Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Mobile Broadband

Title
    Thanks

Question Mobile Broadband

Hi Guys

Whats the best MiFi deal out there at the moment?

I am moving at the end of the month and dont really need a Landline, I hope, and would like a MiFi so that whilst I am at home the kids and I can use our Laptops for surfing tinternet.

I think its cheaper to buy an unlocked unit off ebay and then go PAYG on the Sim. Could I stick a giff gaff sim card in the unit as you seem to get unlimited 3G internet for as little as £12 per month??? Is this possible??

Its all bit confusing. I may get Fibre broadband in a few months so dont want to be tied in to a 18month contract on a MiFi device on say 3.

Thanks

Wasim

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Was in a holiday house with no internet, lots of adults & 4 kids all last week...
    Switched my mobile (nexus 4) into wifi hotspot mode, kids tablets, mobiles, laptops & my solo2 all worked perfectly off it...

so, if you can get a cheap android device, PAYG with unlimited data, all should be fine. No expierence of giff gaff in Ireland but sounds like a decent deal.
    Saying that, it's great as a temporary solution, but fibre broadband when you're setteled into the new place should be so much better.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts

Re: Mobile Broadband

Make sure you get the right plan with giff gaff. They dont allow tethering on most "plans".

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

judge (12-07-13),swahmed (13-07-13)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Cheers Abu, no idea about giff gaff but can they stop a hotspot mode as all connected devices would use the same IP for external connction?
    Do they tie their plans down to mac address?

Title
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    Cheers Abu, no idea about giff gaff but can they stop a hotspot mode as all connected devices would use the same IP for external connction?
    Do they tie their plans down to mac address?
    They can spot tethering by the traffic that you generate as it's quite easy to identify some types of data from mobile and non-mobile devices.

I know they have blocked some users for tethering but I don't know how strict the enforcement is.
    Edited to add: you can tether on the one plan from 3 but it's quite pricy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zappahey View Post
    They can spot tethering by the traffic that you generate as it's quite easy to identify some types of data from mobile and non-mobile devices.
    Hmm, not sure about the UK, but the privacy laws in the Netherlands forbid this.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks

I only know that 3 has previously identified that I was browsing from a tethered laptop and presented a page saying that I was being naughty. I simply changed the user agent string to that of a mobile browser and all was well.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Guys

Interesting, thanks for all your assistance. I have an iPhone 4S lying around, will put my Giff Gaff sim in that device. Will look into the tethering side of things as well.

Ta

Wasim

Title
    Thanks
    im on three in the uk and tether all the time on my PAYG iphone, speeds are amazing upto 20mb up/down, normally go threw 5-10gb a month

never had any problems
    http://openvix.co.uk/stable.png
    ^^^^^ Current Status ^^^^^
    VIX - Quad Vu+ Ultimo
    IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    i use Samba mobile for for my nexus 7 tablet.I just top up by watching a few adverts and away i go.It uses 3 network which works great.Not much good if you need lots of data for watching videos ect but ideal for browsing emails.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Just jailbreak it and you can tether all you want by installing an add onn that allowa you to do it without your network knowing it.