Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Win xp pro cloned drive will not boot - really need help on this asap

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    What make? As dell have a limit of 130gb I believe

Sent from my iThing, using sorcery and the magic interweb.

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    laptop is HP and so was the original, it does handle the drive size as its own proper drive is also 160gb and that boots fine.
    Cloned drive is Samsung HM160HC
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information here on my posts are hypothetical in nature, out of curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Use of the collective descriptions and knowledge from any of my posts are at YOUR discretion
    I am not responsible for what you do with it

Want to know about cardsharing see Here

Want clone support see Here

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

If you have had a problem that you started a thread about and found your own solution please post back to let everyone know how you solved it

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Do you have the original hdd to be able to take another clone from? maybe try using acronis true image (think that's the right name), take a backup and then try doing a universal restore. This will try to restore the image and ignore all driver options. Although you may need the drivers for new laptop to install to it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    nope cant do that original hdd died a long time ago but thought I would be fine as I had an image DOH !!
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information here on my posts are hypothetical in nature, out of curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Use of the collective descriptions and knowledge from any of my posts are at YOUR discretion

If you have had a problem that you started a thread about and found your own solution please post back to let everyone know how you solved it

Title
    Thanks
    Not that Im any expert with making then later installing hd clone copies etc but have done this for some years now and hav'nt had any probs because ive always re-copied to the same computer (ie to the same hardware setup). As far a I know, winxp will once in a while connect to microsoft and check its present hardware configuration against whats recorded on their server so if somthing major has been changed (eg the processor) windows xp will say to itself "I've been copied to another computer, so am no longer original" and either wont run or returns a warning that it will shut down until you reactivate with a new key. If you dont have a new key, one has to be bought from microsoft.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Conaxthewarrior For This Useful Post:

Maxwell (12-08-12)

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    Is this the first time you have tried the cloned image? We have any idea if it's good or not.
    Also when windows detects changes like in previous post it will tell you, not hang on a black screen.

Last edited by TK4|2|1; 12-08-12 at 12:30.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TK4|2|1 For This Useful Post:

Maxwell (12-08-12)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    no not the first time I have tried but all the data is there inc boot.ini, ntldr, ntdetect etc.
    I have manually opened Boot.ini and ntldr in an editor and can see nothing wrong as afr as I can tell.
    I am now in the process taking an image of laptops current working drive that I am going to restore to the new Samsung drive and see if it boots, I am beginning to suspect that it maybe the new drive firmware or something so if this doesnt work it proves its the new drive in which case I will try restoring the image I really need to the older working drive and see what happens.

And yes you are right if it detects hardware changes its normally reported on screen
    D I S C L A I M E R

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Assumed you'd already tried this, but posting in case not (and me being too presumptuous)... But, have you tried pressing F8 key to see if it gives you any options to boot up the hdd? Like safe mode, last known good config etc. also, have you tried booting up with win xp cd, and doing a restore install? Where it keeps all info, but gets it back working? Also, have you tried reinstalling to another laptop or pc?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Rules can be found HERE
    -----

Title
    Thanks
    I got a feeling it's because the machine you took the image off is too different from the machine you're putting it on.
    Would be nice if you had the original machine to test it on.
    Not just hardware different but software different, bios etc.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    no not the first time I have tried but all the data is there inc boot.ini, ntldr, ntdetect etc.
    I have manually opened Boot.ini and ntldr in an editor and can see nothing wrong as afr as I can tell.
    I am now in the process taking an image of laptops current working drive that I am going to restore to the new Samsung drive and see if it boots, I am beginning to suspect that it maybe the new drive firmware or something so if this doesnt work it proves its the new drive in which case I will try restoring the image I really need to the older working drive and see what happens.

And yes you are right if it detects hardware changes its normally reported on screen
    Can you have both working drive and the old/new drive installed at the same time?. In which case install dual boot ( EasyBCD or Vistaboot Pro) on the working system and then add the old/new drive as a bootable XP system.
    Then see if you can boot from the dual boot system which may overcome some of the difficulties (you need to watch out for the boot drive letters)

At least you should get into loading up the Old XP system even if it crashes later because of incorrrrect hardware drivers.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Is there no chance you can contact the software supplier and just ask them if they can send out a disk for you? What was the software you need called?

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2
    Rules can be found HERE
    -----

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    B&R pc2000 - its Austrian and no longer available according to b&r - still got a couple of things to try though going to edit ntldr manually later to check the hardware changes.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    If still can't get anything back after all of that, then can you try contacting them tomorrow? Surely they will have it archived somewhere...

But, did you try the windows xp repair install? Also, how about using the mobscene usb stick. a lot of tools on there that might help, or hiren boot disk...
    Rules can be found HERE
    -----

Title
    Thanks
    ok my info might be out of date or even incorrect but I have one time had winxp report itself as a non - original copy after I've cloned over. Also a new windows xp cd would only allow a certain number of fresh instalations before new activation keys have to be bought from microsoft - I got this info from microsoft , phoning them for help trying to get my (then) new winxp installation to work after the 5th or so cd installation. I dont mean to say win7 has this installation key limit either.

[QUOTE=TK4|2|1;147789]Is this the first time you have tried the cloned image? We have any idea if it's good or not.
    Also when windows detects changes like in previous post it will tell you, not hang on a black screen.

Title
    Thanks
    Made any progress?

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast