Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warning to anyone considering buying a VU+ Clone!

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    The best way currently to identify solo2 clones is to remove the lid and look under the HDD cradle for the security chip ( circled ), which is not present on the original.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Or, if you have any reason to be unsure about what you're buying, buy from a reputable seller.
    http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/...llite-Receiver

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (19-12-13),Larry-G (19-12-13)

Title
    Forum Sponsor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    The best way currently to identify solo2 clones is to remove the lid and look under the HDD cradle for the security chip ( circled ), which is not present on the original.
    Not 100% correct I'm afraid. We have photo's of a clone motherboard that does not have that chip. Board has been forwarded to VU+. This unit was purchased from a group of sellers who at one time sold genuine goods and are now knowingly selling clones as genuine through their online shops and ebay.

Official Sponsor of the OpenViX Team
    Official Distributor of Formuler products, GiGaBlue, Octagon,
    Technomate, Tiviar, VU+, Xtrend and many more...
    Secure online ordering - Paypal and all major cards accepted - Order online 7 days a week!
    PRICE MATCH PROMISE - WE'LL TRY TO MATCH ANY UK PRICE*
    *SEEN ANY PRODUCT CHEAPER? CONTACT US AND WE’LL TRY TO MATCH LIKE FOR LIKE!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to world-of-satellite.co.uk For This Useful Post:

craig37 (19-12-13),Larry-G (19-12-13),Mandanddeb (19-12-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for this thread, and lots of others. Most helpful. I'm looking at buying a solo2 today, I'd really like to purchase from the store here, but sadly it appears the price I've found on XXXXXXX can't be matched.

The seller has given me assurance that the box isn't a clone, will check the vent holes explained above and will also refund if the box turns out to be a clone.

Still a slight gamble for only a saving of X but price is crucial for me. I hope the clients out there haven't improved their boxes to include the air vent holes....I shall update once delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sicilian; 29-12-13 at 10:06. Reason: we have a sponsor here, please respect that.

Title
    Thanks
    In Belgium the box was cheaper in the shop than on internet.Payed 465 euro for VU+ duo2 with twin S2 tuner.And guarenteed an original box with 2 years warrenty..
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    There is actually only one way to be 100% sure the box is genuine: install either the latest Original Image (from VU+) or ViX 3-808 (or any other image having up-to-date drivers). If the box is then up & running you're fine. If not, it's a clone.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks

Warning to anyone considering buying a VU+ Clone!

Thanks, this is definitely the route I will take. Really pleased this feature has been added by Vu+. Out of interest, does anybody know how the test is done?

Last edited by mousedown; 29-12-13 at 10:05.

Title
    Thanks
    "saving of X but price is crucial for me"
    If it is a local supplier it maybe worth it but otherwise I believe it is to much of a gamble to take. Those that sell clones will say anything to get a sell and getting your money back is real stress, all to save a few quid.

Title
    Thanks
    No, it's not local, some seller in London. I could be getting royally stitched up. It really is a gamble, but I want to support fair competition where I can. I feel bad for even talking about competitors, but I really want to believe there are good people still out there, otherwise other sellers could create a monopoly and drive prices up through proper gander.

I've ordered a box from here for another family member, piece of mind where he's concerned The service they offer here really is great, free image install, warranty, paid for HDD install too. Can really recommend a newbie buying here. I'm just trying to cut corners where I can and I can afford be a little more frugal / risky / foolish with my own money. Yes, there's bound to be dodgy sellers out there, but an honest retailer selling at a price below their competitors shouldn't be tarnished with the same brush.

The supplier will send me a photograph of the unit before he dispatches so I can verify its authenticity.

I could of course be proved massively wrong, made to be a fool, go through stress getting my money back, eat a huge portion of humble pie then buy another one here after all!

Only time will tell.... Wish me luck.

Title
    Thanks
    Doesn't matter a jot to me which sellers purport to be selling genuine sat box's, I buy mine here through good advice from DK and since then the I always advise folk to come here. The service is second to none and the after care the same. My garentee was up and I was still able to get support ( didn't need it in the end, but it was there). If ever in the future I plan to purchase, it will be from WOS.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mousedown View Post
    No, it's not local, some seller in London. I could be getting royally stitched up. It really is a gamble, but I want to support fair competition where I can. I feel bad for even talking about competitors, but I really want to believe there are good people still out there, otherwise other sellers could create a monopoly and drive prices up through proper gander.

I've ordered a box from here for another family member, piece of mind where he's concerned The service they offer here really is great, free image install, warranty, paid for HDD install too. Can really recommend a newbie buying here. I'm just trying to cut corners where I can and I can afford be a little more frugal / risky / foolish with my own money. Yes, there's bound to be dodgy sellers out there, but an honest retailer selling at a price below their competitors shouldn't be tarnished with the same brush.

The supplier will send me a photograph of the unit before he dispatches so I can verify its authenticity.

I could of course be proved massively wrong, made to be a fool, go through stress getting my money back, eat a huge portion of humble pie then buy another one here after all!

Only time will tell.... Wish me luck.

Dont be fooled into thinking retailers such as the sponsor are coining it in selling units as they are not, their profit margin is extremely small and you get the peace of mind of a real warranty and full after sales support, but the end decision is yours to make, I sincerely hope you dont come to regret your strive to save a few quid.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

craig37 (03-01-14)

Title
    Thanks
    As I always warn my kids and the hate hearing it.

you get what you pay for.

Title
    Thanks

Warning to anyone considering buying a VU+ Clone!

In this case what I got was a genuine Vu+ Solo2 with 12 months warranty, cheaper than most places & arriving the next day. Definitely pays to shop around. Will look to donate to the forum with some of the money saved.
    Last edited by mousedown; 03-01-14 at 20:06.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mousedown For This Useful Post:

roy0110 (06-01-14)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mousedown View Post
    In this case what I got was a genuine Vu+ Solo2 with 12 months warranty, cheaper than most places & arriving the next day. Definitely pays to shop around. Will look to donate to the forum with some of the money saved.
    i hope you get a price match, here are the conditions:

Price Match Terms:
    Be an exact make and model of the one carried at World-of-Satellite (SDF Trading Ltd).
    Be new (not refurbished or reconditioned) and in its original packaging with all of its accessories.
    Be in stock with the discount price currently advertised.
    Not be a closeout or clearance item.
    We will only price match UK retailers.
    Price matching does not apply to membership clubs or auction sites.
    Price match must include VAT and delivery to a UK Mainland or Northern Ireland address (excludes Highlands of Scotland and UK isles).
    Price-match products are not eligible for special offers or discounts.
    Typographical errors will not be matched.
    Offer limited to a maximum of one price match per item.
    Offer limited to stock on hand.
    All price matching is at the discretion of World-of-Satellite (SDF Trading Ltd) and is subject to change at any time.

Title
    Thanks
    Yeah I Could Of Got A Clone For £200 But Got One Of WOS.co.uk Because Of The Reputation Of Always Supplying Original Boxes And The Ongoing Support... I Did A Lot Of Research Before I Bought It, And Even Bought A DM500 To Testbed... Best Thing I've Ever Bought... We Now Have A 2 Sat/2 Freeview Tuner Server/Recording/Media Library With 2Tb Drive In Every Room In Our House(Via Hardwired Network)... And I'm Gonna Add Another Sat Tuner And 4Gb HDD To It Soon... I Paid £110 More, But I Can Sleep At Night Knowing I've Got The Best Box (Or Was) The Vu+ Duo...

Now You Can Get The Duo For £200 From The Sponsor... Don't Buy A Clone, Especially If You've Got Kids In The House... Cheap Untested Products Can Cause Electrical Fires...

Sly, I Believe In Better!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast