Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Redlight of Death Repair

Title
    Thanks

Redlight of Death Repair

A couple of nights ago while using the Media Portal Plug-in my Vu+duo froze. My usual course would be to do a hard reset (power off wait 10sec power on) What I was faced with was what now appears to have become know as the "Red Light of Death".......

The repair and what you will need: REMEMBER TO EARTH YOURSELF

1: 25 watt soldering iron.
    2: Good quality 60/40 silver solder, eutectic solder 63/37 in an ideal world (do not use plumbers solder eg wickes)
    3: Philips screwdriver
    4: Cotton Buds... the wife does have her uses.
    5: PCB Cleaner not necessary but I am a tad anal.
    6: Tin Snips
    7: The replacement Electrolytic Capacitor 200uF 16v (Maplins Part# (VH41U) £0.49p.

I stripped down my Duo and took the importunity to give it a good clean, especially the fan and now it's almost silent. This RX could be getting on for 3yrs old now and it get heavy/daily use.

One thing I did find, I initially started out using my 15watt iron to remove the old cap, couldn't generate enough heat to melt the old solder, be warned, this is not an environment for blow torches. Take your time and if you don't feel confident in doing the repair use those who have offered their services. I ended up needing to use my 25watt iron to remove the old cap but switched to my 15watt iron to resolder the new one. This leads me to believe the original PCB manufacturer used pretty hard solder (too much tin) in making their boards. 15watt should be sufficient for 99% of electronic soldering.

After you've desoldered the old cap use a cotton bud + pcb cleaner to remove any old flux, crap etc.

On to soldering the new cap in, Tip: do not cut off the legs at this stage. Make sure you get the polarity correct. depending where you source your capacitor from you will see from the attached photos that they are well marked. The have a coloured band running vertically denoting the - (negative) side. This faces the front as you look a the RX (display being the front). I removed the motherboard to do the work as in the long run you'll do a better job and it makes things a whole lot easier.

Once you've soldered the new cap in, snip the unwanted legs off and give the area a quick clean. Job done bar putting the whole thing back together. Tip: take some piccies this will help to remember how the thing came apart (what plugs in where/which way round)

Hope this guide helps.

Regards
    Peter

_DSF7740.jpg_DSF7750.jpg_DSF7756.jpg
    Vu+Solo2
    Vu+Duo motorised - 1.2mtr dishes - tho 1 fixed on 28.2 - the other 'the universe'
    DB 800
    DB 600
    been playing with sat since the 8 button Amstrad
    load of outdated junk sitting in the garage

2. The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to bluepeter For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

cervot (27-02-13),Clabs (17-07-13),clippert (10-12-16),Donnie (27-02-13),DrProzac (21-07-13),f4f (27-02-13),Foxylady (22-08-13),fs1 (09-02-14),godsell51 (01-09-15),guffe2005 (14-01-14),john25 (19-09-16),johnrichard (23-01-16),judge (27-02-13),Larry-G (27-02-13),malaman69 (06-06-17),manicscrewdriver (27-02-13),Mart (26-04-13),mauri (02-09-13),Pat Hart (26-02-14),paul362 (28-02-13),satcat (27-02-13),satmanbasil (28-02-13),Sicilian (27-02-13),skratch (03-10-14),spacemonkey (08-09-13),stevesom (28-02-13),tinbin300 (21-08-14),Trickie16 (20-09-13),vangeli (28-04-13),vu-duo-user (18-01-14)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Much appreciated, Thread stickied.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

s31teg (28-02-13)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Thank you for the guide, but just so members understand, replacing this capacitor will NOT fix all red light issues. I tried at least 3 units that are still stuck on red light. Sometimes its the front panel circuit board thats at fault, even with no video output. Sometimes its capacitor and front panel circuit board.

So anyone attempting this, please understand this fix is 50/50 and you could be wasting your time, but always worth a try.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    I also find this words on internet:
    "In the update_DUO.zip you will find everything what you need.In the folder "DUOBOOT" there is the software "UpdateAllFlash.exe and duoboot.bin " which you can use it in case that you got a RED Light or you want to start from scratch ."
    Can this also be the isue?

Title
    V.I.P Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pege63 View Post
    I also find this words on internet:
    "In the update_DUO.zip you will find everything what you need.In the folder "DUOBOOT" there is the software "UpdateAllFlash.exe and duoboot.bin " which you can use it in case that you got a RED Light or you want to start from scratch ."
    Can this also be the isue?
    Why not upload it ?
    Vu Duo 4K - Vu + Solo4K - Vu + Uno4K - Vu+Uno - Vu+Ultimo4K - Vu+ Zero - Vu+Solo-SE (In Black Evo ) - PrismCube

Title
    Thanks
    oh i see wath did you see that? How do i delite this post and file?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by pege63; 03-03-13 at 11:01.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pege63 View Post
    cant upload, look for XXXXXXXXXXXX in google chrome you find it right away
    Thats for clones, do not use on genuine Duo's.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

bobi (06-03-13),Donnie (03-03-13),jth (24-04-19),pege63 (03-03-13)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Hi

Maybe i just got lucky my box had the red light of death but sent it away for repair came back 7 days later all singin and dancin checked in workshop conditions as it had the manufacture vu image test repair installed, have now reinstalled vix and alls well big smile on my face to have this wonderful stb working again.

Title
    Thanks

Redlight of Death Repair

Quote Originally Posted by satmanbasil View Post
    Hi

Maybe i just got lucky my box had the red light of death but sent it away for repair came back 7 days later all singin and dancin checked in workshop conditions as it had the manufacture vu image test repair installed, have now reinstalled vix and alls well big smile on my face to have this wonderful stb working again.
    Where did you send it please ? and cost thx johno

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    hi mate

pm you details

regards

Title
    Thanks

Redlight of Death Repair

Cheers

Johno

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if a 330uf 50v capacitor will work to fix this? I have had the same issue happen to my duo and wanted to give this a go.

Thanks

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks

Redlight of Death Repair

No. You need to stick to the same capacitance 220uf. The voltage isn't a problem, as long as its above the original value.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs.

Title
    Thanks
    A MASSIVE thank you to mod bobonthejob for replacing the cap on my duo today! Cap replaced and the box is working great. All sorted within 30 mins! Bob comes highly recommended to anyone else who is looking to repair their duo suffering from the same issue. Thanks a lot mate!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to supathug For This Useful Post:

bobonthejob (16-04-13)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    No Probs mate... Just FYI for all...

Used a 220uF 16V....

Job done.
    Setup: Vu+ Duo, Orbital 90cm Dish, Technomate TM2600 Motor, Inverto twin LNB

D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite HERE

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast