Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Having to repeatedly stop a recording

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    If you think that then you really have not read the description of the problem.
    It applies to any Timer set by any AutoTimer.
    In that case, it's impossilble for me at least try to help. I use a bunch of auto-timers & none have this issue.
    If you would even name a show with this issue?
    Then maybe the sat it's on, the EPG source you're using & maybe screnshots of your AutoTimer, it might save lots of others lots of time in trying to help you.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    All I can guess as you're providing so little info is that AutoTimers are working as expected.
    You set up an AutoTimer, you're not using it as efficiently as you want.
    You stop a timer/recording set by the AutoTimer, the AutoTimer polling kicks in, so correctly adds the missing timer/recording again as it sees it's not working as expected.

If you set the autotimer correctly, I can't see any issues, but then again, I can only guess with so little info provided.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    All I can guess as you're providing so little info is that AutoTimers are working as expected.
    The issue is not with how one has set-up Auto Timers, but that one cannot just Abort such a recording once it has started for whatever reason one may wish to do so.
    You set up an AutoTimer, you're not using it as efficiently as you want.
    Which might be that I can't, that I thought I did, but I didn't. Or that (as happened to me) the box failed to boot at the relevant time, and when I started it up it did it start a recording in mid-programme.

So forget about how the Auto Timer was set-up and only concentrate on how the Auto Timer adds timers.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    So forget about how the Auto Timer was set-up and only concentrate on how the Auto Timer adds timers.
    AutoTimers work better on any E2 box using a ViX image, than they do on any other E2 image, IMO.
    If you want Topfield SD box functions, use a Topfield SD box. If you want to use an E2 box, learn the new features available to you & don't expext the same limited functions available to you on a Topfield SD box.

Still no idea of the show or sat you have the issus on though... & tierd of asking now, so makes it impossible on how to recommend how you set-up an Auto-Timer.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    In that case, it's impossilble for me at least try to help. I use a bunch of auto-timers & none have this issue.
    You really do seem to have missed the point. The question was never about actually setting up auto-timers. It was about stopping something unwanted - irrespective of the reason why it was being recorded in the first place.

If you would even name a show with this issue?
    If you want I can supply a list of couple of thousand programs on both (UK) satellite and terrestrial TV which will be broadcast in the next 7 days where the 'feature' can be demonstrated with ease. The question was about stopping a recording that was originally set by an auto-timer not about setting auto-timers.

The auto-timers are working exactly in the way you, and probably the developers, are expecting BUT a discussion about setting up auto-timers is a complete red-herring in this context and not the original question asked.

I'm now fully aware that the search criteria for Miraclebox/VIX auto-timers is not as intelligent as I'm used to on other boxes. I also know how to set more restrictive search criteria to avoid repeats, I don't need any help on this. After 31 posts I still don't know of a way of SIMPLY stopping something I don't want to record if it was originally set by a still active auto-timer.

Some contributers to this thread seem to be amazed that someone may want to stop (any) recording for reasons of their own[1]. I could ask the question 'why would anyone want a (automatic) recording to start anywhere but near the start of the program rather the automatic timer kicking is for a second, third or fourth try at an arbitrary time during the program?'[2]

The simple answer to my question appears to be it cannot be done. I can live with this and modify my use of the box . I'm not asking for the developers to change anything (although it would be nice to have this feature).

[1] I often stop recordings before the recording end time to free up tuners to watch in real time the start of something else. The ongoing timer(s) will record programs I may want to watch but sometimes the necessary padding extends the recording beyond the program actual end time thus hogging the tuner.
    Sometimes sacrificing a current recording to watch something more important is acceptable.
    Sometimes canceling the first transmission is acceptable knowing that it will be repeated and the auto-timer not having a copy will set a timer for the repeat.

[2] I'm aware how complex the rules about matching programs may have to be. A request for an additional simple feature may not be easy to implement - it may have knock on effects for something that has already taken a lot of effort to make it work reliably.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    If you want I can supply a list of couple of thousand programs on both (UK) satellite and terrestrial TV which will be broadcast in the next 7 days where the 'feature' can be demonstrated with ease. The question was about stopping a recording that was originally set by an auto-timer not about setting auto-timers.
    Nope, just one with the requested show on the requested Sat should do,
    The auto-timers are working exactly in the way you, and probably the developers, are expecting BUT a discussion about setting up auto-timers is a complete red-herring in this context and not the original question asked.
    Have you tried the many auto-timer options? Sorry, but still don't get the issue as you refuse to provide settings of such a badly saved auto-timer.
    If you upload your /etc/enigma2/autotimer.xml maybe others can help.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    AutoTimers work better on any E2 box using a ViX image, than they do on any other E2 image, IMO.
    If you want Topfield SD box functions, use a Topfield SD box. If you want to use an E2 box, learn the new features available to you & don't expext the same limited functions available to you on a Topfield SD box.
    Without getting into a discussion about which is the better box (which is probably my Miraclebox) - some background

The Topfield boxes most people own in the UK are SD Terrestrail TV machines designed a decade+ ago. Topfield abandoned the UK around 5 years ago after releasing some truly buggy software for their boxes. The box would now be in landfill if it wasn't for the efforts of perhaps less than a dozen users. The Topfield has the ability to run 3rd party software and some of the core has been back engineered. Out-of-the-box the machine could be considered as very mediocre but with user supplied bug fixes, software performance enhancement patches and a replacement GUI it is a very good machine - IMO close to top in its class. Due to the age of the machine, which doesn't support HD, many people are looking for replacements. They are looking for something with the same functionally, or better, than on these very aged boxes. To put things in context - it has taken 5 years for the software to become so good with improvements in each issue. (BTW, around 1 issue every year rather than the 40 in a few months with the VIX image).

The Topfield also has poor reliability with regards power supply capacitors (easily and cheaply replaced) but from reading these forums some of the E2 boxes have the same problems.

The E2 type boxes fit the requirement for the more technically minded of the Topfield regular forum members and a few, such as myself, now own both boxes. These boxes would probably scare off those who want to buy something and it just works after pressing a few buttons after switching it on.

The Topfield has its faults and annoyances but so does my Miraclebox - six of one and half a dozen of the other. My Topfield will live under my TV for another year or so and I will gradually use the Miraclebox more and more

With respect to auto-timers the Miraclebox/VIX has some powerful features and more like I was used to 6 years ago but for ease of use and reliability the Mystuff/Topfield timers win by more than a small margin. Unless I'm mistaken, the VIX timers don't incorporate the broadcast Freeview/Freesat series linking and CRID?? information in their search criteria. Just because some of us have seen something better implemented please don't regard it as criticism about the boxes being discussed in these forums. I can live with limitations as long as I know what they are and know that I'm not wasting my time looking through hundreds of menu options for features that are not supported.

When I started this thread I didn't expect a discussion about Auto-timers. All I wanted to know if the record had a stop function that actually worked. Simple answer = no.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Simple answer = no.
    Well, the current answer == no.
    Given that the timer knows it was set by an AutoTimer (little green icon in top left when displayed), and that when it stops the recording it currently changes the timer state to "Done", all it needs to do(?) in such a case is to change the state (which is the edit of /etc/enigma/timers.xml it has to do anyway) to be "Disabled" instead.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Given that the timer knows it was set by an AutoTimer
    isAutoTimer="1" in a timer definiton.
    in such a case is to change the state ... to be "Disabled" instead.
    disabled="1".

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    @adm,
    The software is open source and improvements are always made. Can you provide links to the other EPG software so that they can be added. This will benefit the whole E2 user community. It may even be better for you to adapt and submit merge requests.

To me a timer is a timer whether it's autotimer or single timer and should be able to be interrupted.

To move forward with this issue, can you kindly upload your timer file.

Can I ask that only adm/staff reply to this thread unless they are providing a fix.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Can I ask that only adm/staff reply to this thread unless they are providing a fix.
    There isn't any fix to be provided though. The op is comparing a non E2 box to an E2 box & being as vague as possible & not providing any details asked for.

An auto timer that isn't recording should poll & start recording IMO. Other than that, auto timers should be set up correctly to avoid duplicates.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

ronand (07-11-14)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    @birdman First let me say that I am not dismissing your reports but enigma2 is a amateur project and not the same thing as those commercial pvr's you are used to using, for one we dont have any where near their budgets or the ability to hire in coders as needed.

That said I really do appreciate and welcome your strive to make things better (this is afterall the founding principal of the ViX image) and hopefully you will help further improve enigma2,. sadly I cant help there as I am not a coder but I wish you all the best and you never know your coding abilities may land you a spot working with one of the enigma2 teams for the betterment of the hobby as a whole.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts

When I started this thread I didn't expect a discussion about Auto-timers. All I wanted to know if the record had a stop function that actually worked. Simple answer = no.
    It is possible to stop any recording at any time, whilst recording call up your media file list, select the file that you want to stop (will have a red icon next to anything currently recording) then press the Red button, you will now be given a choice to Stop recording, Stop and delete, Stop after current event. (might be more or less options as doing this from memory at the moment)
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information here on my posts are hypothetical in nature, out of curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Use of the collective descriptions and knowledge from any of my posts are at YOUR discretion
    I am not responsible for what you do with it

Want to know about cardsharing see Here

Want clone support see Here

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

If you have had a problem that you started a thread about and found your own solution please post back to let everyone know how you solved it

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    When a recording has started and if for some reason I want to abort it I just go into the media/recordings and press red button and it will ask if you wish to abort recording and delete or abort recording and keep? So effectively is does let you abort a recording, does it not?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    It is possible to stop any recording at any time, whilst recording call up your media file list, select the file that you want to stop (will have a red icon next to anything currently recording) then press the Red button, you will now be given a choice to Stop recording, Stop and delete, Stop after current event. (might be more or less options as doing this from memory at the moment)
    Snap. You posted just before me. lol

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast