Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Donations - Where the money is going.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojustaboo View Post
    Yep I understand that, however many people looking at the front page, wont, and will think there's no need to donate.
    Most ppl know how the donation system works plus this thread was started for this exact reason. For the minority that do wonder
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Now the new month has started the Donation bar has set itself back to zero.

The surplas was spent on a Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-T Stick for team testing.

Just so everyone knows my initial outlay when I first started the forum has never been included, I had costs from various failed hosting companies and the genuine vbulletin licence.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

bassethound (01-12-10),Larry-G (01-12-10),silverfox0786 (03-12-10),wullboy (03-12-10)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    well in lads. Loads of hard work goes into running forums like this. I help out in running another forum and I know it's not easy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rob76 For This Useful Post:

pooface (03-12-10)

Title
    Administrator
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,096 Times in 4,733 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Now the new month has started the Donation bar has set itself back to zero.

The surplas was spent on a Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-T Stick for team testing.

Just so everyone knows my initial outlay when I first started the forum has never been included, I had costs from various failed hosting companies and the genuine vbulletin licence.
    not to mention all the hours you put in setting the server up , and we all need to remember that if sic does not meet the £85 target for each month he pays for it out of his own pocket!!!. so as it has been said before, if we/you feel that the forums are helpful and useful to you, then a small donation is welcome, all donations of any size are put to good use.
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Release notes can be found in the About screen by pressing epg/info
    Rules can be found HERE - Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite HERE

7. The Following User Says Thank You to andyblac For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (05-12-10)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andyblac View Post
    forums are helpful and useful to you, then a small donation is welcome, all donations of any size are put to good use.
    The fantasic images you make are well worthy of a donation alone!!!!! not to mention the great support and info you can get here
    VU+ DUO² (Triple S2 tuners) VIX, 750gb
    TM-Nano 2 Super, 320gb
    GigaBlue HD 800 UE Plus VIX
    TM-Single VIX IT'S ALIVE
    Octagon SF8 VIX (751MHz bootloader)
    MARA M9
    Harmony 700
    DGS108 GBLAN, DIY NAS (8TB) XPEnology
    1.1m dish, 0.1db Quad LNB, GTSAT DM14MG motor
    80cm dish, 2x 0.1db LNB + 1x Quad 0.2db LNB, Disqec 4/1.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marty For This Useful Post:

bassethound (06-12-10),pooface (05-12-10),Sicilian (05-12-10)

Title
    Thanks
    A good idea is to have a VIP forum, in this forum members get access to releases, patches and fixes sooner, say about 2 weeks or something, set up a £1 a month donation direct debit from paypal, most people wouldnt think twice about 1 quid a month but feel to rude to donate just 1 quid as it feels to smaller number.

However 300 regular members each donating 1 quid.... yes please.
    vu duo 2, vu duo, vu uno. 3 sky zone 2 dishes, 19e 23.5e and 28.2e. Triax td110cm dish on a tripod used for messing around. Satlink meter and rover stc eu.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to steve1978 For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (23-12-10)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1978 View Post
    A good idea is to have a VIP forum, in this forum members get access to releases, patches and fixes sooner, say about 2 weeks or something, set up a £1 a month donation direct debit from paypal, most people wouldnt think twice about 1 quid a month but feel to rude to donate just 1 quid as it feels to smaller number.

However 300 regular members each donating 1 quid.... yes please.
    The image is free and its already been proven that giving release early cant be trusted as a user already posted vix 1.2 early once when given to test

Prioryman
    I know the image is free, however what about a link page before downloading asking for a donation no matter how small.

I'm a great believer that if you don't ask you don't get........

Anyone reading this - play the game if the site is working and the software is being worked on (updated) why not help, after all you bought the VU+ so money cannot be a problem.... only kidding, but seriously if Sic shuts the site down we are all buggered.............

Enough said

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Prioryman For This Useful Post:

Diablo13 (24-12-10)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prioryman View Post
    I know the image is free, however what about a link page before downloading asking for a donation no matter how small.

I'm a great believer that if you don't ask you don't get........

Anyone reading this - play the game if the site is working and the software is being worked on (updated) why not help, after all you bought the VU+ so money cannot be a problem.... only kidding, but seriously if Sic shuts the site down we are all buggered.............

Enough said
    Sic wont shut the forum down there are many dedicated regular donaters [not mentioning names but basset is loaded lol] in respect to the image its a free image period. it started as a hobby for andy and was opened to the community to have too and andy and sic are happy as it is plus being an opensourse language any body in the enigma1/2 image building game will know that charging for it no matter how small can result in criminal reprocation

But still as said its andy's hobby for him and he deicided to share it with you so the fact that andy is happy with it pays for itself us having it and apreciating its worth it all extra bonus for andy

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silverfox0786 For This Useful Post:

bassethound (20-12-10),Diablo13 (24-12-10),Sicilian (21-12-10)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    from my point of view the donation system works well and i see no need to change it.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

bassethound (20-12-10),Diablo13 (24-12-10),pooface (20-12-10),Sicilian (21-12-10),silverfox0786 (20-12-10)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I've been reading through this post and I just wanted to say I donated because I like the VIX image, it was possible to donate and because I wanted to. I also donate for freeware because I feel that it is a token of my appreciation for what's been offered. And this doesn't prevent me from donating multiple times if the product improves over time.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WOIIFTM For This Useful Post:

Diablo13 (24-12-10),Sicilian (21-12-10)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WOIIFTM View Post
    I've been reading through this post and I just wanted to say I donated because I like the VIX image, it was possible to donate and because I wanted to. I also donate for freeware because I feel that it is a token of my appreciation for what's been offered. And this doesn't prevent me from donating multiple times if the product improves over time.
    exactly my point in my earlier reply page 1. i my self like you regularly donate to sites / software i find useful as a thank you and i will be donating here as soon as this years winter shooting season is over.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (21-12-10)

Title
    Thanks
    Its an age old question and i dont think it has ever been answered, forums have been around for years and costs are high. how to get people to donate is an issue. I have not donated purly bacause if i did i would want to put about 10 quid in the pot at least. the missis is dropping in 3 weeks with our first and i cant afford to by anything! (i could pop a pound in though...

I have seen one thing that i like. It was a Buy me a beer tab. basically when an image is released you have a buy me a beer button, if people click it it takes them to paypal and the amount is predetermined by you, say 2 quid. All the mods have it in there signature, Buy me a beer.... if you help someone out they buy you a beer, it really goes to forum costs but hey ho.
    vu duo 2, vu duo, vu uno. 3 sky zone 2 dishes, 19e 23.5e and 28.2e. Triax td110cm dish on a tripod used for messing around. Satlink meter and rover stc eu.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve1978 For This Useful Post:

Diablo13 (24-12-10),Mr. Mister (23-12-10)

Prioryman
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1978 View Post
    Its an age old question and i dont think it has ever been answered, forums have been around for years and costs are high. how to get people to donate is an issue. I have not donated purly bacause if i did i would want to put about 10 quid in the pot at least. the missis is dropping in 3 weeks with our first and i cant afford to by anything! (i could pop a pound in though...

I have seen one thing that i like. It was a Buy me a beer tab. basically when an image is released you have a buy me a beer button, if people click it it takes them to paypal and the amount is predetermined by you, say 2 quid. All the mods have it in there signature, Buy me a beer.... if you help someone out they buy you a beer, it really goes to forum costs but hey ho.
    Now thats a good idea, wonder what the others think.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Prioryman For This Useful Post:

Diablo13 (24-12-10)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prioryman View Post
    Now thats a good idea, wonder what the others think.
    tbh with u i dont like it i personally give my help for free and dont require any retun yes buy me a bear tab is something that the other does out of kndness but having the button there is almost like advertising u expect a bear for you help so no i am against it personally

if a thank you is to be given then it should be given without expectations and because the other purely wanted too

the danation bar is on the home page and any one that donates there is good enough. every time a see an new donation i think to my self that i made a difference and thats a thanks enough

28. The Following User Says Thank You to silverfox0786 For This Useful Post:

Diablo13 (24-12-10)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast