Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: HD 101: Overscan and why all TVs do it

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts

HD 101: Overscan and why all TVs do it

By Ben Drawbaugh posted May 27th 2010 2:43PM

The concept of overscan seems particularly difficult for geeks to comprehend -- normal people usually don't care to even understand it -- and some even get down right confrontational when they first learn that all TVs do it. But the fact is that even the latest LCDs and plasmas don't show all 2 million pixels of a 1080p signal out of the box. Instead about 3 percent of 'em are cropped off the edges (as illustrated by the red line in the image above) and the remaining pixels are scaled to fill in all the pixels of your HDTV. The real kick in the head is that the reason isn't a good one, especially when you consider the advanced technology that's available today. So in this HD 101 we're going to cover what overscan is, why it's there, and finally how to "fix" it.

A test pattern with overscan markers on the four edges.

The easiest way to wrap your head around overscan is to forget about the word for a second and think of cropping an image. If you take a picture and cut off an inch from each edge and blow it up to the original size, then you'd effectively be overscanning. The term comes from the days of CRTs when the scan lines that drew the image literally scanned over the edge of the viewable part of the tube -- PC users were all too familiar with the small print that a 21-inch CRT PC display proclaiming that it was actually 20-inch viewable. The problem with CRTs was that a limitation of the technology was its inability to accurately reproduce images along the edges of the tube. So instead the image was overscanned which resulted in some loss of picture but maintained quality for the center of the image -- the part that matters most.

So if CRTs are dead then why do we still have overscan? This is where the bad news comes in, but the short answer is because it used to be there. The source of the problem is that broadcasters expect the TV to crop the image so they don't mind putting garbage on the edge -- like a misc yellow line on the left or black and white dots show in the images below.

Notice the zoomed part contains white and black dots that are used for the 1st and 10 marker.

Sometimes this garbage serves a purpose. Like in the image above or an analog broadcasts that's converted to digital. Since analog doesn't have a way to send metadata, like rating and closed captions, the data is encoded in the vertical blanking interval and shows up as flashing pixels when the signal is converted to digital and displayed without overscan.

In this zoomed section you can see a faint yellow line on the left hand side. Luckily NBC finally fixed this particular problem.

It isn't just broadcasters who are to blame, the TV manufactures play their part too. You see because some broadcasters don't ensure a clean picture on the edge, the TV manufactures err on the side of caution and crop it just in case. They know that a yellow line on the left side of a brand new HDTV is a great way to get a return. On top of that, talking heads on an HDTV with overscan appear larger, so consumers see this and think, "oh that TV looks better to me." It's really crazy to think that consumers would rather see a zoomed, fuzzy image than a yellow line on the edge, but that's most people for ya.

These are the same screen shot, one is presented with overscan, one isn't. See how much bigger McCain's head is?

It's not all bad

In a perfect world broadcasters would mind their signal and ensure every pixel was worth watching, then TV manufacturers wouldn't feel the need for overscan -- or at least we hope. In the meantime we're just happy that most TVs have a way to turn it off. When an image is displayed properly, it's sometimes referred as 1:1 pixel mapping. This simply means that every pixel in the signal is displayed by a single pixel on the display. Of course each manufacture has its own name for this mode; like Samsung who sometimes calls it Screen Fit, and Pioneer called it Dot by Dot. No matter what it's called, it's rarely on by default -- even when watching 1080p24 from Blu-ray which never has garbage on the edges! -- so you'll have to find the button on the remote called something like format or P.size, depending on the brand. Your best bet is to read the manual -- shocker.

But even if you don't ever find the button or just like it on, modern video processors aren't half bad at scaling the image. Sure it'll never be as good displaying it properly, but to some the occasional garbage on the edge is far worse then the lack of detail -- which they're less likely to notice. But, there are some HDTVs that don't let you turn it off, which is really lame. Some sources like Vudu and HTPCs will let you adjust the overscan at the source, but this only solves half the problem, as seeing the edges of the image is better than nothing, but the image is still being scaled twice.

Vudu overscan adjustment that is on by default.

nVidia overscan and centering adjustment.

Another issue we've seen, although less frequently, is where the HDTV will display the image without overscan, but it still shifts by a line or two and scales the image -- although we admit that we only learned of this by running the Pixel Phase test on Digital Video Essentials HD Basic calibration disc. This is the type of thing that most will never know and unless you test it with a pattern or read it in a review, you'll never be the wiser.

Ultimately overscan is really just one of those things that videophiles obsess about while most are content not knowing. And while we believe ignorance can be bliss when it comes to watching HD, we hope you at least appreciate the historical perspective, and with a little awareness maybe one day at least Blu-ray Discs won't be played back with overscan -- we can hope.

Code:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/27/hd-101-overscan-and-why-all-tvs-do-it/
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Chills (25-11-12),Godanapo (26-12-12),judge (04-11-12),KristianM (06-11-12),Maxwell (04-11-12),scruff1963 (04-11-12)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    And to check the amount of overscan your TV is set to, you can display the attached pictures. They tell you exact how bad (or good) your telly is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

twol (11-07-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    And to check the amount of overscan your TV is set to, you can display the attached pictures. They tell you exact how bad (or good) your telly is.
    Rob, How do i display this image on my tv to check overscan
    Vu+ Duo --- Vix Apollo --- Magic HD Night Skin

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garyblas View Post
    Rob, How do i display this image on my tv to check overscan
    Double click on the images then right click and save as. Then Either load it to your Movie folder on the receiver and view it via the media player or if the TV it self has a USB port load it to a USB stick / HDD and play it via the TV's own media player.

I have included some more test cards in the archive uploaded o this post for you to try.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Jawid (11-07-13),twol (11-07-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Done thanks... I have 0% overscan.. Brilliant
    Vu+ Duo --- Vix Apollo --- Magic HD Night Skin

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garyblas View Post
    Done thanks... I have 0% overscan.. Brilliant
    excellent, so your OSD menus from a standard install of the ViX image wont need adjusting, Those who do have overscan activated however will need to either turn it off or adjust their OSD settings.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks

Re: HD 101: Overscan and why all TVs do it

Bit of a between rock and a hard place problem then?

Either choose overscan and have not proper display of hd channels etc
    Or turn off overscan and get crap around edges for sd channels at least?

Would it be possible for a setting that turns on pseudo overscan on enigma box sd channels, or at least channels that need it?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boyofford View Post
    Either choose overscan and have not proper display of hd channels etc
    This is only the case on a limited amount of channels. And not only SD-channels......
    Best would be to complain at the source (i.e. the provider of those channels).

Would it be possible for a setting that turns on pseudo overscan on enigma box sd channels, or at least channels that need it?
    That would be a question to ask the TV-manufacturers.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks

Re: HD 101: Overscan and why all TVs do it

Got overscan switched on and just going to see how get on with it.
    To be fair most common channels I watch are ok.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    what kind of crap? Do you have a photo?

Have you set OSD position to max values (0, 720, 0, 576)?

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard