Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: DM500S Enigma2 Port [Help]

Title
    Thanks

DM500S Enigma2 Port [Help]

Hello guys i've been trying the enigma2 port via nfs to my dreambox dm500s.

Since im not sure if i can post other forum links ill just quote the instructions below:

### Requirements
    #
    - DM500 is connected to LAN
    - FlashWizard Pro for DM500 NFS multiboot
    - NFS server on which FlashWizard can install images

### How to set it up
    #
    1. Flash an Enigma1 image that has a linux kernel supporting swapon (latest Pli Jade is good)
    2. Boot the image you just flashed and when it shows the first dialog/window just leave it there
    3. Setup your NFS server if needed (google "Ubuntu NFS server howto" if you don't know what that is)
    4. Launch FlashWizard Pro and setup multiboot options
    - Let FlashWizard install it's bootloader on the FLASH when it asks
    - Disable HDD, USB and CF media for multibooting
    - Enable NFS multiboot options (I used path=media/dreamhdd & IP=192.168.0.1 for 192.168.0.1:/media/dreamhdd share)
    - Press autodetect (should show free space on NFS when connection to NFS server & DM500 are ok)
    - Drag & drop the Enigma2 .fw2 file into the box in FlashWizard
    - Let FW do it's job and when done just close it
    5. Reboot your DM500 and select "Enigma2" from the bootloader boot menu
    6. Wait 1-5 minutes for Enigma2 to boot up
    7. When you see the Enigma2 setup wizard now for the first time, just leave it there (don't set it up yet)
    8. Telnet into your DM500
    - Create a swap file for the linux kernel on the NFS (YES, REALLY!!)
    > dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1024 count=65536
    > mkswap /swapfile
    > losetup /dev/loop/0 /swapfile
    > swapon /dev/loop/0
    - Set the swap file to be enabled during bootup (modify /etc/enigma2/custom_script.sh)
    9. Reboot your DM500 again to see that the swap file is in use after bootup
    - Telnet in and run "free"
    10. Done! You may now start setting up and using Enigma2

*** NOTE: Due to the swap you'll see the spinner / cogwheels the first time you enter Menu/Channel List/Movie List.
    *** That will clear out quickly once the linux kernel has sorted out optimal memory / swap usage.

### Extra
    #
    I've disabled a few plugins by moving them to:
    /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/disabled
    /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/disabled
    To try them out just move them one level up from the disabled directory.
    I followed all the steps , i got my swap to work at startup but all i get on the screen output is a bar at the left and there is no response from remote control.
    The bootlogo appears , after the boot logo it stucks show a bar at the left of the screen. (Check Image Below)

http://s30.postimg.org/qhz9hx4wh/Untitled.jpg

My shared folder is "c:/dreamhdd"
    My custom_script.sh is in the codebox below.
    Some notes:
    I changed the ip to the one of my nfs server(its a local nfs home server)
    That x.x.x.106 is my nfs ip
    and created those /hdd and /dreamhdd folders.
    Also ive create the swap and placed it in /hdd.

Code:
    # enable these with appropriate parameters to get the best performance out of DM500
    # I've got the HDD share in the same place with the root FS mount so this will pick rootfs mount options
    mount x.x.x.106:/media/dreamhdd/ /media/hdd

# This is *REALLY* needed for Enigma2 to run smoothly on dm500
    # Should put the latest Pli Jade on FLASH as it has swapon support
    # If swap file not yet created, create one 64 MB blob. May take a couple of minutes!!!
    if [! -e /hdd/swapfile ]; then
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/hdd/swapfile bs=1024 count=65536
    mkswap /hdd/swapfile
    fi
    losetup /dev/loop/0 /hdd/swapfile
    swapon /dev/loop/0

# run CCcam with server disabled and demux data filer to save some CPU cycles
    #CCcam2.1.3 -sf -C /etc/enigma2/CCcam.cfg
    Telnet works fine , i get the enigma2 prompt , i can see the swap size when i type "free" , but im trying to figure out how to get the screen output(gui) on my screen to work so i can really use this.

If anyone can see anything wrong i might have done , or can help me i would really appreciate. Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by libtiff; 18-03-14 at 17:47.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to libtiff For This Useful Post:

Gladiator (28-05-23),seame (18-03-14)

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry I can't be of any assistance but thanks for sharing this, I'll be giving it a go over the weekend.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    personally i cant see the point of it ( not knocking it ) but the last time i tried on the DM7020S it was dreadfully slow. Things may have changed since then but i cant imagine by much.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    personally i cant see the point of it ( not knocking it ) but the last time i tried on the DM7020S it was dreadfully slow. Things may have changed since then but i cant imagine by much.
    I've never heard of this before.

As you've tried it you might be able to save me some time. If I manage to get it working on an old dm500s would it be possible to stream movies from a hdd on an enigma2 box on the same network?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    When i tried it was more a enigma1 / enigma2 image combo, which lasted all of 4 minutes on my box before it was removed as it would not even recognize the tuner in the dm7020, if the above method works great but i cant see how using such a old box to run enigma2 would be stable, but hey i may be proven wrong.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Btw heres my telnet after running the free command.

screen.jpg

The swap seems to get recongnized so right now im struggling to understand why im not getting the installation menu to the screen.

I can think of many reasons why to bother and trying that , (if we can only get it to function properly)

Also that trial-n-error is getting me more and more interested so it could be just some more knowledge in the end but thats just me. Anyone having any suggestions i could try?

This line gets me a bit confused.
    # I've got the HDD share in the same place with the root FS mount so this will pick rootfs mount options
    mount x.x.x.106:/dreamhdd/ /media/hdd

Ive noticed that the dev shared the "/media/dreamhdd" location and i was sharing /dreamhdd/ so i changed it to "/dreamhdd/"

About the /media/hdd/ , when i create the swap i had to manually moved it there because by following the swapfile steps ,the file was on root of my nfs dreambox directory.
    Last edited by libtiff; 18-03-14 at 19:03.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    When i tried it was more a enigma1 / enigma2 image combo, which lasted all of 4 minutes on my box before it was removed as it would not even recognize the tuner in the dm7020, if the above method works great but i cant see how using such a old box to run enigma2 would be stable, but hey i may be proven wrong.
    Do you remember what image you were using?
    I tried only the most latest which is "dm500-e2-FWmultiboot-20100117.rar" (20.01 MB)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    It was a the enigma2 image by PCD on the IHAD forum, I used the 5.2 version image but i see it's now upto version 9.0.

He only built these images for the boxes that could handle them ( DM7020 / DM600 ). the dm500 is or was just no where near powerful enough.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    i think ive seen those... they used the .nif extension if im not mistaken right? is there any way i can try flashing those on dm500?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    To be honest it has been a long time since i even used any of my dreamboxes so i'm not really sure. you could ask on the IHAD forum as they are more geared towards dreambox hardware.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    No luck at all at IHAD forums (No response)

If any of you want to try it or have any suggestions please post here. Im all open for some more error & trial

Title
    Thanks
    A small update

Ive finally managed to get this to work. It was a problem with the windows nfs server , some incompatibilities with case sensitive characters.

Actually the Enigma2 is running pretty decent and i havent even configured the swapfile yet. so yes BIG NEWS (at least for me)

I will create a tutorial for you guys if you want to show you exactly step-by-step how to do it.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to libtiff For This Useful Post:

Rob van der Does (22-03-14),seame (22-03-14)

Title
    Thanks
    Heres a short tutorial guys for you that might be interested

16. The Following User Says Thank You to libtiff For This Useful Post:

smudger075 (21-11-14)

Title
    Thanks
    Itryed but the image E2 for DM500 was corrupted if someone heave a good copie from this image please post here