Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know what to do with.....?

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts

Anyone know what to do with.....?

Hi guys..

Anyone know what to do with an iphone with water damage.. ??

Had a few friends around this evening for a bbq.. Well.. 14.. and beer flowing..

A few ended up in the hot tub.. and one of my mates lifted my phone from the table to throw it to me as it was ringing..

It did not reach me.. and ended up in the bottom of my hot-tub..

It was obviously on at the time.. as it was ringing.. was only in the water a few seconds.. But its dead.. I did NOT try to turn it on.. I just removed sim..

Anyone know what to do with it.. ?? as the last back up on itunes was made a few months ago.. and really need to retrive my phone number from it..

Any help greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    take it back to apple and they should exchange it for £120
    Want to know about cardsharing see Here

Latest OpenVix Found Here

Latest E2 Settings Can Be Found Herehttp://www.world-of-satellite.com/fo...gma-2-Settings

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cypchris For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (02-06-13)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for reply Chris..

I think id rather go for a Galaxy S4 than give them 120 quid..

Im not worried about my phone.. Im worried about my 600 -700 contacts.. and how to get them back..

Title
    Thanks
    are they not synced to i cloud ?
    Want to know about cardsharing see Here

Latest OpenVix Found Here

Latest E2 Settings Can Be Found Herehttp://www.world-of-satellite.com/fo...gma-2-Settings

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cypchris For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (02-06-13)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I never used icloud as it was supposed to have security issues..

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mister View Post
    Hi guys..

Anyone know what to do with an iphone with water damage.. ??

Had a few friends around this evening for a bbq.. Well.. 14.. and beer flowing..

A few ended up in the hot tub.. and one of my mates lifted my phone from the table to throw it to me as it was ringing..

It did not reach me.. and ended up in the bottom of my hot-tub..

It was obviously on at the time.. as it was ringing.. was only in the water a few seconds.. But its dead.. I did NOT try to turn it on.. I just removed sim..

Anyone know what to do with it.. ?? as the last back up on itunes was made a few months ago.. and really need to retrive my phone number from it..

Any help greatly appreciated..

Thanks
    strip it and take it apart, take the logic board and get a tooth brush and some petrol and clean it gently for about 5 mins let it dry completley very important for about 30-45 mins then put it all back together and power up, the petrol removes moisture, residue and corrosion from connectors and components that will appear after a dunking, if your really lucky it will just fire right back up no probs if you are unlucky you will have blown the backlight as thats usually the 1st thing that goes pop when they hit water and that will need replacing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to drx360 For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (02-06-13)

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks

Anyone know what to do with.....?

Take the back off and put the whole thing in a bag of rice for a month or two.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TK4|2|1 For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (02-06-13)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    First of all lets get this misconception out of the way about water damage.

it's not the water that damages the phone but the impurities in the water such as salt, sugar, chlorine etc etc etc.

now if it were any other phone you may have had a better chance by removing the battery the instant you realized it had been submerged in liquid as that would have given you a far better chance of recovery but as were talking papple ( misspelling was intentional ) you of course can not.

First thing ignore the advice about using petrol as thats got too many impurities in it and will cause more damage, use a medicinal white spirit you can get it from the chemist. the rest of the advice given it pretty much ok ( it's been a long time since i gave up repairing and unlocking phones but i used to use a small sonic bath the kind used to clean contact lenses and clean de-ionized water for a few minutes before using the white spirit )..

any hoo if those are not to hand, Gently clean the board with a soft tooth brush and a small amount of white spirit, DO NOT apply too much pressure as you will cause damage if you do, once you have spent a few minutes doing this i'd either wrap it in a lint free cloth or towel and place in a warm dry place such as a airing cupboard for the day or just bung it in a bowl of rice for a day or so to draw out any remaining traces of moisture. DO NOT place on top of a radiator or near any sources of heat.

hopefully you can get it working but if the battery has been connected all this time i fear it would have caused serious damage.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (02-06-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post

First thing ignore the advice about using petrol as thats got too many impurities in it and will cause more damage, use a medicinal white spirit you can get it from the chemist. the rest of the advice given it pretty much ok ( it's been a long time since i gave up repairing and unlocking phones but i used to use a small sonic bath the kind used to clean contact lenses and clean de-ionized water for a few minutes before using the white spirit )..
    Pheonix simply not true it will not cause any damage ive been repairing iphones for around 4 years and have bought many a crusty water damaged board back to life using this method which i got from a chap whos been an electronics engineer for over 20 years.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drx360 View Post
    Pheonix simply not true it will not cause any damage ive been repairing iphones for around 4 years and have bought many a crusty water damaged board back to life using this method which i got from a chap whos been an electronics engineer for over 20 years.
    I repaired and unlocked phones for well over 10 years mate, i'm telling you petrol is full of impurities that can and will cause damage to electronics, use a medicinal white spirit instead for far better results.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    I repaired and unlocked phones for well over 10 years mate, i'm telling you petrol is full of impurities that can and will cause damage to electronics, use a medicinal white spirit instead for far better results.
    The guy who told me about this is a 20 years experienced electronics engineer hes hardly going to give bad info like that.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I suppose that depends on where you get the petrol from but I stand by my above advice and i personally would never consider using bog standard petrol to clean or repair electronics, medicinal white spirit is clean of impurities and perfectly fine for use with electronics.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    I suppose that depends on where you get the petrol from but I stand by my above advice and i personally would never consider using bog standard petrol to clean or repair electronics, medicinal white spirit is clean of impurities and perfectly fine for use with electronics.
    so is Isopropyl which is what i used to use on the logic boards but that could never shift oxidization it simply wasnt strong enough ,sometimes they would fire back up sometimes they woudnt, then i spoke to a friend of mine about it he said "try this", 1st thing i said "are you nuts?" so i did and blow me 99% of the boards work 1st time after a 5 min clean with petrol
    Last edited by drx360; 02-06-13 at 09:21.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    as i said i suppose it depends on where you get the petrol from in the first place. and as i first posted i used to use a sonic bath to remove residue etc. you just have to put some petrol in a glass bottle to see the filth floating around in there hence why your car if it's a petrol has a filter otherwise it would be dead in a matter of weeks.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    i do drop the boards in a bath of iso afterwards i did forget to mention that, but i always clean 1st with petrol and have a way higher success rate in bringing them back to life each to there own i guess, but it 100% works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast