fan to see how many wires it has (2, 3 or 4)

This link
    Code:
    http://www.quietpc.com/casefans
    shows the typical range of standard case fans. Probably the same fans are much cheaper from Ebay etc.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Nano oe can run without fan no problem if no hard drive installed.