Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Installing a dish

Title
    Thanks

Installing a dish

Hi all after some advice please.

I have a old sky dish with a single LNB
    I am looking to change the lnb to a quad.
    The site sponsor suggested that I change the dish instead and recommended a dish which comes with a quad LNB too.
    http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/...and-wall-mount

Now i can do the hardware bit of fixing the dish to the wall however I am not sure how I would align it or how much of an issue this is.

I plan to install this next to the existing dish and then remove the existing dish.

Do i need a Sat meter or anything?

any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Bart

Burnham
    I would go for the easy option and put a quad LNB on your old dish.

I have just done that with a ten year old minidish and it works perfectly. The only thing I needed was a quad LNB with a MK3 bracket adapter - total cost was £7 delivered for quad LNB + bracket. And the brand new Ѕky LNB gave me a stronger signal than the old single LNB.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnham View Post
    I would go for the easy option and put a quad LNB on your old dish.

I have just done that with a ten year old minidish and it works perfectly. The only thing I needed was a quad LNB with a MK3 bracket adapter - total cost was £7 delivered for quad LNB + bracket. And the brand new Ѕky LNB gave me a stronger signal than the old single LNB.
    ok cool
    would you mind sending me a link to what you bought please?
    i thought they were much more expensive than that?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    The Mark 4 dishes have better reception. If price difference is not too much, best to get a better dish.

If the mount on the wall is the same, make a mark with a CD pen so you know where to put the next one. Most if not all satellite receivers have a signal meter to fine tune. The one pictured below is really easy, two nuts and then you can pull the dish away. Bracket will remain on wall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Thanks
    I dont have a prob with mounting the dish I'm just wondering how I would go about aligning it as I woudlnt assume that the dish would come with any signal meter? Do i need one to lock in or if i ensure I keep the old dish up and angle the new one the same should that suffice?

cheers Bart

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bartjunited View Post
    I dont have a prob with mounting the dish I'm just wondering how I would go about aligning it as I woudlnt assume that the dish would come with any signal meter? Do i need one to lock in or if i ensure I keep the old dish up and angle the new one the same should that suffice?

cheers Bart
    Have Satellite meter for sale on forum might help u?

Burnham
    There is nothing wrong with old Ѕky dishes, with a good modern LNB they will give you a perfectly stable signal. Just search in the usual places for a quad LNB with a MK3 adapter are you will find the same £7 price I paid.

By the time you pay for a new dish, pay for delivery, then pay for a signal meter, then spend a whole weekend in the freezing cold trying to put it up, then finding it doesn't work and you have to pay for a professional installer to sort it out ..........you will regret not trying my idea.

My idea will only cost you £7 !!! At least give it a go.

Title
    Thanks
    As Burnham says Replacing the lnb is mostly likely your best bet but if you are changing dish this is a handy way of doing it.

Before you remove your old dish from the wall mount you could mark the center of the bracket on the mount. Setup your dish and lnb (elevation and skew) according to the instructions supplied with it, then when mounting, center the new bracket on the dish with mark on the wall mount. Although its not 100% accurate it is a simple way of doing it without the need for a meter.