Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why cant I have Vix 3.0 image back

Title
    Thanks

Why cant I have Vix 3.0 image back

Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    Zeus and Helios are working perfectly for me on half a dozen different receivers, the only ones which are having issues are all down to driver related issues such as the Technomate line and the Ventons (plus receivers based on Ventons), this is not specifically a ViX issue it affects every image. we cant win, if we dont release a image people complain, and when we do they still complain. makes me wonder why i bother putting almost 80 hrs a week into this forum / Image with replies like that.
    Pheonix,

My reply was not a dig at people like yourself. You do this as a hobby. I do woodwork. Nobody makes me do woodwork. I choose to do it.

But, once i have made a nice table that works........I don't change it. I enjoy it.

Hobbyists, like yourself and others on the forum always seek something better, and better, and better. Nothing wrong with that, if that is your outlook, but you must appreciate, your improvements / upgrades have to work. When one reads through the forums neither Zeus nor Helios seem to have set the heather alight so far.....especially if you are not a Vu user.

Another question is..........why was Vix 3.0 changed in the first place when it worked flawlessly ?

Please do not take offence at this response, but it is genuinely my points of view.....to which you, and no doubt others have the right to reply.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    I closed the other thread because there were two threads with the same problem. Anybody wanting help with their Ventons can continue in the other thread about the drivers.

Please continue here if you want to discuss other issues..

Title
    Thanks
    You can still use vix 3, there's nothing wrong with it. If you need to add something to it, like a plugin, you can add it manually.

Don't take this the wrong way but you're asking someone else to do the work that you can do yourself.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    ViX was founded on the principle of always striving to be better, always pushing the envelope of what is possible to achieve with the dated and limited Enigma 2 environment, if we simply decided that the image was as good as it was ever going to be, we would not have moved on from ViX 1.0, we would not have taken the decision to move away from the Vu+ OI and base ViX 2.0 on Pli's OE. hell ViX would not have even been created if we thought like that.

We got grief when we decided to support Technomate hardware and still continue to get grief from the same people, yet they seem to forget that without ViX there would be no working E2 image for Technomate hardware, and the same applies to a few other hardware manufacturers. so to try and claim we are building images that only work with Vu+ hardware is not only wrong but it's down rite infuriating.

what we do here is for the love of the hobby, we are not paid to provide support to any one or for any one, but we go out of our way to accommodate user requests into the image, even if the features being requested are not something we would use our selves. yes sometimes changes we make cause issues but this is a two way street and the drivers as provided to us by the hardware manufacturers play a huge role in the user experience, drivers that we have no control over what so ever, so we are at their mercy as much as you are.

as for ViX 3.0 I am pleased you liked it but we decided to move on and it has been superseded in the same way ViX 2.xx was. we have created a new OE core which is no longer based on Pli's OE, allowing us greater freedom to develop and innovate and we are in the process of doing the same with our E2. If you are not happy then by all means return to ViX 3.0.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Conaxthewarrior (22-08-14)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    A decision was made a while back so that the feeds are stable all the time. As soon as an image is on the feeds you get the update notification even if you have not alowed beta images.

When an issue is reported, the feeds will be changed to unstable by Admin. Only those who allow beta updates will see it. If something is serious, then the image can be removed from the public server.

I dont think we have any beta testers with the Ventons. There was an issue with their drivers, credit to them they have fixed it. It has been committed to the build process for the openvix image. When Apollo is released, they will be included. Nobody forces people to update. You even get an opton to create a full image backup before upgarding so you can restore.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by seame View Post
    You can still use vix 3, there's nothing wrong with it. If you need to add something to it, like a plugin, you can add it manually.

Don't take this the wrong way but you're asking someone else to do the work that you can do yourself.
    Point I am making is ....if there is nothing wrong with it, why change it ?

I am quite happy to do the work myself, (perhaps you can point out what I want others to do for me) but I feel I have upgraded to an image that does not load on my Venton box.

My question still remains.....Who makes a decision to change the image version without ensuring compatibility with manufacturers ? and, even worse, release that image to the general public......who mostly just want to watch TV, not dabble. tweak, adjust, etc etc and many who will want to upgrade "the latest image"

Again, with respect, like Pheonix, I do hope you do not take offense at my points.

With respect
    Last edited by skronk; 14-05-14 at 21:13.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skronk View Post
    I think you have answered your own question. Before you take an upgrade or jump to Zeus or whatever, you look at the upgrade history and see if there is any benefit..... If not just don't upgrade.... And the old(er) versions are around long enough to go back if you have failed to take a backup.
    As technology moves on and there are new features etc, at times you have to jump to a new architecture... it's just evolution.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Conaxthewarrior (22-08-14)

Title
    Thanks

I am quite happy to do the work myself, (perhaps you can point out what I want others to do for me) but I feel I have upgraded to an image that does not load on my Venton box.

My question still remains.....Who makes a decision to change the image version without ensuring compatibility with manufacturers ? and, even worse, release that image to the general public......who mostly just want to watch TV, not dabble. tweak, adjust, etc etc and many who will want to upgrade "the latest image"

Again, with respect, like Pheonix, I do hope you do not take offence at my points.

With respect
    I'm unsure where you're going with this tbh. The 3.0 image hasn't changed so if you only want to watch TV and not dabble tweak and adjust just flash the image and watch TV.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Why not ?.

The vast amount of users want IPTV, Multimedia functions and more, these features dont just happen but have to be developed, and with the old OE this was becoming harder and harder, so we updated in order to allow future development.

we as a group decide when it is time to release, and the image was working perfectly fine until a recent driver update was included into the GIT which seems to have caused these issues, hence a new driver is needed. we dont just blindly release images, you would know this by the amount of times we have withheld TM images from release due to driver issues.

Again, with respect, like Pheonix, I do hope you do not take offense at my points.

With respect
    Not at all, but with regard to ViX 3.0, we have physically deleted the feeds and we wont be building any further images in this line, we have neither the manpower or finances to allow us to develop and maintain multiple image lines.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    I think you have answered your own question. Before you take an upgrade or jump to Zeus or whatever, you look at the upgrade history and see if there is any benefit..... If not just don't upgrade.... And the old(er) versions are around long enough to go back if you have failed to take a backup.
    As technology moves on and there are new features etc, at times you have to jump to a new architecture... it's just evolution.
    So where are the older versions ? See last paragraph in above post.
    Last edited by skronk; 14-05-14 at 21:28.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by seame View Post
    I'm unsure where you're going with this tbh. The 3.0 image hasn't changed so if you only want to watch TV and not dabble tweak and adjust just flash the image and watch TV.
    Maybe because its not there in images. I had to go to some German site to find it!!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    I think you have answered your own question. Before you take an upgrade or jump to Zeus or whatever, you look at the upgrade history and see if there is any benefit..... If not just don't upgrade.
    I understand your point, but if there is no benefit to the new image why would anybody change it ? The creators must feel there is a benefit, and bowing to their knowledge of the subject, I believe that.

Anyway, I am content to wait until a complete working image is released. When 3.0 was on the go I would only update every 3-4 weeks, so no great problem.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Who says there is no benefit to it ?.

1. we included a fix for the OpenSSL heartbleed bug as part of the OE update.

2. We included DVB-T scanning into ABM.

3. we included DVB-C scanning into ABM.

And that's just three off the top of my head.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

SIMPLES.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Please read the release notes of Zeus/Helios (and soon Apollo): there you find the reasons behind the updates.
    To short-phrase: the very same reason why MS withdrew XP.

And you can repeat and go in circles and circles again, but pre-Zeus images and feeds are not available anymore, for which we also gave our reasons.

And believe me: we do lots and lots of testing before any image gets released. But sometimes we're just being overtaken by events (most of the time driver related but sometimes 'accidents' take place as well).

PS: Be careful downloading 'images' from other sites. It happens often enough that these are not virgin images, but backups with all kinds of stuff embedded or deleted.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    Who says there is no benefit to it ?.

1. we included a fix for the OpenSSL heartbleed bug as part of the OE update.

2. We included DVB-T scanning into ABM.

3. we included DVB-C scanning into ABM.

And that's just three off the top of my head.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Pheonix,

If you read my answer again you will see I am agreeing with you that there must be a benefit. I said that bowing to your greater knowledge of the subject, I believe that.

Moving on........Is there a projected date for release 18 which is rumoured to contain updated drivers (for Venton)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast