Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network media player to watch live streams from E2 box

Title
    Thanks

Network media player to watch live streams from E2 box

I'm searching for a wan/lan connected media player capable to watch recordings but mainly live streams from a multituner Enigma2 box (Gigablue HD Quad) in the same wan/lan (local).
    I've watched for some android HDMI dongle, but I'm not sure it's the right solution (not so easy to get streams), is there something better that someone can suggest?

Thanks!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    1. XBMC with the VU+ addon can read EPG, switch channel and stream live-TV. I tried it once. Start was quite slow because EPG must be read but after that it was quite OK.
    2. WD Live with a special custom firmware (I never tried)
    3. Mediatiomb together with BH tuner server is able to stream live-TV over uPnP/DLNA and so quite a few uPnP-Clients might be able to show live-TV. (I never tried)
    4. easiest way a little not so expensive E2 box

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

dragoscevero (29-07-13)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Indeed the way I would advise. Once setup it is as if looking at a 'live'-box.
    You can use a cheap secondhand box, tuner may even be defect, but it must be HD-capable and running a PLi-based image.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

dragoscevero (29-07-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    1. XBMC with the VU+ addon can read EPG, switch channel and stream live-TV. I tried it once. Start was quite slow because EPG must be read but after that it was quite OK.
    2. WD Live with a special custom firmware (I never tried)
    3. Mediatiomb together with BH tuner server is able to stream live-TV over uPnP/DLNA and so quite a few uPnP-Clients might be able to show live-TV. (I never tried)

ciao
    Thanks...
    is BH tuner server compatible also with gigablue decoder, and Vix image?
    There is no BlackHole image available for my Gigablue Quad...
    I also use Mediatomb to share recordings...

I think about XBMC over an android HDMI dongle, I've read it works well with enigma1 and VU+ decoders, but will it work with a gigablue E2 decoder?
    Last edited by dragoscevero; 29-07-13 at 11:17.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    Indeed the way I would advise. Once setup it is as if looking at a 'live'-box.
    You can use a cheap secondhand box, tuner may even be defect, but it must be HD-capable and running a PLi-based image.
    I've give a think about it, but I think for less then 150 € I can't find anyone, also secondhand...
    What model of HD capable decoder can you suggest to buy, cheap but useful?

Title
    Thanks
    I've found the topic that talks about tunerserver:
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...3-Tuner-Server
    but after reading all the pages I wasn't able to know if it correctly work with uPnP devices actually.
    Thanks for info!

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    Personally I would go for option 1 without any hesitation at all. It works perfectly fine connected to my vu solo 2 (enigma 2) box with the latest ViX image installed and of course brings the multitude of benefits that XBMC has..such as playing all formats of movies, 7.1 surround sound, rich metadata presentation etc etc

I have also tried option 4 and yes it does work..but did not suit my needs as I also wanted to play music from spotify, rate my tv and movies using trakt tv..the list of additions with xbmc really is vast

10. The Following User Says Thank You to im85288 For This Useful Post:

dragoscevero (29-07-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by im85288 View Post
    Personally I would go for option 1 without any hesitation at all. It works perfectly fine connected to my vu solo 2 (enigma 2) box with the latest ViX image installed and of course brings the multitude of benefits that XBMC has..such as playing all formats of movies, 7.1 surround sound, rich metadata presentation etc etc

I have also tried option 4 and yes it does work..but did not suit my needs as I also wanted to play music from spotify, rate my tv and movies using trakt tv..the list of additions with xbmc really is vast
    Thanks!
    Does it require some plugin (on "server" decoder side) or configuration?
    This way is what I was thinking opening topic, 'cause I can use a cheap HDMI dongle with xbmc.
    The cons are I must use wifi, dongle hasn't lan port... and then no HD channels.

The other chance is getting a small android box with lan port, that can be about 100 €...

The reason by I was watching about mediatomb+tunerserver is that I also have a PS3, and I've read someone was able to use it to watch the streams...

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I am not sure if the VU+ XBMC addon runs with the android XBMC. A nice, small, cheap XBMC device is the RasberryPI which costs around €60 with power supply and case.

ciao
    ---
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    I've seen about it, but I don't tink it has hardware accelerated decoding for HD streams, will it play smoothly also HD streams (and why not, MKV or other HD lan shared files)?

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    h264 should work out of the box BUT VC1- and MPEG-2 costs a little bit extra around $2-3 each.

ciao
    ---

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

dragoscevero (29-07-13)

Title
    Thanks
    i've told an incorrect information by mistake... i was not using mediatomb, i was using ushare.
    I've seen it can't stream tuner server streams, but i can't find where mediatomb menu is...
    where can i edit its config?
    Thanx again...
    Last edited by dragoscevero; 29-07-13 at 15:03.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    mediatomb has a web interface for configuration afaik.

ciao
    ---

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragoscevero View Post
    I've seen about it, but I don't tink it has hardware accelerated decoding for HD streams, will it play smoothly also HD streams (and why not, MKV or other HD lan shared files)?
    Hi, I haven't heard great things either about the performance of raspberry pi..maybe the new Ouya console for about £100 would be a better option..however again this is not from personal experience..I much prefer to have something with quite a lot of power (currently using a mac mini) as I also do some XBMC development in my spare time.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    mediatomb has a web interface for configuration afaik.

ciao
    from port 49152 i always get an empty page, like page not exysting.
    By scanning on the lan services available by my stb ip I see port 5000 as upnp "also complex-main".
    But if i simply access this port i get "bad request" answer...
    Am I doing something wrong?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast