Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Having to repeatedly stop a recording

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Larry-G (07-11-14),rossi2000 (07-11-14)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Oh yes. Time for my Python 101 course.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    I'm afraid not (I've just tested this).
    This behaves just the same way as Deleting the timer from the Timer menu (but does let you delete the so-far-recorded file).
    It may have stopped the problem about starting a recording again a few minutes later . I have to wait until the middle of the week to do some more playing around with the box.

Speculation:
    When stopping the recording before it was by deleting it and hence changing a timer configuration. When leaving a timer screen the software immediately looks to see if new timers are to be set because something has changed.
    When stopping the recording by way of the media screen I'm actually stopping a partially recorded program and not deleting the timer. Hence, I'm not changing the timer configuration, the software now doesn't check immediately and waits for the next polling interval. I guess if the stopping of the recording co-insides with my 2 hour polling interval I will see the same problem but it is less likely.

That's not how AutoTimers work (from what I can see). They never look at existing recordings, only the contents of autotimer.xml and timers.xml in /etc/enigma2.
    The auto-timer code cannot be that bad There is enough information stored with a recorded program for the software to easily check to see if it already has a copy (the short .eit files seem to contain the type of required information to check for title and episode detail). Otherwise, as soon as you 'cleanup' the timer menu the history of recorded programs is possibly lost and the box would find the hundreds of repeats to record again. A quick test may be to record as many programs as possible in a day, then cleanup the finished timer list and see how many repeats are then marked for recording.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    When stopping the recording by way of the media screen I'm actually stopping a partially recorded program and not deleting the timer. Hence, I'm not changing the timer configuration, the software now doesn't check immediately and waits for the next polling interval.
    And if the next polling interval arrives it will re-start the recording. I did check this (with a 3min polling interval).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    And if the next polling interval arrives it will re-start the recording. I did check this (with a 3min polling interval).
    The poll will kick in again on set time, a box or E2 restart, opening of any of the timer screens IIRC.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    The poll will kick in again on set time, a box or E2 restart, opening of any of the timer screens IIRC.
    But probably not when a recording is suspended by way of the media button.

My initial problem was I needed to free up a tuner which I did by deleting the recording in a dedicated timer screen, as that was the only method I found for stopping the recording. I could then watch what I wanted BUT a few minutes later the timer wanted to record again and pinched the tuner back - and repeatedly did it.

It still will be a problem as the polling tick (set to hours) pinches the tuner but hopefully only after the program I want to watch live has finished and/or another tuner is available. I will have an occasional bout of swearing at the box rather than having to do it every time.
    Last edited by adm; 09-11-14 at 00:41.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Or tell you a conflicting timer has kicked in & doesn't suit. Message will pop up on all auto timer polls.
    Without knowing what auto-timers you & @birdman are setting, it's impossibble to test & impossible to offer better than vague solutions.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345