Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: What is a network scan?

Title
    Thanks

What is a network scan?

When scanning for new sats, I have noticed this "network scan" option.

It says "yes / no". What actually is this and should it be set to Yes or No?

Title
    Thanks
    Anyone help me with this one?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    This is a quote from two other posts i came across a while ago explaining what a netwrok scan does and to be honest i could not have worded it better my self.

Basically if the network scan option is ticked the receiver will not only scan the frequency it is set for but will scan every other frequency available for channels. It is effectively scanning for bouquets or networks although of course a network can have more than one bouquet. Once it grabs a network ID it then scans in all the other channels or bouquets on that network. It is useful as it is like a halfway house between a blind scan and a frequency scan.

For example if you want to tune in to the whole Nova package,which is spread over three or four transponders,you type in one of the frequencies,say 10.930 and it will scan all the transponders linked to that network so then you get the whole package first in the list of channels,then it usually carries on scanning the rest of the satellite. I'm not sure it will find all channels on the satellite though,as a blind scan would(and takes longer).

Hope that helps
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

FuManchu (01-02-12),Sicilian (01-02-12),silverfox0786 (01-02-12)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    When scanning a satellite without using the network option, all transponders that are in your satellites.xml are being scanned and all channels found on them are stored in your channellist.

When using the network scan in addition to this the NIT (Network Information Table; contains all the info of a provider) is being read and the channels being advertised in there are stored in your tuner (even if they don't transmit at the time of scanning).

So it's worth giving this a good thought when going to scan. When scanning a satellite containing 'your own' provider I would always set this option to 'yes'; on more exotic satellites you can end up with numerous channels that can't even be received at your place.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

FuManchu (01-02-12),Sicilian (01-02-12)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,924 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Network search is transponders, not channels. So all transponders in satellites.xml are searched, as well as all the transponders in the network table. But the SIDs must exist (active or not) in the searched transponder for a service to be saved in the channel list.

And it is not renecessarily providers either. For example on Astra 2 the network table is identical from all transponders no matter who the broadcaster is, so in that instance it must be overseen by the satellite owner.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Larry-G (03-02-12),Rob van der Does (03-02-12),Sicilian (03-02-12)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Network search is transponders, not channels......
    Thanks for your clarification.
    But although it may be a transponder-scan, the result is nevertheless that channels are found (even if they don't transmit at the time of the search).

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi I'm trying to scan using network scan, without using ABM, as some people have said they are using this method. When I try network scan I get error scanning. Is there somewhere specific that a network scan will look for frequencies or transponders to scan. I'm trying to scan on a Cable network. Not Sat.