Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Setting up your external USB HDD with your Solo the easy way!

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by artie View Post
    Rob do you know if I could use a mains powered usb hub.Plug the hdd into hub and then hub into Vu+ solo?
    I've used a mains powered USB hub to support a USB tuner & USB stick on a VU Solo in the past & had no issues.
    Never tried it with a full USB HDD though, I'd give it a try... but as Rob says, using a dedicated powered USB HDD will probably be better.
    Can you get a powered USB enclosure for your USB HDD for a few £ more than a powered USB hub?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    would the smaller pocket sized 250 or 500 be the same non powered on the usb,deffo not using a 1tb external unless it has its own power source

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    would the smaller pocket sized 250 or 500 be the same non powered on the usb,deffo not using a 1tb external unless it has its own power source
    Try them & let us know. It's the only way we can provide advice as not everyone has the same HW to try out...

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    The standard USB-norm is 500mA; there are devices that deliver more then that (1A or even 2A; they are mostly designed to charge tablets etc). If you could find a powered hub doing that I think you'll be fine.
    There also exist special USB-cables, having an extra cable that should go to a second USB-port for the same purpose. That might be an option as well (if you're sure that both ports will be able to deliver the 500mA; sometimes they share internally one 500mA power source (although that is not in compliance with the norm, it does happen)).

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice guys.It's only one of them small Western Digital hdd's 160gb usb powered.Been looking at bigger ones put mains powered are hard to come by and most are now usb 3.0....was trying it out before I went bigger.I'm still new to VU

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    USB 3.0 makes no difference, as they are backwards compatible.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Could you help me out please, trying to mount 120 GB external drive, doesnt have a stand alone power supply which I read is important? Could I go ahead and give it a go,its a Lacie

I just want to use my external USB drive for pause, rewind and recording.

I'm stuck trying to mount by FAT32 120GB external drive to the box for pause rewind etc. Been through tutorial which says to create a empty folder called movie then move this to root /media/usb on the box. At least I think thats what it means However, there is no subfolder called usb, just the media folder, so whacked it in there

When it does mount, based on me just ignoring the usb folder, the FAT 32 is changed to EXT3 so the box can talk to the external drive BUT pause rewind etc is still not working because of a time shift error. Changed this as well, according to another tutorial but still no luck. The box is just looking for hdd (hard disk) when attempting to record and not the external. Can't get it pointed to right location.

HELP?, running Ferrari V2, VIX, mount manager currently reads:

Mount: /media/hdd
    Device: /dev/sda1
    Type: vfat R/W

Title
    Thanks

One last hitch on preparing USB for external drive.

After following all steps I now get error, "The directory /media/USB/movie is not a EXT2, 3, 4 or NFS partition

HELP...?

Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    I've started to see posts with members having problems using their external USB hard drives, so thought I'd put to the test a post a quick guide.

For the purpose of this I'm using a portable 2.5" USB HDD with its own power supply. The HDD is a Hitachi 250GB SATA. It's very important that the external HDD has its own electric power supply.

Guide below: -

1. Connect to a windows PC. Go to control panel > Administrive Tools > Copumter Management > Storage > Disk Managment > Select you USB HDD, right click on it and select 'Delete Volume'. Make sure that its your USB HDD that your deleting!

2. Connect to Solo, power up the HDD then reboot your Solo.

3. Once rebooted press Menu on your remote > Setup > System > Harddisk > Initialization > Click ok on the selected HDD

4. On the next screem press Red Button to initialize and wait for it to complete.

5. Go to your PC, open a command promt and telnet to your Solo. As follows: -

Code:
    Telnet 192.168.1.11 <<<<Use your Solo IP
    Code:
    Username = Root
    Code:
    Password = leave blank, just press enter
    6. Now create a folder in /media/usb for recording. We'll call it movie.

Code:
    mkdir /media/usb/movie
    7. Close the command prompt and go back to your Solo.

8. Press Menu > Setup > System > Recording paths > Highlight Defualt movie location, see below: -

9. Press ok, then you come to a select location screen. You will see the default at the bottom is /hdd/movie. We need to change this. Press menu on your remote and select 'switch to filelist'. Now navigate to /media/usb/movie, do not click ok on movie, just highlight it and press Green button to save the location. You now have something like this: -

10. Do the same for Timeshift location, but just choose /media/usb

Thats it done

Enjoy your recording with your shiney new baby VU+ Solo

Title
    Thanks

Hd recording ok?

What is the make and model of HD external you've got working perfectly ?

Quote Originally Posted by artie View Post
    Just to let everyone know I used the usb powered hdd,just initialised it in settings and it worked straight away without any telnet,hd recording perfect

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by infinite2006 View Post
    What is the make and model of HD external you've got working perfectly ?
    Mine is a Western Digital.....can't really help with the prob you have had as new to it myself.But it worked straight away without doing any of the telnet,I just initialized through the box

Title
    Thanks
    Sicilian, I'm about 3 yrs behind the curve but cant afford a vu duo just now, trying to source an externally powered external hard drive that will work with my solo clone, any pointers would be greatly appreciated, 500Gb should be fine since a lot of contributors have had diffs with a 1Tb drive. cheers,

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567