Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Donations - Where the money is going.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts

Thumbs up Donations - Where the money is going.

First I'd like to thank all members who have donated to the forum.

The members that have donated are most likely wondering why the donation bar has changed, we've changed the target because we reached out initial target and also our hosting/server requirements have changed now the forum has grown.

Since we set our initial target things have changed. The forum has grown faster than I ever expected due to the ViX Team image. With this in mind we are now in the process of setting up another server to backup our current server. With the membership level where it is and the amount of data we have I feel that this is now needed. Basically our current server will be backed up 3 times per week to another server, so if ever we loose data it will be minimal.

Our costs each month are now set at £85.00, this is to pay for two VPS servers, our main and the backup. Any funds raised over this value each month will go towards future payments or maybe development hardware for the team. Out of the funds raised we have already purchased Andyblac a piece of hardware for development purposes.

Again I'd like to thank everyone that has donated so far.

On behalf of all the Staff here.
    Sic.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

bassethound (26-11-10),bigup7 (24-12-10),Blu-ray (30-11-10),Diablo13 (24-12-10),dmgp (27-11-10),Donnie (30-11-10),DrProzac (27-11-10),fulabeer (26-11-10),guff daddy (26-11-10),harryoz (30-11-10),keith0509 (26-11-10),Larry-G (26-11-10),Maxwell (27-11-10),mickbrush (26-11-10),silverfox0786 (26-11-10),SLOTH (26-11-10),wullboy (30-11-10)

Title
    Thanks
    In order to cut costs would it not be a good idea to use a NAS box in someones house to run the backups? they could be automated to back up every evening or something, that would save money on a monthly basis. Just a thought. one other point. I pay £80 every 3 months for my 1 and 1 server. this is a VPS server but it is fast and reliable.
    vu duo 2, vu duo, vu uno. 3 sky zone 2 dishes, 19e 23.5e and 28.2e. Triax td110cm dish on a tripod used for messing around. Satlink meter and rover stc eu.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1978 View Post
    In order to cut costs would it not be a good idea to use a NAS box in someones house to run the backups? they could be automated to back up every evening or something, that would save money on a monthly basis. Just a thought. one other point. I pay £80 every 3 months for my 1 and 1 server. this is a VPS server but it is fast and reliable.
    I tried many servers before our current, the only server we've found stable and fast was this. I did look into 1&1 hosting, but their terms unmetered bandwidth has a fair usage policy. Here we're on true unmetered bandwidth, we can use terabytes on bandwidth. I'm trying to setup the second server so that it mirrors the first. So if one oges down, we can switch to the backup until the main server is working again. Another reason for this is in the event the main server goes down, it would take me far too long to ftp all the files backup, currently over 12GB.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

bassethound (30-11-10),Diablo13 (24-12-10)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    i think it would be a good idea if everytime the VIX new image was avialable and ready for release you announce its ready and then a small extra donation fund was set up.....we all donate and as soon as its reached (which i think would be quite quickly) the image is then posted.....we gota show our appreciation and its a small price to pay each i think

7. The Following User Says Thank You to satsatsat For This Useful Post:

Diablo13 (24-12-10)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satsatsat View Post
    i think it would be a good idea if everytime the VIX new image was avialable and ready for release you announce its ready and then a small extra donation fund was set up.....we all donate and as soon as its reached (which i think would be quite quickly) the image is then posted.....we gota show our appreciation and its a small price to pay each i think
    Nice Idea, but I'd rather member's donated because they wanted to.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Diablo13 (24-12-10)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    i have nothing against donations and will be donating as soon as this shooting season is over ( ammo is damned expensive ) however your idea can easily be construed as the team asking for money before they release the new firmware which i think is a bad idea and would set the wrong impression of both the vix firmware and this forum.

people will donate they always do but people will not be forced into donating and the second they think they are things will go down hill very fast. i have seen it happen on way to many forums over the past 10 years.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

andyblac (05-12-10),bassethound (30-11-10),Diablo13 (24-12-10),Donnie (30-11-10),Sicilian (30-11-10)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    i didnt mean it in that way....but i take ur point it is open to misunderstanding which would be negative.....fair comment

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to satsatsat For This Useful Post:

andyblac (05-12-10),bassethound (30-11-10),Diablo13 (24-12-10),Donnie (30-11-10),Larry-G (30-11-10),Sicilian (30-11-10)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    i didnt mean it in that way....but i take ur point it is open to misunderstanding which would be negative.....fair comment
    yes mate i know which way you meant it and i do appreciate your idea. but as you said some people will only see the negative in such a idea and once rumours start of a team asking for money before a release it's pretty much all over true or otherwise.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

andyblac (05-12-10),bassethound (30-11-10),Diablo13 (24-12-10),Sicilian (30-11-10)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    As phoenix said, can't really force users to donate to download the image... Only thing that would be slightly possible, would be something like some other forums where you get the image quicker because you are a donated member, and because you are a donated member, you get little extras compared to others. But then that wouldn't work, because people wouldn't want to wait for the image, it would end up getting leaked, and there's not really much you can release as custom versions

So, donation because people want to / can donate is the best way
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pooface For This Useful Post:

andyblac (05-12-10),bassethound (30-11-10),Diablo13 (24-12-10),Donnie (30-11-10),harryoz (30-11-10),Larry-G (30-11-10),Sicilian (30-11-10)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Personnaly i'd leave it as it is the fact that VIX is such a helpful community and keeping every one upto date.

And most importantly not stuckup like some teams every one is willing to donate and enyone who doesn't donate then no hard feelings its still a free forum with help fun and kindness to all its members
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to silverfox0786 For This Useful Post:

andyblac (05-12-10),bassethound (30-11-10),Diablo13 (24-12-10),harryoz (30-11-10),Sicilian (30-11-10)

Prioryman
    Guy's in a "nut Shell" if you want this forum to work Donate.

We all like something for nothing (thats life), however we would be moaning if this site went "tits up" so it up to you.

Now I have said my bit I'll get off my high horse........

Regards all

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Prioryman For This Useful Post:

silverfox0786 (30-11-10)

Ojustaboo
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    yes mate i know which way you meant it and i do appreciate your idea. but as you said some people will only see the negative in such a idea and once rumours start of a team asking for money before a release it's pretty much all over true or otherwise.
    Agree 100%. On top of that, it will be seen by some (possibly even from a legal stand point) as being a product that is sold rather than free, that can lead to all sorts of complications with regards to bugs, people demanding their money back, people demanding support now or even the makers of VU demanding some sort of royalties from making money from their box etc etc

Ojustaboo
    Quote Originally Posted by Prioryman View Post
    Guy's in a "nut Shell" if you want this forum to work Donate.

We all like something for nothing (thats life), however we would be moaning if this site went "tits up" so it up to you.

Now I have said my bit I'll get off my high horse........

Regards all
    While I don't disagree with you, I do find the way the donation bar has altered to be very confusing (nothing knew there, I'm easily confused lol)
    For example, your saying that we need to donate, but according to the main page, they have "received a total of £130 in donations towards our goal of £85.00" which looks to the average person that they have a surplus of £45

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojustaboo View Post
    While I don't disagree with you, I do find the way the donation bar has altered to be very confusing (nothing knew there, I'm easily confused lol)
    For example, your saying that we need to donate, but according to the main page, they have "received a total of £130 in donations towards our goal of £85.00" which looks to the average person that they have a surplus of £45
    yes your right OJ and the 45 surplus will be added to next month or used to get more development equiptment as stated by Sic in the first post
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Ojustaboo
    Yep I understand that, however many people looking at the front page, wont, and will think there's no need to donate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast