Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Pay pal e-mail scam warning

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts

Pay pal e-mail scam warning

If you get an e-mail from "PAYPAL" ( with your name in the heading ) be aware thats its very likely a scam, asking you to click on a hypo link, to login and check your usage, they then have your login details

if you get such a mail, contact paypal direct, or send them a copy of the mail to spoof@paypal.com
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to basilyoung For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bazzer (27-02-16),busytech (06-07-15),expatnick (31-01-18),irishchris (02-12-12),john doe (27-02-16),JohnNW (31-08-16),oldtimer (02-06-19),scruff1963 (02-12-12),Sicilian (02-05-12),skratch (05-04-14),TaffyIOM (23-09-17),Toja60 (02-06-19),zebide71 (06-05-15),zl5 (14-05-13)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    To be honest i always ignore any email i get from paypal as 99% of them are scam attempts. especially those saying theres a problem with your account please click on this link yada yada yada.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Chite! I've just orded somthing from Ebay and they wanted me to create a paypal account - luckily I payed using Visa so avoided Paypal altogether.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    had a few of them as pheonix says i just ignore them

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Nothing wrong with paypal.. I have been using it for years.. and using it every day in one way or another..

I get at least a dozen emails every weeks asking me to log into my paypal account using the inserted link..

I never do it.. and just delete or make as spam.. The only way you should log into paypal is via :

Code:
     www.paypal.com
    or your relevent prefix..

If your stupid enough to get ripped off by following instructions in some obscure email .. you deserve all you get.. !!!!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Mister For This Useful Post:

scruff1963 (02-12-12),twol (02-12-12)

Title
    Thanks

Pay pal e-mail scam warning

I use it everyday too.
    Like "Mr Mister" said if your stupid enough to follow a random email then you deserve to be cheated.

I always get "please login to check your statement"

Check the email address too if it's funny lookin then delete it and login via your browser then you should see a notification in your account if the email was genuine.

Title
    Thanks
    Even so,these emails can somtimes catch the reader off guard. Whilst I've never been caught by one , I did have a near miss a few years back. After returning from Adalaide, Aus, I recieved a mail a few days later saying I'd won the aussie lottery and if I'd kindly fill in the supplied form etc etc then I can claim my supposed winnings - the form of course asked for things like bank account no, card no etc but it was crafty in as much it was very long and full of useless diviation questions eg "your previous address", address of bank" and "contact at bank' then suddenly "visa account number " in the middle of all the red herrings. The jist was to work the vicim up to a frenzy by continual reference to the cash won so as to let their guard down (once is enough) and fill in the question, "card pin".
    I never entered any lottery while in aus so knew from the start it was fake but its strange how I got the mail soon after returning home - bet passenger lists were hacked or sold on to who ever , I had to give my email address as standard porceedure when ordering the flight ticket - crafty sods these scammers.
    Last edited by Conaxthewarrior; 02-12-12 at 19:35.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi, I appreciate this kind of reminder. Though I'm not actually entertaining emails from anyone especially if I don't find it legit. Paypal has been popular worldwide but we should not rather ignore this and we should be very careful with our accounts.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Conaxthewarrior View Post
    Chite! I've just orded somthing from Ebay and they wanted me to create a paypal account - luckily I payed using Visa so avoided Paypal altogether.
    Nothing to do with Paypal. You are just as likely to get a similar email pretending to come from your credit card company or bank.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    just create your paypal account on there website trough secure https link.I have a registered paypal account (american website paypal) from many years and gives good international protection on bying ,selling and transfering money.Never answer to mails from paypal because they DO NOT send any.
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

Title
    Thanks
    Fake paypal - service@paypal (dot) com?
    Hey all,

Just wondering, coz I'm not an expert at paypal. I have received an email from service@paypal (dot) com, which looks genunienly like a paypal. It said that one of my buyer from craiglist have paid me, and is just waiting for me to ship them the item. After that I have to email back to contact_.pay@accountant(dot)com to tell them the tracking number, which then I will be able to receive my payment.

Just wondering if this sounds like a fake for you?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yes. Phishing scam.
    Octagon SF8008 4K, VU+Duo 2..
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Thanks
    Scammers dont usually address emails and use the proper name of the victim! Thats usually a big giveaway aswell.