Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Zorin OS...... well worth a look for any linux newbie

Ten Below

Zorin OS...... well worth a look for any linux newbie

Zorin OS...... well worth a look for any linux newbie

For the past month i have been trying out as many different linux distros as possible & think this one deserves a mention for any member that is unsure about moving from windows to linux, don't worry about not been able to use your favourite windows programmes as this comes with both wine & playonlinux preinstalled and for any that will not run on those you can install VMware player (which is free for non commercial use) and run it in unity mode so they appear on your desktop just like they are running in linux which is pretty cool.

Code:
    http://www.vmware.com/uk/products/player/
    About Zorin

Main advantages

The Zorin OS operating system gives you the ultimate desktop experience. Some of the advantages of Zorin OS:

• No risk of getting viruses
    • Much faster than Windows 7
    • An easy to use and familiar desktop
    • Customizable user interface thanks to our Look Changer
    • Stable as it is based on the robust Linux operating system
    • All the software you'll ever need out of the box
    • Extremely versatile and customizable Open Source software
    • Available in over 55 languages

Top-notch security

People are in constant fear of viruses and malware in this digital world. Thanks to Zorin OS's immunity to Windows viruses you will never have to worry about them. Zorin OS also comes with integrated firewall software to keep your system extra safe. When a potential security threat arises, software updates usually come within a matter of hours through the Update Manager. With Zorin OS you are sure to have peace of mind.

Easy to use, familiar desktop

The main goal of Zorin OS is to give Windows users easy access to Linux. That is why Zorin OS incorporates the familiar Windows 7-like interface by default to dramatically reduce the learning curve of this system while still experiencing the main advantages of Linux. You can also utilise the desktop with other interfaces. This is thanks to the exclusive Zorin Look Changer which lets you change your desktop to look and act like either Windows 7, Windows XP or GNOME 2 in the free versions of Zorin OS. The Premium versions also include the Windows 2000, Unity and Mac OS X looks.

Out-of-the-box software solution

Zorin OS is packed with software, ready for you to take advantage of. From the versatile LibreOffice suite to the feature-packed OpenShot video editor, it's got it all. Zorin OS is sure to facilitate all of your everyday tasks such as web browsing, document creation, social networking, making videos, chatting with your friends and beyond, all without having to install anything.
    We have even split up Zorin OS into seven different versions to facilitate the requirements of various user groups with additional software. Those versions include the free Core version for general use, Lite for use on old and low-spec computers, Educational Lite for use in schools and universities and the premium Business, Multimedia, Gaming and Ultimate versions.

Software Galore

If the pre-installed software isn't enough for your requirements, there is no need to worry about it. Zorin OS comes with the Software Center which allows you to download and install tens of thousands of free and paid-for programs. All you have to do is open the Software Center from the start menu, find a program which you want and click Install. You can even install Windows programs on Zorin OS in a similar way with PlayOnLinux. You are also able to download installable packages (.deb and .exe) like in your current operating system.

Compatibility

Nearly every file that you use with your current operating system will work perfectly in Zorin OS with no need for additional setup. All your office documents, music, videos, pictures etc. will work out of the box in Zorin OS. Zorin OS also supports a large library of devices such as printers, scanners, cameras, keyboards. These devices will work as soon as you plug them in without the need for installing additional drivers. You can even use Windows programs and games inside Zorin OS thanks to the includedWINE and PlayOnLinux software.

Flexibility

Zorin OS gives you more flexibility. It allows you to use Zorin OS alongside your current operating system. While you install Zorin OS to your computer you have the option to keep your current operating system alongside Zorin OS and choose which one to load on start-up.

Accessibility

We want to make computers usable by everyone including disabled people so we have included tools in Zorin OS which make it one of the most accessible operating systems around. It includes such helpful tools as a text to speech program, Orca screen narrator, a screen magnifier for the visually impaired and a dwell click feature for pressing a mouse button automatically.

Download:

Last edited by Ten Below; 24-11-13 at 21:09.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ten Below For This Useful Post:

deyanc (10-12-13),fast65 (28-11-13),Mr. Mister (28-11-13),pac2000 (24-11-13),paul362 (25-11-13),rossi2000 (28-11-13),saxon (24-11-13),Sicilian (25-11-13),Sirius (24-11-13),stick50jr (30-11-13)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,036 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Looks pretty cool for a linux distro
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, AX HD61 COMBO, ZGEMMA H9 TWIN, VU+ ULTIMO 4K
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Technomate 80cm Powered by TM-2600 and Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish

Title
    Thanks
    Think I may try this out on the family laptop I share with the wife, till she gets use with the Linux operating system

Title
    Thanks
    I would like to try this. So I can just install alongside windows 7 and it won't cause problems. It would be a complete leap in the dark for me. Think I'll give it a try though. Got to start somewhere

Title
    Thanks
    Ten Below, i also run Zorin and have been for a few months. Quick question is what did u use to change the menu on the left to look more like win7 ? (the part where it says "home" in the blue transparent)

Ten Below
    Quote Originally Posted by josweet View Post
    Ten Below, i also run Zorin and have been for a few months. Quick question is what did u use to change the menu on the left to look more like win7 ? (the part where it says "home" in the blue transparent)
    I installed this buddy,
    Windows 7 for Zorin OS Box 1.0
    GnoMenu Theme

160108-1.png

Description:
    Similar to Zorin OS Box, is a menu with the appearance of Windows 7 on the left showing the most used programs, such as in Windows.

For a list of recent items recommend 10 icons in size 36.

Note: I do not know its compatibility with other systems in addition to Zorin OS 7.

Changelog:
    -Initial release.

License: GPL
    Attached Files Attached Files

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ten Below For This Useful Post:

josweet (30-11-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Quite fancy trying this as my Win 8 trial is coming to an end. Can I install on HDD as dual boot feature ?

Regards

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skronk View Post
    Quite fancy trying this as my Win 8 trial is coming to an end. Can I install on HDD as dual boot feature ?

Regards
    Have a read of this, it should help.

Code:
    http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?/topic/140731-how-to-dual-boot-zorin-and-windows/
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Hope this isn't an idiotic question but would dual booting linux and windows serve any useful purpose for normal family use?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    It would allow you to play with a linux OS while still maintaining your windows system just incase linux is not for you.

I know that Ubuntu make a easy tool that can setup a Ubuntu or Ubuntu based dual boot system in minutes and it's easily uninstalled too if need be.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Below View Post
    I installed this buddy,
    Windows 7 for Zorin OS Box 1.0
    GnoMenu Theme

160108-1.png

Description:
    Similar to Zorin OS Box, is a menu with the appearance of Windows 7 on the left showing the most used programs, such as in Windows.

For a list of recent items recommend 10 icons in size 36.

Note: I do not know its compatibility with other systems in addition to Zorin OS 7.

Changelog:
    -Initial release.

License: GPL
    Thanks mate, that worked a treat. Only quibble is the loss of the "search" window within the menu I have being also trying out the KDE desktop environment which is nice but im not sure if i like it tbh as it seems to over complicated.
    I have also modifed the bootup time out screen down to 1 second as that was getting annoying tbh when i was in a rush. I run Zorin on an SSD and my bootup time is 20 seconds

Title
    Thanks
    I am trying it on an old laptop replacing Win XP, so far so good but it will take some work to figure out all the linux commands! Looks pretty good and it boots up in seconds!

Title
    Thanks
    Ten Below,
    Im almost ready to take the next step and yesterday i tried out the all new Linux Mint 16 Petra "cinnamon". Really impressed and by far, the quickest Linux O/S. Lost of themes & no crashes!
    Difference between the cinnamon & MATE is basically, the MATE version is a cut down version of the O/S for older style hardware. Cinnamon, is what the high majority of users download.
    Stick it on a flash drive using Zorin, & see what u think.
    http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Linux-Mint-16-quot-Petra-quot-MATE-RC-Screenshot-Tour-400990-10.jpg

Ten Below
    Quote Originally Posted by josweet View Post
    Ten Below,
    Im almost ready to take the next step and yesterday i tried out the all new Linux Mint 16 Petra "cinnamon". Really impressed and by far, the quickest Linux O/S. Lost of themes & no crashes!
    Difference between the cinnamon & MATE is basically, the MATE version is a cut down version of the O/S for older style hardware. Cinnamon, is what the high majority of users download.
    Stick it on a flash drive using Zorin, & see what u think.
    http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Linux-Mint-16-quot-Petra-quot-MATE-RC-Screenshot-Tour-400990-10.jpg
    Hi josweet yes i have used mint in the past & found it pretty slick, i actually use ubuntu as my main os but thought i would mention zorin here simply because anyone trying linux for the first time or had tried other distros then uninstalled would find the menus much easier to navigate.

Title
    Thanks
    I've installed zorin (free version) and I'm impressed, its very fast and well set out.

I've only one problem with it that I can't figure out. I use the calculator a lot so its important that it works flawlessly, on the number pad the . isn't working, I know the button is working as its fine when using windows. I've searched online for info on it but there's not much about. Can any anybody that uses Linux tell me how to fix this?