Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Transmittion (bit torrent) tutorial

Title
    Thanks

Transmittion (bit torrent) tutorial

Ok, here is a step by step guide on how to install and use Transmission.
    Installation and connection

1) Go into the Vix feeds via "plugins" find Transmission and install it. Once installed, you should see the plugin listed below.
    VIX screenshot.jpg

2) Now click on Transmission to start it and it will give you an IP address and port number.
    Vix 2 screenshot.jpg

3) Using your laptop/PC, open up your browser and type in the address shown on your TV screen in the top URL field bar, press return and if by magic, a box shall appear !
    Username is root
    Password is dreambox
    vix 3.jpg

Setting up
    4) At the bottom left of the Transmission screen will be a spanner, click to enter in your settings. I recommend reducing your upload speed as this will not only strongly effect your download speed within Transmission, but also the internet speed of all other devices on your network.
    vix trans settings main.jpg

5) I recommend at this point to FTP to your Sat receiver, and make a folder within the recordings directory naming it something like "Downloads" A good free FPT app is here > https://filezilla-project.org/

6) In the "torrents" tab, add the new folder you just added via FTP into the "Download to" box
    vix trans settings1.jpg

Now change the speed, for this example i have selected 5kbs as the upload as anymore than that some ISP service can get laggy.
    vix trans settings 2.jpg

In the "peers" tab make your selection and add the following line to the block list & update.http://list.iblocklist.com/?list=bt_...chiveformat=gz
    vix trans settings3.jpg

NOW, in the "Network tab" note what port your using and "port forward" that same port in your router. Once succesful, it should say "open" as in screenshot below.
    vix trans settings4.jpg

Downloading!

OK, this is as easy 1, 2, 3.
    First open up a new tab in your browser.
    Find the torrent you want to download. For this will will download Linux mint! http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=144
    Firefox right click on the torrent & choose "Copy link location"
    Crome right click on the torrent & choose "Copy link address"
    Internet explorer err why! use a decent browser "

vix mint.jpg

Now clicking the folder to the top left of the transmission screen, (see screenshot step4) paste in the address, click "upload" and your download will begin.
    vix final.jpg

Thats it.. got questions about port forwading or FTP, then ask below.
    Thanks is always appreciated

I
    Last edited by josweet; 08-03-14 at 00:57.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to josweet For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (09-03-14),Andyg1988 (09-03-14),Chips (08-03-14),duoduo (09-03-14),Sicilian (11-11-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Why would ya download torrents this way pal? Doing it straight onto laptop is far quicker and less complicated. Far fewer mouse clicks too. Plus your on laptop anyway.

Title
    Thanks
    Why, simple pal, everyone’s Satellite receiver stay on 24/7 as do all. Why leave my laptop/PC downloading several hours of stuff over night when my satellite receiver can do it.
    ALSO, if i were to download a free "TV show", i can simply click "play" and watch comfortably sat in front of my TV.
    Last edited by abu baniaz; 08-03-14 at 23:41.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to josweet For This Useful Post:

Andyg1988 (09-03-14),Martincape (09-03-14)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,142 Times in 6,220 Posts
    I am going to close this thread. Please feel free to start another discussion thread about it. (Not in the guide section.)

Guides should be something that someone can read and follow. They can be edited if required.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

josweet (09-03-14),Larry-G (09-03-14)