Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best box for £150 - £200???

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help so far guys. I'm learning a lot.

Title
    Thanks
    This forum doesn't support clones in any way shape or form but any dm500s you get will be a clone box.
    I see the sponsor has tm500 and tm600 boxes http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/...inux-Receivers I havn't a clue what they are like though.
    My stepsons dm500s is over 4 years old and still going strong.

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Another reason for an E2 receiver..

If your old CRT decides to give up the ghost in the near future.. and you buy a nice new lcd / plasma..

Wouldnt it be great to be watching in full HD quality.. rather than a cheap piece of Chinese crap.. ??

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mister View Post
    Another reason for an E2 receiver..

If your old CRT decides to give up the ghost in the near future.. and you buy a nice new lcd / plasma..

Wouldnt it be great to be watching in full HD quality.. rather than a cheap piece of Chinese crap.. ??
    Very true and sod's law it would happen! You have jinxed me now!

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    you could buy a max digital for £149 and with the sponsors discount get it for £144.

it's a E2 receiver supported by ViX and a few others, you can still get all the advanced features of any other ViX supported box such as autobouquetsmaker and the full 7 day EPG and still use it via scart without breaking the bank.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/...llite-Receiver
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Got a Gigablue hd800 se from here for £149 and been blown away with it. Has many plugins for extra features too.

Title
    Thanks
    The dm500s does 5 day epg with the commando image, It was also the 1st image to have an autobouquet make though I have never used it myself, recording is a doddle over a network to my server.
    The only stopper is the fact that you can only get clones.
    I would buy a cheap box and put the rest of the money towards a hd tv then buy an all singing all dancing stb after you have a tv that can use it's functions.
    Last edited by scruff1963; 16-01-13 at 23:13.

Title
    Thanks
    Yeah I saw the Maxdigital at £149 and thought that looked good value but then thought would I get something better (Gigablue 800 UE/Technosonic) for not much more? I've seen a couple of these which have been recommended at £169.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish1479 View Post
    Got a Gigablue hd800 se from here for £149 and been blown away with it. Has many plugins for extra features too.
    yep thats another very nice budget E2 receiver that has some nice features and is fully supported by ViX.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    There's just too much choice for a mere newbie like me!

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Just don't buy one of those Amiko Alien 2 boxes. Biggest pile of sh*t I ever wasted £150 on.

I had two, an Alien 2 which lasted about six weeks before breaking and an Alien SHD-8900 which failed after 3 months. They really are crappy boxes.

If it were me i'd buy another Gigablue. Unfortunately i don't think the 800 Solo is available anymore, although the 800Se and 800Ue are great boxes. I only picked the 800 solo as it had a 400Mhz CPU over the 333Mhz CPU the Se had. Best £169 i ever spent. I had it shortly after it was released. Back then it was a bit iffy due to poor support, but now the support is fantastic for it.

As for using them on a CRT its not the best, but it will work brilliantly. I sometimes use my Gigablue on the old 36" JVC CRT in the back room and it works fine, and it displays the HD channels perfectly. They are clearer than the SD channels, but not as good if it were put on a Plasma or LCD TV of the same size.

Its also worth remembering that the old DM500s can't do DVB-S2, so even if its not connected to a LCD tv its still an improvement over the DM500s as you can watch the stuff that a DM500 wouldn't even see.

Nano
    Last edited by manicscrewdriver; 16-01-13 at 23:50.
    Xtrend ET9500, 1m Gilbertini, 75cm Visiosat BISAT G3a triple lnb dish, EMP Centauri IRS system, Formuler F3, Venton Unibox Eco+, nBox 5800s, TechniSat SkyStar 2 eXpress HD PCI-e card

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manicscrewdriver For This Useful Post:

Larry-G (16-01-13),rob1979 (17-01-13)

Title
    Thanks
    I'm swaying towards a Gigablue HD 800 UE. I like the little LCD screen on the front of it as well. Do you think this is the best I will get for my £169? Or would Technomate TM Single be better? Still confused!

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    I don't know if its been mentioned but worth considering this as well

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanman View Post
    I don't know if its been mentioned but worth considering this as well

Yeah it has. Is this well rated? Was wondering about this one or spending a bit more on the ones I have mentioned above?

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Both boxes have VIX image and either one is a decent box that will do the job for you.

At those price points, its not going to be a humangus difference between them that you will see in day to day use.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

rob1979 (17-01-13)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12