Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disc installation/initialisation illustrated tutorial v2

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher View Post
    Well wen i got my duo i opened it up and before switchin it on connected up hdd then flashed vix image amd then initialized hdd and that was it all set up and running. Some have had to flash original image in order to get hdd initialized and then flash their desired image. But its upto u mate
    Sure I'll give that a bash so - I got a Samsung HD103SJ SpinPoint F3 1TB 7200RPM SATA II 3GB/s 32MB earlier and people in the other thread have said that it works ok in the Duo.

Thx

Title
    Thanks
    I just read through your tutorial fantastic work, am currently running VIX 2.3 would I have re flash it back to its original firmware or could I just install the hard drive it would work. If i have to re-Flash where could I get the original firmware from ?

Thank you

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy-bob View Post
    I just read through your tutorial fantastic work, am currently running VIX 2.3 would I have re flash it back to its original firmware or could I just install the hard drive it would work. If i have to re-Flash where could I get the original firmware from ?

Thank you
    Ah - yeah! I got the PM, but then something came up - sorry.
    The thing is, I've never seen any need to use any image other than the one loaded on my Duo when I got it, and that is openPLi, so I can't answer first hand. I do know that there is an archive of original images for download on this site somewhere though, if that helps at all.

Maybe someone who has initialised discs using VIX can comment more usefully.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to xarqi For This Useful Post:

Billy-bob (12-01-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for this tutorial, must be one of the best written and illustrated i have seen.

Title
    Thanks
    hi, i am trying to install seagate internal sta hdd in vu+duo with BH 1.7.1 image and post 1 tut i follow till step4 and get this errer

unable to complete filestem check.
    error:fsck failed

any help please

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sunlight786 View Post
    hi, i am trying to install seagate internal sta hdd in vu+duo with BH 1.7.1 image and post 1 tut i follow till step4 and get this errer

unable to complete filestem check.
    error:fsck failed

any help please
    Sunlight

In BH, press Blue button, Blue button which takes you to Blackhole E2 Settings. Scroll down to Device Manager and select that. You should see your HDD listed there. Highlight it and press Yellow to format it. When finished, press Red for Mountpoints. Highlight your device and press Right Arrow until you see /media/hdd then press Red to save.

Worth doing a proper shutdown from here - Long Power Button press and Shutdown.

When you restart, go back into Device Manager again and see that your drive is still listed correctly with the /media/hdd Mountpoint.

That's it - job done. No need to initialise or Filesystem Check.

Report back and let us know how it goes.

Cheers, Mark

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clabs For This Useful Post:

sunlight786 (29-01-12),xarqi (29-01-12)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Double post - disregard.
    Last edited by Clabs; 28-01-12 at 20:48.

Title
    Thanks
    This was brill....Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you! I have just done it. So easy, thank you again!

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you very much, couldnt figure out how to screw my drive in, your guide is truly excellent and made it child play ....finally can record...oh happy days

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Folks, a quick question, and hopefully someone will have a quick answer for me....

Im setting up a new vu duo for a mate. He has given me over an old 250gb hard drive from a pc. Ive just opened the duo and noticed that the power and connector cable (which is the red lead inside?) do not fit the hard drive.

I installed an internal hard drive at my own house years ago, but i cant get at it now to as it is in built in a display cabinet, so i cant have a look inside it. I could be wrong, but i think i used a similar 3.5 hdd in my own.
    al
    So my question is, can i buy a connector to use with this hard drive? it has a 4 pin power adapter, then a 4 pin section with a jumper, and a large serial port.

Its a seagate 250gb and at the bottom it refers to connection with an Ultra ATA cable if this helps - i can also upload a photo if that makes it easier too

Thanks in advance

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    The box is SATA and your HDD is ide so will need a convertor for it

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    My word Ive just joined so informative wow thank you

Title
    Thanks
    Perfect

Thanx

Title
    Thanks
    Hi there, just read the entire thread and still wasnt 100% so apologies for possibly a stupid question. I am eagerly awaiting the Duo today, comes pre built with VIX, i have a few hard drives floating about but im pretty sure they have data on them and are in NTFS. I dont mind losing the data but my question was prior to installing it into the DUO do i need to format it with FAT32 and then shove it in or is the initialisation process on the DUO formatting it to its own prop format so no need for me to do anything?

Second question i also have some samsung EVO SSD drives and some iceydocks, is there any advantage of putting an SSD in there as opposed to a normal drive? if so ill whack that in...

Great tutorial by the way!
    Last edited by deemi786; 17-12-13 at 14:24. Reason: adding thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast