Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: NTFS usb HDD external

Title
    Thanks

NTFS usb HDD external

During the week end I tested the openvix image on my decoder, and as one year before there is a problem with the external NTFS usb disk.
    As you know the SE version doesn't have internal interface for the disk so you have to connect an external disk. I use a normal 500Gb HD with usb 2.0.
    The filesystem is not recognized 'out of the box' you have to install kernel module and utilities , but when your disk is recognized, you will have trouble at boot ...
    so you detach your disk from usb plug during boot and then you have to connect again when the system will be up, in the 90% of the cases the system freeze and you have the VIX logo that will turn forever.

What i mean is , in my opinion is quite normal to have an usb hdd connected to the decoder and quite normal that the fs is ntfs ( compatible with 99% of the pc on this galaxy)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Why is it normal? NTFS is a proprietary Microsoft format (not opensource). Its a linux receiver and of course will work best if the hard drive is formatted in a linux system (ext3/4)
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Yes you are right man , but I', talking about reality, I think that the 90% of the usb hdd disk in the world are MS formatted and to be 'open' to the other means to be ready to share other people format.
    What I mean is , that sounds strange that a so simply feature in the "open enigma2 image world " is missed.

Anyway, mine alert is for the developers, How many people will not use openvix because their USB hdd can't be filled of tv shows recorded with the enigma2 decoder ?

At the end you have only to include fuse module in the kernel....

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gigirock View Post
    Yes you are right man , but I', talking about reality, I think that the 90% of the usb hdd disk in the world are MS formatted and to be 'open' to the other means to be ready to share other people format.
    What I mean is , that sounds strange that a so simply feature in the "open enigma2 image world " is missed.

Anyway, mine alert is for the developers, How many people will not use openvix because their USB hdd can't be filled of tv shows recorded with the enigma2 decoder ?

I'm one of those people who is not using OpenVIX because, you have to install some plugins to have your external NTFS HDD be recognized. In other images, just plug and play your HDD.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gigirock View Post
    and to be 'open' to the other means to be ready to share other people format.
    No it doesn't! It means you are happy to share your own with others - the problems arise when others refuse to share with you, hence the VFAT patent case for MS vs. TomTom

There is also a free ext3/4 driver for MS Windows.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD