Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Vu+Duo repair guide

Title
    Thanks
    I might have sorted the issue out, i had a dualband router directly over the box not sitting on it but pretty close, (which as I think about it I might have put there around the same time I flashed the image after a few months of not updating) I moved it this evening, only 1/2 meter to the side and hey presto the gui is working 10 times better, not getting any freezes, where as before it would freeze while just watching a program, I can now traverse the menu and play recordings without an issue , I might be a bit premature in saying it has sorted the problem but fingers Xed is it possible the wifi was/is effecting it?
    Last edited by dotts; 15-01-14 at 01:00.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dotts View Post
    is it possible the wifi was/is effecting it?
    Doubtful, Routers kick out a lot of heat, it is more likely that your receiver was overheating because the router was too close, also as the receiver has built in safety measures it will shut down when it gets too hot.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    Doubtful, Routers kick out a lot of heat, it is more likely that your receiver was overheating because the router was too close, also as the receiver has built in safety measures it will shut down when it gets too hot.

I'd say your right, even though I was conscious of this when I put It there, and checked the top of the box regularly and it didn't seem that hot, but wasn't cool either, which it is now. Anyway it seem to be working perfectly now. Hopefully I haven't caused any long term damage.

Title
    Thanks
    hello and many thanks for this topic.
    my receiver went dead after some days of restarting suddenly, strange was that just before it has restarted i could not get any reaction from receiver. after stopping the receiver it did not start anymore. I had changed the capacitor and now everything seams OK.
    Thank you again for the tutorial

Title
    Thanks
    Ty it worked for me TY TY

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you very much! I replaced the capacitor with a 330mfd 35v and my VU+ duo is working again.
    This saves me a lot of money!

thx again!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    just to add to this i found this elsewhere and if alright with mods will add ebay link later.

having had this myself and got box repaired by a tv expert i now see this available from ebay.

I have for sale a repair kit for the original Vu+Duo & maybe the Vu+Duo 2 (but please check if motherboards are the same). The kits consists of a Capacitor and a Regulator,

If you have a redlight on the duo it is normally caused by the Capacitor (C807) drying up but it can also blow the regulator (U801).
    I had these both go on mine. Sometimes you can get away with just changing the capacitor the 1st time you get the redlight but if you continue
    switching the machine off you can then blow the regulator like i did.

The original capacitor value is 220uf and i changed it to 330uf and a higher voltage.
    The regulators you cant buy in this country and you have to bulk buy.
    This regulator is the original and works very well as i had this go on my receiver.

There are 3 regulators and 3 capacitors the same and i changed all mine but is not necessary do to this
    and only change the ones i have stated.

The kits for sale consist of 1 x 330uf Capacitor and 1 x Regulator, But if you feel like changing all
    regulators (U801,U802,U805) and Capacitors (C807,C814,C815) then i can sell you them to you.

Please check my other listing on Vu+Duo if you want to buy the IC only

Multiple buys i will discount if you decide to change all 3 ie 3 x capacicitor, 3 x regulators for £25 saving you £11

Please Note:-
    Please have this repair carried out by a qualified repair man as I will not be held responsible for damage to you Vu+Duo , unless you are capable of doing yourself.Name: duo regulator.JPG Views: 9 Size: 716 BytesName: duo cap.JPG Views: 9 Size: 764 Bytes

duo cap.JPGduo regulator.JPG

not my add just a listing

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Code:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vu-Duo-Red-Light-/271411349084?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item3f3160865c
    this is the listing for the post above for red light fix on the duo.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

Hoss696 (11-05-14)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    All.
    My brother has my old DUO and txtd me that the red light does be on some mornings when they switch on the box and can take an hour to come on.
    Other times it comes on first thing.
    Is this the first signs of this issue. It sounds like it anyway...
    Should I replace the parts recommended here ?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dfdream View Post
    All.
    My brother has my old DUO and txtd me that the red light does be on some mornings when they switch on the box and can take an hour to come on.
    Other times it comes on first thing.
    Is this the first signs of this issue. It sounds like it anyway...
    Should I replace the parts recommended here ?
    yes thats a definite sign things are not rite, i would tell him to leave the unit powered off to prevent further damage occurring.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I replaced the capacitor for him and it boots up first time all the time... Result..
    One question.
    Whats the advice to avoid this happening again.
    Some say its caused by turning on and off with power switch.
    If so what is the recommended process to turn off a DUO at night (not deep standby).

Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    yes thats a definite sign things are not rite, i would tell him to leave the unit powered off to prevent further damage occurring.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    To my knowledge, its due to overheating, which dries out the caps.

SIMPLES.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    The issue seems to be frequency related. Adding a small ceramic capacitor (parallel to the normal one) seems to enhance life expectancy very much.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

Larry-G (01-04-14)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dfdream View Post
    I replaced the capacitor for him and it boots up first time all the time... Result..
    One question.
    Whats the advice to avoid this happening again.
    Some say its caused by turning on and off with power switch.
    If so what is the recommended process to turn off a DUO at night (not deep standby).
    The original capacitor was rated at 85 centigrade, and I changed mine to 105c. Also make sure there is adequate ventilation, especially if you use the HD quite a lot.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks from me to!! I put in a 330uf 50volt cap and all is well

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast