Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GI-XSPEED LX3 fitting an Extra Fan

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks

GI-XSPEED LX3 fitting an Extra Fan

I am very happy with my LX3 it is a great receiver but the only thing about it that gives me any concern is that the plug in tuners seem to get Extremely Hot
    even when in standby, so I always put it in Deep Standby when I am not using it
    I had the top case off yesterday to replace the cable tuner with a sat one and did a little experiment
    I disconnected the internal fan and put it next to the tuners and it fit nicely so I think that a 40mm fan will do the job, as the standard fan is 50mm and slightly high to fit snugly in the recess,now the standard fan has a 2pin connection and I do not think that I will be able to find an adapter to split the fan in to 2 feeds but I do not really want to use the standard fan's connection in case it caused a problem with the power drain
    But the Hard Drive is connected with a standard 4 pin molex connector so I should easily be able to run a extra feed from that to power the extra fan
    but I am not sure if I will cause any problems with the power delivery to the Hard Drive or the Receiver for that matter
    in principle and on paper it should work fine it's just having the nerve to try it out, and Hopefully some one with a better nonage than me can tell me otherwise, here are a few pictures to show what I mean

20140720_154857.jpg20140720_150658.jpg20140720_151942.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]3611120140720_151954.jpg[/ATTACH]20140720_154805.jpg20140720_154752.jpg20140720_151817.jpg
    Last edited by nsw9154; 21-07-14 at 17:15.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,051 Times in 7,637 Posts
    Many tuner modules get warm/hot, even the VU+ Duo2 twin tuner module gets hot, don't worry about it. I've tested the plug and play tuners with constant scanning for 8 hours+ until they really where roasting hot.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    That was a fast reply I was still editing pictures thank you for the quick reply Sicilian I was a little concerned and I supose that receivers like the Gigablue Quad seem to run ok without fans
    I suppose that I could get a small frying pan and do some eggs

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsw9154 View Post
    That was a fast reply I was still editing pictures thank you for the quick reply Sicilian I was a little concerned and I supose that receivers like the Gigablue Quad seem to run ok without fans
    you could always use one of hose cheap usb powered laptop pads to cool things down a little, I was thinking of doing something similar my self last week when i saw the temperature on my Quad hit 81 degrees.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    That was a fast reply I was still editing pictures thank you for the quick reply Sicilian I was a little concerned
    Why? You have a 2 year warranty.

Exaggeration lol! Seriously though, I felt a few other receivers that actually do get hot, a lot hotter than LX3, to me the LX3 is warm.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

nsw9154 (21-07-14)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    you could always use one of hose cheap usb powered laptop pads to cool things down a little, I was thinking of doing something similar my self last week when i saw the temperature on my Quad hit 81 degrees.
    These receivers are manufactured to take the heat, honestly don't understand why people worry about it.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    These receivers are manufactured to take the heat, honestly don't understand why people worry about it.
    I know but it's human nature to be wary of things that get hot, especially electrical items that in the worst case scenario could malfunction and cause a fire. Not saying it could or would happen but it's a niggle in the back of your mind when you see or feel something like a satellite receiver getting that hot, especially if like me you work any where upto 20 hrs a day. Hence why my receivers are for the most part fully powered off most of the time.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    funny you should mention that pheonix I was thinking about them trays that you used to fit under the old Dreamboxes with the extra fans to cool them down

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have one under my duo2 with quad sat tuner and the tuner connections get too hot to touch, the one I have is the cooler master xpad, had to get one from Germany as no one seemed to have one in the UK, unlike a lot of cooling pads it can lie completely flat and it is an exact size match for the duo 2, I also have my duo2 set to power down after being in standby for 90 mins.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    the Duo2 gets no where as hot as my LX3 both have 2 Sat cables fitted but it's the 2 plug in tuners that seem to get hot on the LX3
    just checked my Duo2 and the temp is a cool 30c goodness knows what the LX3 temps are
    I have just ordered 2 of them thermometers for checking the temp of chicken and cooked meat our lass wanted one for the Barbecue so I thought I may as well get my self one as well and I will try it out on them sat tuners on the LX3

Thank you DaMacFunkin for the heads up on them coolers I should have known that they where Cooler master I use their stuff a lot in my PC I will do a search

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Make sure Fan is on and at a good speed.

On my DUO2 with quad tuners temp never gets above ealry 40's, where as my Quad hits double that.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have Quad tuners on my Duo2 but only tuners A and C are connected and the temps are fine it's the LX3 that is my concern as it has a fan but no fan control it's either on/off or Auto and no temps are shown but they get HOT, but like Sicilian said they are cool compared to other receivers he has tried

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    I have Quad tuners on my Duo2 but only tuners A and C are connected and the temps are fine it's the LX3 that is my concern as it has a fan but no fan control it's either on/off or Auto and no temps are shown but they get HOT, but like Sicilian said they are cool compared to other receivers he has tried
    Trouble is, what some people define as hot, others would define as warm. To me they're warm due to the amount of receivers I played with. Really would not worry about it. I've got a Solo SE here testing ViX, not hot round the tuner, but warm/hot round CPU area with a plastic lid, that I'm actually a little concerned about.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    I don't have LX3,but my LX2 is waaaaaaay much hotter then GigaBlue UEI can make bacon-egg breakfast every morning
    IMHO LX--- is overrated
    GigaBlue HD800UE OPENVIX HELIOS
    Xpeed LX2 HDF

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Test a TM-7102, then you will see a hot receiver, trust me, LX are warm, not hot.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast