Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Functional browser plugin

Title
    Thanks

Functional browser plugin

Hi all

I have very recently bought a Vu+ Duo2 box as a result of falling out with Sky for their rather dubious commercial practices! I am generally very happy with the box but one thing that seems to be a huge hole in its functionality is the ability of the box to browse the internet and play multimedia straight from a browser stream. Given the box is designed to play multimedia and all the components for this must exist in the box (there is already a very downscaled opera browser) then all that seems to be missing is the plugin for say chrome that can actually provide the necessary functionality for the content. I would argue that streaming TV is likely to be the future (albeit a little while away yet until all the moons align) but it would be great to have the functionality. Another option might be to adapt the MAG250 box software to use ...?

Just throwing some suggestions out ...

Thanks
    (and after all that I'll qualify by saying that I have no real development skills but I am sure someone reading this does and wants a challenge!)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudomax View Post
    ....Given the box is designed to play multimedia....
    That is absolutely incorrect: the box has been designed as a receiver.
    All multimedia functionality is a bonus.

Please don't forget that all video decoding is done in hardware (hence the almost zero CPU load during playback), so playback functionality depends on the codecs used in your media files.
    In general converting any media to MKV using the H264 codec is your best option. Then playback will equal TS-playback.

Further more it is advisable to install the plugin (audio-apple-lossless-alac) available on our feeds.

For full multimedia playback you need a multimedia player.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply ... and I guess that does explain a lot for me ...

That said ... is there any sort of commercial server (or other option) etc that might sit between the content & myself (the viewer) to do all the more CPU intensive tasks? I guess I can get another box but was hoping that this one box would fit the bill!

Also, out of interest, why is installing the audio-apple-lossless-alac important?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Really: the very best option is to convert all contents. Using a program like 'Handbrake' does that good and fast.

The plugin is there for the support of sound that is quite commonly used in internet streams.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

Pseudomax (24-10-14)