Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Vu+Duo repair guide

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Brought from china while ago ,but never used it its v2 box but now i need it to work.
    Please re-read the site rules.
    Last edited by judge; 17-12-13 at 14:38.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

Larry-G (02-01-14)

Title
    Thanks
    I have no red light, nothing at all when I turn the switch on at the back. Any ideas?

Title
    Thanks
    check power fuse
    Vu+ Duo --- Vix Apollo --- Magic HD Night Skin

Title
    Thanks
    Hi, my vu+ duo won't start only showing redlight at the upper right corner . Took it to the service center they told my I have to replace the motherboard which is very expensive . So I decided to buy a new vu + solo 2 instead.
    After reading this forum I want to give it a try and fix my vu duo , it has all the symptoms listed above so I think it might be a capacitor thing but I have no experience with soldering .
    How do I get sure that capacitor c807 is the faulty one ? It doesn't look like leaking or damaged?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    It may not display any physical signs but it's still worth a try to replace it as the capacitor is only a few pence and 20 minutes to replace at most. after all the box in it's current state is fir for nothing but the bin so you may as well give it a go.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    Easy way to check if it's capacitors. Remove the top, get your hair dryer and heat it up. Then see if it comes on.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TK4|2|1 View Post
    Easy way to check if it's capacitors. Remove the top, get your hair dryer and heat it up. Then see if it comes on.
    Never heard of this to check an electrolytic cap....! I'm an electronic engineer and can tell you this will not check anything, apart from tell you if the solder joint is suspect which i doubt.

Only way to check cap is with a capacitance meter which places a small load into cap to check its function

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garyblas View Post
    Never heard of this to check an electrolytic cap....! I'm an electronic engineer and can tell you this will not check anything, apart from tell you if the solder joint is suspect which i doubt.

Only way to check cap is with a capacitance meter which places a small load into cap to check its function
    20 years repairing TV's I tell ya it will

Sent by pressing buttons.

Title
    Thanks
    20 years repairing TV's I tell ya it will

Sorry mate but as i said before this will only detect faulty joints... Take it from me

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garyblas View Post
    Sorry mate but as i said before this will only detect faulty joints... Take it from me
    Whatever.

Title
    Thanks
    You are right, mate !!
    Here is my story on the DUO:
    - redlight issue, did not boot anymore
    - replaced C807 ( the famous one ) + the regulator U801
    - boots again, but have severe problems on HD-channels, not locking
    - after a while HD working, except the critical ones ( 8PSK here in Netherlands )
    - I discovered that if the box is heated, everything works....
    - removing cover, heated extra with hair-dryer and the SNR goes from 68 to 72%
    - used freeze spray to identify another faulty capacitor : C848 !!
    - will let you know the result after swapping this capcitor

Title
    Thanks

Dead Vu+Duo repair guide

Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    You are right, mate !!
    Here is my story on the DUO:
    - redlight issue, did not boot anymore
    - replaced C807 ( the famous one ) + the regulator U801
    - boots again, but have severe problems on HD-channels, not locking
    - after a while HD working, except the critical ones ( 8PSK here in Netherlands )
    - I discovered that if the box is heated, everything works....
    - removing cover, heated extra with hair-dryer and the SNR goes from 68 to 72%
    - used freeze spray to identify another faulty capacitor : C848 !!
    - will let you know the result after swapping this capcitor
    I'm always right.
    That is exactly the method we use to identify faulty capacitors in TV's, heat the buggers up, then freeze them.

Title
    Thanks
    great results after replacing C848: SNR now increased to all time high values ( for me ) and HD-channels very stable !!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to addicted For This Useful Post:

pika (26-07-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Should I replace the cap????

Over the last few months im having freezing problems with my vuduo (not clone) i have it about 3 years, never gave any trouble until a few months back when i updated the image after about 6months, this might be just a coincidence but ever since its been freezing i.e spinning vix, when changing channels, moving through the menu etc and recently rebooting itself every hour or so its almost unusable at the moment. I have reflashed the box several times and set it up again from scratch but get the spinning vix within minutes. I tried enabling a swap file, have only essential plugins installed and have cacheflush installed, but still it freezes every minute, it also reboots every now and then, and interrupts recordings, the wife is on my case bigtime about it now, need to sort something out soon. I also flashed a blackhole image and old kernel version of vix but neither helped the issue. any advice wold be great?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dotts View Post
    Should I replace the cap????

Over the last few months im having freezing problems with my vuduo (not clone) i have it about 3 years, never gave any trouble until a few months back when i updated the image after about 6months, this might be just a coincidence but ever since its been freezing i.e spinning vix, when changing channels, moving through the menu etc and recently rebooting itself every hour or so its almost unusable at the moment. I have reflashed the box several times and set it up again from scratch but get the spinning vix within minutes. I tried enabling a swap file, have only essential plugins installed and have cacheflush installed, but still it freezes every minute, it also reboots every now and then, and interrupts recordings, the wife is on my case bigtime about it now, need to sort something out soon. I also flashed a blackhole image and old kernel version of vix but neither helped the issue. any advice wold be great?
    In future it is wise to make a backup of a stable image, so if there is problems. You can go back to it, to discount that. I think if you have the know how it would be wise to change this capacitor, especially if you record a lot, or the room is very warm.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alec For This Useful Post:

dotts (13-01-14),johnspeedster (27-08-14)

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast