Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Signal pass-through on DVB-C/T/T2 tuners

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts

Signal pass-through on DVB-C/T/T2 tuners

Is the box supposed to provide a pass-through signal on the tuners when it is in Deep Standby?

I originally set things up with the aerial connexion going in to tuner1, on to tuner2 and from there to the TV, but when I switched to Deep Standby the TV signal strength dropped to almost absent.

Not a probelm for me, as I'm able to feed the TV via another PVR which does pass-through OK when in standby, but some may only have one aerial feed.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Apologies for the typo in the thread topic name...
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    I've found that the loop through signal drops to nothing when the box is in deep standby (I've one terrestrial and one sat tuner). To get around this you could use a quality splitter and feed the first box connection and TV separately. Use good quality splitter and connectors, otherwise you will degrade the signal strength even more. Avoid cheap "plasticky" Y splitters.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    Avoid cheap "plasticky" Y splitters.
    Code:
    http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/Splitter/
    If you get a splitter with F connectors you can find F to Coax (belling lee type) adapters on Ebay for little money

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Passthrough will not work in deep standby as the box is effectively off (except for the clock). A splitter will do the job as previously advised
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Not quite part of the op question but the pass through is a good feature as I originally had run 2 seperate lines to each tuner like you would dvb-s which was causing me grief as I had an extra split and also no way to properly route the second feed (other than down the stairs)
    I had issues with strength as well as I was effectively splitting 4 times
    until I tried a loop through
    I was shocked it worked but none the less happy as I had a good signal back and no new cable to try and route through a newly decorated part of the house!!

Oh I use a venton hd2 but I think it's just virtually the same box just rebadged

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Please be advised that 'pass through' needs active support by drivers and will hence only work when the box is not down. At least this is the case for DVB-S, I'm not 100% sure if the same applies to DVB-T/C.

Furthermore: using a splitter in a DVB-S cable is seldom a good idea. As part of the tuning is done by the LNB (i.e. the setting High/Low-Hor/Vert) this can never be done by two boxes independent of each other. So this only makes sense when you're sure that when you use the second box, the first box is in deep sleep. And I'm not sure if tuners and/or LNB's will survive it when two (or more) boxes are trying to command the same LNB.
    When using a pass-through this is no issue at all, as the box that does the pass-through 'knows' what is in use and what it can pass through. This means that
    1- if the tuner is in use, it will ignore any LNB-tune and DiSEqC commands from the second box, and the second box will be limited to the same 'quadrant' as the first box is looking at
    2- if the tuner is not in use, it will pass all commands to to the LNB and the second box has no limitations at all.

As there's no such 'partial tuning' or DiSEqC for DVB-T/C, splitters can be used throughout the house (i.e. multiple times, a splitter for each connected box).

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    This was DVB-T/C, no mention of DVB-S or splitting of satellite feeds
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers