Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: DJ and TV presenter Jimmy Savile dies

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts

DJ and TV presenter Jimmy Savile dies

Grew up watching Jimmy can fix it, sad day.

DJ and TV presenter Jimmy Savile dies, aged 84

A look back at the life of Sir Jimmy Savile

Former DJ, TV presenter and charity fundraiser Sir Jimmy Savile has died, aged 84.
    Savile, who was one of the most famous names on British TV and radio in the 1960s, 70s and 80s, died on Saturday.
    Police said they were called to his home in Leeds, but that there was nothing suspicious about his death.
    His family programme, Jim'll Fix It, drew in huge audiences and the programme received 20,000 letters a week at the height of its popularity.
    A West Yorkshire Police spokesman said officers were called to the house in Roundhay at 12:10 BST.
    Details of how he died were not yet known, but he was recently in hospital with pneumonia.
    Broadcaster Tony Blackburn said Sir Jimmy was embraced by everybody, and was "always just Jimmy Savile".
    "He was just a complete one-off. I think he was a bit of a lonely character as well. In the privacy of his own life I don't think he had very many friends."
    Tony Blackburn: "Jimmy Savile was a complete one-off"

He added: "I've never known anyone quite like him. He was a blunt speaking Northerner, but also kind and very respectful."
    Presenter Dave Lee Travis told Sky News: "We are all going to be worse off without him around."
    Prince Charles has also praised Sir Jimmy in a statement released by Clarence House: "The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall are saddened to hear of Jimmy Savile's death and their thoughts are with his family at this time," it said.
    Savile started out as a dance hall DJ in the 1950s, before making his name as a broadcaster on Radio Luxembourg.
    He was one of the first DJs on BBC Radio 1 and launched Top of the Pops in 1964.
    He also appeared on the music show's final edition in 2006.
    Charity fundraiser His TV persona included chunky gold jewellery, a huge cigar, his trademark snowy white hair and a number of catch-phrases which were frequently parodied by impressionists such as Mike Yarwood.
    Born in Leeds, West Yorkshire, Savile was conscripted as a Bevin Boy, working in the coal mines during the war.
    Away from broadcasting, he was noted for his charity work, running 200 marathons and raising £40m over the years.

Sir Jimmy Savile talks about how he came up with the idea of a disco

He was a volunteer at the hospital and ran more than 200 marathons for various charitable organisations.
    Sir Jimmy raised £20m for the creation of the National Spinal Injuries Centre at Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, in 1983 after a storm damaged wooden huts which had housed spinal cord injury patients.
    A spokeswoman for Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust, which runs the hospital, said Sir Jimmy would be missed by staff and patients, adding: "He was tireless in his attempts to fundraise for the hospital and was integral in the creation of the National Spinal Injuries Centre that we have today."
    Savile was knighted by the Queen in 1990 for his charity work.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    Thats really sad to hear Jimmy spent a lot of his time in a small seaside village near to where i live,ive had the pleasure of chatting with him a few times and he was genuinely a really nice down to earth person,you will be missed around here Jimmy RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanman View Post
    Grew up watching Jimmy can fix it, sad day.

DJ and TV presenter Jimmy Savile dies, aged 8

A look back at the life of Sir Jimmy Savile

Former DJ, TV presenter and charity fundraiser Sir Jimmy Savile has died, aged 84.
    Savile, who was one of the most famous names on British TV and radio in the 1960s, 70s and 80s, died on Saturday.
    Police said they were called to his home in Leeds, but that there was nothing suspicious about his death.
    His family programme, Jim'll Fix It, drew in huge audiences and the programme received 20,000 letters a week at the height of its popularity.
    A West Yorkshire Police spokesman said officers were called to the house in Roundhay at 12:10 BST.
    Details of how he died were not yet known, but he was recently in hospital with pneumonia.
    Broadcaster Tony Blackburn said Sir Jimmy was embraced by everybody, and was "always just Jimmy Savile".
    "He was just a complete one-off. I think he was a bit of a lonely character as well. In the privacy of his own life I don't think he had very many friends."
    Tony Blackburn: "Jimmy Savile was a complete one-off"

He added: "I've never known anyone quite like him. He was a blunt speaking Northerner, but also kind and very respectful."
    Presenter Dave Lee Travis told Sky News: "We are all going to be worse off without him around."
    Prince Charles has also praised Sir Jimmy in a statement released by Clarence House: "The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall are saddened to hear of Jimmy Savile's death and their thoughts are with his family at this time," it said.
    Savile started out as a dance hall DJ in the 1950s, before making his name as a broadcaster on Radio Luxembourg.
    He was one of the first DJs on BBC Radio 1 and launched Top of the Pops in 1964.
    He also appeared on the music show's final edition in 2006.
    Charity fundraiser His TV persona included chunky gold jewellery, a huge cigar, his trademark snowy white hair and a number of catch-phrases which were frequently parodied by impressionists such as Mike Yarwood.
    Born in Leeds, West Yorkshire, Savile was conscripted as a Bevin Boy, working in the coal mines during the war.
    Away from broadcasting, he was noted for his charity work, running 200 marathons and raising £40m over the years.

Sir Jimmy Savile talks about how he came up with the idea of a disco

He was a volunteer at the hospital and ran more than 200 marathons for various charitable organisations.
    Sir Jimmy raised £20m for the creation of the National Spinal Injuries Centre at Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, in 1983 after a storm damaged wooden huts which had housed spinal cord injury patients.
    A spokeswoman for Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust, which runs the hospital, said Sir Jimmy would be missed by staff and patients, adding: "He was tireless in his attempts to fundraise for the hospital and was integral in the creation of the National Spinal Injuries Centre that we have today."
    Savile was knighted by the Queen in 1990 for his charity work.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    rest in peice my old fruit cake
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    well he had a good innings, and lived well, all things end, but still a sad day
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks

Re Jimmy

Hi mates

Looks quite old for 8 ??

joking aside he was a great man did so much for charity and stoke mandeville hospital and will me missed

regards
    satmanbasil

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,051 Times in 7,637 Posts
    Rest in peace Jimmy, you'll be sadly missed...
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable