Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Win xp pro cloned drive will not boot - really need help on this asap

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts

Win xp pro cloned drive will not boot - really need help on this asap

If anyone can help me with an issue with a cloned drive I would be grateful, been pulling my remaining hair out for days now.

It wont boot into windows (Win XP Pro) at all just sits there with a flashing cursor top left of screen - I really need this for work related stuff
    disk image was cloned using Spotmau and restored to a new disk by booting spotmau from usb while the hdd is fitted internally to the laptop.
    The laptop is not the original machine the image was taken from as that machine died completely including the original hdd. The laptop is the same make but different model to the original and the HDD is also bigger than the original.
    There are 2 partitions on the drive - the Win XP and a smaller Dos partition that I can boot to if I set it as active (by booting into this, it shows that the BIOS does not have a problem with the disk)

The BIOS sees it in the boot list but from a power off state (if I watch the hdd led) it is accessed during POST but it then does nothing, Win XP partition is primary and active. and if I put it into a usb casing I can access all the data just fine but I cant run certain installed programs that I must have (old software no longer available for PLC programming).

Things I have tried are
    Windows Recovery Console fixboot and fixmbr
    Various MBR utilities from Hirens Boot CD
    Removed all passwords

Any ideas anyone ?
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information here on my posts are hypothetical in nature, out of curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Use of the collective descriptions and knowledge from any of my posts are at YOUR discretion
    I am not responsible for what you do with it

Want to know about cardsharing see Here

Want clone support see Here

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

If you have had a problem that you started a thread about and found your own solution please post back to let everyone know how you solved it

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Long shot, maybe try Gparted live CD and set the XP partition as bootable.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Maxwell (12-08-12)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Do you need the hdd to boot, or do you just need the data from the hdd?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    He needs for it to boot as runs old apps from it.

Maxwell, do you know any one with Win7 PRO as you can emulate XP but iirc its not an option in HP. something to try if anything else works.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

pooface (12-08-12)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pooface View Post
    Do you need the hdd to boot, or do you just need the data from the hdd?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Need it to boot mate so I can run some special PLC programming software, problem is I havent needed it for about 4 years and I have a client with a full production line stopped because of an issue with its PLC (its dumped some of its program) its an obscure make of PLC and the engineering software is no longer available anywhere except it is installed on the HDD I have.
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information here on my posts are hypothetical in nature, out of curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Use of the collective descriptions and knowledge from any of my posts are at YOUR discretion

If you have had a problem that you started a thread about and found your own solution please post back to let everyone know how you solved it

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell For This Useful Post:

pooface (12-08-12)

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    Sorry no help with "cloned" machines

Sorry couldn't resist, will it boot into safe mode?

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TK4|2|1 View Post
    Sorry no help with "cloned" machines

Sorry couldn't resist, will it boot into safe mode?

smartarse

No dont even get that far
    D I S C L A I M E R

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    Are there any other USB devices plugged in. My win7 hangs like you describe if my LaCie HDD is plugged in

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    nope only a usb mouse
    D I S C L A I M E R

Title
    Thanks
    Did a bit of googling, but I'm sure you have too.

FIXBOOT and FIXMBR should pretty much always be run in conjunction with each other, because, when one's broken, Windows doesn't give you enough feedback to tell which one's broken (FIXBOOT fixes the partition boot sector, and FIXMBR fixes the master boot record, if you were wondering). Run FIXBOOT first, then FIXMBR.

If those fail, the next logical point to look at is your boot.ini (which, I *think*, should cause a visible error; shouldn't just be a black screen, although I can't check right now). In the recovery console, you manipulate boot.ini with BOOTCFG (since you don't have a text editor, or the graphical msconfig). 'BOOTCFG /ADD' or 'BOOTCFG /REBUILD' are good starting points here, but these commands are a bit more complicated than FIXBOOT and FIXMBR: see KB291980.

(Note that this is all applicable to Windows XP; Windows Vista and 7 change the boot process considerably and include more automated recovery tools. Post-Vista, the OS can actually usually fix itself (if you do a boot repair in the recovery console).)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TK4|2|1 For This Useful Post:

Maxwell (12-08-12)

Title
    Thanks
    In case for some reason it is the USB mouse, in bios find USB config and set legacy devices to enabled.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TK4|2|1 For This Useful Post:

Maxwell (12-08-12)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    yeah, another thing could be that you have ahci enabled in sata config, which is used for windows 7/vista for data drivers, but on xp you will likely not have the sata drivers loading. So, might be an idea to try setting to legacy rather than ahci if you have that option!?
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pooface For This Useful Post:

Maxwell (12-08-12)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    sorry guys forgot to say in original post its an EIDE (pata) drive and the BIOS is crap old version from 2005 so options are very limited
    D I S C L A I M E R

Title
    Thanks
    What size HDD was old and what size is new?

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    120 and new is 160 - when it is restored it just leaves the spare unallocated I have tried making the spare active as well
    D I S C L A I M E R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast