Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Having to repeatedly stop a recording

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    It's easy to reproduce.
    The problem is that if you have a timer set from an auto-timer and it is currently recording then if you Delete it (which is all you can do, as the Disable option is disabled once timer actually starts) the Auto Timer mechanism will soon after re-add the timer and restart the recording.
    You probably have to have Automatic Polling set for your Auto Timers, but beyond that this is independent of what show the Auto timer is for.
    Yes - it's happened to me as well. I discovered that the box wouldn't wake up if you run "shutdown" from the command line when I noticed it still asleep when I thought it should be recording Doctor Who. So I started the box. The recording started. Since the programme was already half-way through I Deleted the timer. A minute later the timer was re-instated and the recording restarted. In the end I think I just let it run and then deleted it (and recorded the full programme off BBC Three the next day).
    That reply is going to be as hard to reproduce, so hard to narrow down any fix, or use correct E2 settings.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    iii) Disable a few options in the first screen (disable timespan, disable 'only on Tuesday')
    That is the reason you are getting the repeats in the first place- you really need to set the correct timespan. Also its less work for the receiver to do when updating the autotimers - you did complain of a spinning vix.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Finally we get the reason - "disable timespan"! As ronand says, that's the source of your issue. It'll search for every occurrence of the programme title/details you've set. When I set the autotimer for the aforementioned "Neighbours" I only untick the day and leave the timespan set so that it does not pick up the repeats. You can further edit the services or the days in the autotimer settings. For F1 I have it set to only record Fri/Sat/Sun on BBC1 or BBC2. I do pick up repeats of some practices but just delete them afterwards. No other autotimers pick up repeats due to proper timespan settings.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    Finally we get the reason - "disable timespan"! As ronand says, that's the source of your issue.
    I’m aware that I’ll have to go back to the PVR dark ages and configure the auto-timers to be more restrictive in order to avoid unnecessary repeats.

The main problem wasn’t repeats but the inability to stop a current recording that had previously been set by a still active auto-timer, and without it restarting again a few minutes later. As far as I can tell, and confirmed elsewhere in this thread, there isn’t a clean way of doing this with the Miraclebox/VIX image. Now I know this basic functionality isn’t available I can live with it.

As for repeating this ‘problem’ :

Go into the EPG and pick a program at random.

Set up an auto-timer (not a one off timer) using any tight restrictive search criteria of your choice.

Wait for the program to start recording.

Now try stopping the recording – remembering that you still want the auto-timer to catch next week’s episode.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    That reply is going to be as hard to reproduce, so hard to narrow down any fix, or use correct E2 settings.
    Why would it be hard to reproduce? It applies to any timer set-up via an auto-timer!!

The issue is that before the timer kicks in it can be disabled (yellow button). But once it has started to record then you can no longer disable it. You can delete it (which will stop the recording), but you can't then disable it as it doesn't exists until the auto-timer re-adds it, and as soon as that is done it starts recording and you are back to square one.

What is required is for a running timer to be abort-able, meaning that not only does it get stopped, but that it also gets marked as disabled, so that auto-timer won't try to recreate it.

This is a separate issue to how the auto-timer is/should be set-up. That leads to, but is separate to this problem.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Why would you want to stop the recording? You set up the auto timer to record in the first place. I think you are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill as no-one told you to disable the autotimer. Before the recording starts you can disable the duplicate recordings individually without touching the autotimer. Set up your recordings properly - the box will only do as its told - you just dont seem to grasp the way it functions. I don't see anyone else complaining of duplicate recordings. You don't seem to want to solve the problem of the duplicate recordings - you just want to make a meal out of not being able to delete a recording in progress. Even a simple request for what program was it has been ignored.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    Why would you want to stop the recording?
    It's not an unreasonable expectation as other PVRs have this functionality. I asked in case I had missed something obvious.

you just want to make a meal out of not being able to delete a recording in progress.
    All I asked in the original question was "How do I stop the current recording for good so it will not start again?" Simple question and it's taken a lot of discussion to confirm that its not possible. It's a limitation of the box/software - fair enough.

Even a simple request for what program was it has been ignored.
    Er, no, but the inability to stop a auto-timer recording has absolutely NOTHING to do with the box recording repeats.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Ill leave it at that so as I cant modify the autotimer code to stop it polling again after deleting a timer. Maybe the devs will look into for you.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Why would it be hard to reproduce? It applies to any timer set-up via an auto-timer!!
    Well, you've explained the issue a lot better since, so probably a bit easier to reproduce.
    Still no idea what show on what sat you're having this issue on though?

An auto-timer set up correctly will record the correct show, an auto-timer set up with less logic will still kick in when less logic is used.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

ronand (05-11-14)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    Why would you want to stop the recording? You set up the auto timer to record in the first place.
    No. I set the AutoTimer. That AutoTimer then sets the Timer.
    There is a subtle difference.
    And since it's possible to abort a one-off timer it would be nice to be able to abort a timer that has been set-up by an AutoTimer.

Both the OP and I come at this from using a PVR where if you set-up a search to set a timer, then stopped such a recording whilst it was in progress, it would not get re-started.

Before the recording starts you can disable the duplicate recordings individually without touching the autotimer.
    Which is missing the point entirely. We know that. But we were wondering what to do when you do not notice that you don't want to record this until the recording is under way.

you just dont seem to grasp the way it functions
    Yes, I do. I'd wager rather that you haven't fully appreciated what the query was about.

Even a simple request for what program was it has been ignored
    Because, as I've pointed out, this is completely irrelevant.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Because, as I've pointed out, this is completely irrelevant.
    Nope. As you refuse to point out the recording, it's Impossible to reproduce, so nothing to fix.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    Nope. As you refuse to point out the recording, it's Impossible to reproduce, so nothing to fix.
    If you think that then you really have not read the description of the problem.
    It applies to any Timer set by any AutoTimer.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Has anyone tried pressing "Record" then "Stop timer recording"?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Yes. That's a one-off Timer. That is OK, as there is nothing that will re-instate the timer (this was mentioned in #25).
    Last edited by birdman; 06-11-14 at 19:17.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Yes - see post #6
    It does nothing to the ongoing recording.

The options in a few screens that are active for a one off timer are disabled for an auto-started timer.
    Last edited by adm; 06-11-14 at 22:01.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (06-11-14)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast