Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide to stream your VU+ Duo over the WEB using VLC

Title
    Thanks

Guide to stream your VU+ Duo over the WEB using VLC

This guide aims to show you how to stream your VU+ Duo over the web

This is my first guide so be gentle!!

If someone knows a better way or wants to improve this quide feel free

I am using VLC version 0.8.6i as I have tried later versions and they don't seem to work

1 Access you VU+ WEB control http://yourbox ip: (port number) usually 80

2 Right click on TV icon (top right of screen) picture and Select copy shortcut

3 This is the URL to the for the channel currently selected

4 Open VLC Select FILE & OPEN NETWORK STREAM

5 Select HTTP and paste your link & Click Settings

6 Fill in the boxes as shown below & click OK

You can adjust the Bitrate/Codecs to see what works best for your connection speed

You should now see a RE-Encoded (lower quality) file playing on VLC

8 Check that this can be accessed from your internal network first
    to access the stream type http://YourPC'sIP:1234 into VLC on another machine

9 Providing that has worked next go into your router setup (this procedure varies on you Router type)and make sure port 1234 is forwarded to the address of the machine running VLC doing the re-encoding

(You can change this to another port if you prefer in VLC Stream setting)

10 To access from the web you need to know your Broadband IP if it is fixed (if not regisiter youself with http://www.dyndns.com) where you can get a fixed address even if you have a dynamic IP

11 To Acess the stream over the net enter you address & port number
    some thing like http://myname.dyndns.org:1234
    or http://MY.ADSL.IP:1234

The only limatation of this method is that if you want to change channel you need to copy the new channel address into VLC and start the stream again.

So you should set up remote desktop to access the PC from over the Net also

Hope this makes sense any questions just ask

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to hifial For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BRAVEHEART (14-09-11),BuKandar83 (19-11-10),Donnie (27-11-10),ford (07-05-11),GecHo (28-02-12),HANIYA (21-11-19),kurila (19-09-12),Maxwell (09-11-10),mcquaim (31-01-11),Palinkat (09-11-10),Sicilian (09-11-10),silverfox0786 (09-11-10),snakie (12-02-11),ynwa (02-03-11)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Worked brilliantly thanks

although mine i did not have to go on to step 6 i just pressed ok instead of settings in step 5 and it started streaming
    Last edited by silverfox0786; 09-11-10 at 01:29.
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverfox0786 For This Useful Post:

bosspapy (13-01-11),kurila (19-09-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Excellent glad it was a help

You only need to go into settings if you want to adjust the quality setting bitrate of the video and audio etc Also the TTL can need changed to 12 depending the amount of hops over the net before it reaches your remote pc

Title
    Thanks
    Ok I've got a bit of an update I found a better way to do this using the latest VLC, instead of using the .m3u link from the web interface. Use the Webinterface to pick your channel but use the actual channel address eg.
    http://your.boxIP:8001/1:0:1:125f:7ee:2:11a0000:0:0:0 this is SKY1 the complete list of channel address are stored in etc/enigma2 on your box in the bouquets files for each sat.

Thanks to Ojustaboo for this info!!
    Last edited by hifial; 27-11-10 at 00:18.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hifial For This Useful Post:

Donnie (06-12-10),johnrichard (19-09-20),jrbmw (02-06-12),kurila (19-09-12),mcquaim (31-01-11),Sicilian (29-11-10)

Title
    Thanks
    hi guys,

I get the stream playing from box to vlc on my pc and have my port forwarded , when I go to mydyndns.orgort in a browser(on another pc) I get the openwith / save box when I choose open with on mediaplayer or vlc it just downloads non stop and nothing opens

Title
    Thanks
    could be a codec issue - does the secondary PC have the right codec on for what you are re-streaming?

Also try going to VLC and opening a network stream with the address rather than your browser - might not make any difference but worth a try

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hifial View Post
    This guide aims to show you how to stream your VU+ Duo over the web

This is my first guide so be gentle!!

If someone knows a better way or wants to improve this quide feel free

I am using VLC version 0.8.6i as I have tried later versions and they don't seem to work

1 Access you VU+ WEB control http://yourbox ip: (port number) usually 80

2 Right click on TV icon (top right of screen) picture and Select copy shortcut

3 This is the URL to the for the channel currently selected

4 Open VLC Select FILE & OPEN NETWORK STREAM

5 Select HTTP and paste your link & Click Settings

6 Fill in the boxes as shown below & click OK

You can adjust the Bitrate/Codecs to see what works best for your connection speed

You should now see a RE-Encoded (lower quality) file playing on VLC

8 Check that this can be accessed from your internal network first
    to access the stream type http://YourPC'sIP:1234 into VLC on another machine

9 Providing that has worked next go into your router setup (this procedure varies on you Router type)and make sure port 1234 is forwarded to the address of the machine running VLC doing the re-encoding

(You can change this to another port if you prefer in VLC Stream setting)

10 To access from the web you need to know your Broadband IP if it is fixed (if not regisiter youself with http://www.dyndns.com) where you can get a fixed address even if you have a dynamic IP

11 To Acess the stream over the net enter you address & port number
    some thing like http://myname.dyndns.org:1234
    or http://MY.ADSL.IP:1234

The only limatation of this method is that if you want to change channel you need to copy the new channel address into VLC and start the stream again.

So you should set up remote desktop to access the PC from over the Net also

Hope this makes sense any questions just ask
    Thanks for the above but i will like to stream on my laptop when am away from home for example in a friend place or office..can you explain how i can do this?
    thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jfk For This Useful Post:

Neckerman (30-03-16)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the guide hifial, works well..

Anyone come up with a method for changing the channels yet?

I am using AirVideo server to stream to my iPhone and I'm able to switch channels on it so I'm thinking it's possible!

Anyone know is there an AirVideo client for pc or some software that can talk to the server?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mcquaim For This Useful Post:

kurila (19-09-12)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi there,

Has anyone had any trouble streaming over the Internet since the VLC update to revision 1.1.7?

My remote PC will not open the stream, attempts for 3-4 seconds and then stops!

I've also noticed that the CPU on the pc that is streaming the signal is running really high since the update, up in the 90's. I am using the quality settings listed above. Do these need to be lowered to help reduce the CPU usage?

Thanks,
    mcquaim

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mcquaim For This Useful Post:

kurila (19-09-12)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi All,

I have an answer to this problem and it works really well except for one little issue that I'll talk about later.

Anyway, to create a playlist of streams and be able to change the channels then follow these steps. This is based on VLC revision 1.1.7 and I'm running Win7 Home Premium.

1. Firstly, save the Channels.txt file I have attached to a location on your local machine as Channels.xspf. You can add whatever channels you want but for this example I have only included BBC1, BBC2, UTV and C4. To get the channel ref's you can find them in the channel bouquets on your VuDuo. If your VuDuo is password protexted then you will need to add the username and pasword to the url as follows:

http://username:password@vuDuo-ip:8001:channel ref.....

2. Secondly, save the VLC_Server.txt file to you local machine, desktop most likely place as VLC_Server.bat. Right click on this file and then click Edit. You need to change the path to where you saved Channels.xspf above. You might also want to change the quality settings, mine are set quite low as my broadband is rubbish.

3. Ensure that your router has ports 8080 and 12345 opened and forwarded to the machine you are currently working on. If you don't know how to do this then read some of the sticky's on how to do this.

4. Set yourself up with a dyndns.com account to keep your router's WAN ip address in sync with your new dyndns URL. Download the dyndns update client to automatically keep this updated.

5. Double click on the VLC_Server.bat file saved on your desktop. This will launch VLC player and start streaming the first item in your playlist. I have it set not to play locally but you can do what you wish.

6. On a remote pc (On LAN or Internet) open VLC and click Media -> Open Network Stream and type your new dyndns url and port number into the text box and click play:

http://xxxxx.dyndns.tv:12345 (xxxxx is whatever you specify on dyndns.com)

7. On your browser enter the url http://xxxxx.dyndns.tv:8080 and this will connect you to the VLC Web Interface of the PC currently streaming above at step 5. From here you can change the channels by navigating through the playlist by clicking on the Next and Previous buttons. This will switch the stream on the PC at step 5.

And that is it, remotely change your streaming TV from your VuDuo. A problem that I have noticed however is the the VLC Web Interface does not manage to take across the <title></title> tag from the Channels.xspf file. All you are left with is the actual stream reference for some reason. It is a bug that I have noticed has already been raised with the VideoLAN team.

If anyone has a better approach then please keep me posted.

Enjoy,
    mcquaim

Channels.txt
    VLC_Server.txt

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mcquaim For This Useful Post:

kurila (19-09-12)

Title
    Thanks
    hi guys ,im having a problem with the streaming,iv had it up and running for last couple of weeks but yesterday my channels went off ,it was a network failure so i swapped ports on my bb router and it worked,but since doin dat i cant connect with the ip address on computer ,or connect to the control center...wud really apprevieate any help or advice to resolve my problem,thanks,miltown man

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 832 Posts
    have a look in menu/plugins/webinterface and see what HTTP port is on there and make sure that is the port that you have forwarded in your router for the ip address of your box
    "Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to Install Cams on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Setup Picons on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Use Image Manager & Backup Manager on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Use Log Manager on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Setup Inadyn on ViX Image - Click Here / How To Update Satellites.xml File - Click Here
    How To Stream TV To iPhone & iPad - Click Here
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Title
    Thanks
    guys iv a little problem,i cant even connect to my web control...i.e my ip address,therefor cannot connect to vucc.i was workin for 3 weeks den just stoppoed workin,iv tried every network setting on box,no gud ,please help,i cannot take much more mickey mouse or masterchef,,thanks willire

iv only just this minute seen punishers reply,thanks mate

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 832 Posts
    lol what do you type in the browser to access your webcontrol?
    "Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can"
    How to Install Cams on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Setup Picons on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Use Image Manager & Backup Manager on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Use Log Manager on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Setup Inadyn on ViX Image - Click Here / How To Update Satellites.xml File - Click Here
    How To Stream TV To iPhone & iPad - Click Here
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Title
    Thanks
    k just checked web interface,everything is on yes,except autowrite timer,http port is 80,think dats right,https port is 00443.now if im honest i havent a clue wat dat is,but it aint workin ne way,,,a very complex bit of technology to say da least,not for da computer illiturate like myself im thinkin.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast