Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Tutorial - How to enable the default Telnet client in Windows 7

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts

Tutorial - How to enable the default Telnet client in Windows 7

If like me you prefer not to have to install a third party Telnet client into your windows 7 setup but cant figure out how to get the default client working then this is for you.

While Windows 7 does come with a default Telnet client it is not activated by default, however the process to activate the Telnet client in Windows 7 could not be more simple as follows.

> Start
    > Control Panel
    > Programs And Features
    > Turn Windows features on or off
    > Check Telnet Client
    > Hit OK

After that you can start Telnet via Command Prompt.

now to use the Telnet client again is a very simple process

> start
    > type telnet into the search bar
    > press enter

you should now see the following screen

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

once you have the above screen type o<space>192.168.xxx.xxx ( the first character before the space is a o as in oscar and the ip is the ip address of your receiver obviously )

you will now be asked to input your username and password and from there you can do all the usual things a Telnet session brings but without needing a third party application such as putty.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Cougar (13-01-14),cwebb66 (11-06-15),FuManchu (07-09-12),moparopkop (24-06-15),skratch (19-08-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Sorry Pheonix dont mean to barge in on yr tutorial but also wanted to add

now to use the Telnet client again is a very simple process

> start
    > type telnet into the search bar
    > press enter

you should now see the following screen
    this part that pheonix says works and its a brilliant tutorial

you can also do shh

click start
    go to search bar and type
    cmd [and enter]

that will open a command prompt

from there you can type

ssh 192.168.x.x being yr box ip and it will open in ssh

this also works for telnet

just type

telnet 192.168.x.x
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

4. The Following User Says Thank You to silverfox0786 For This Useful Post:

Cougar (13-01-14)

Alias1
    If you need to know how to do this you are wasting your time owning a linux box my 2 cents worth

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias1 View Post
    If you need to know how to do this you are wasting your time owning a linux box my 2 cents worth
    well with any hobby you will always encounter people who either know nothing or are just starting out. I agree in a perfect world every one would research and learn how to operate the box first before buying it. If that were the case however, people would never get round to playing with their receiver in the first place. which if you ask me is where all the fun lies by playing with and learning with the receiver as you go, and then where would forums like this be ?.

i made this tutorial because every single tutorial i have seen previously has always said download putty, well putty is nice and easy to use but not needed when windows has it's own built in telnet client, although that argument could be extended to FTP programs and the like.

so take it as it was intended, a friendly pointer to those who did not know that putty is not their only option.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Cougar (13-01-14),Foxylady (25-03-12),garyblas (06-05-12),mudder (30-10-11),popss (13-05-13),Sicilian (30-10-11),Stanman (30-10-11)

Alias1
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    so take it as it was intended, a friendly pointer to those who did not know that putty is not their only option.
    Your the boss
    Seems that silverfox0786 got the right idea you cant ssh from the cmd prompt

Title
    Thanks
    I know how to get into telnet, and have done but when it ask for vulogin i dont have this info?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    By default there is no password just enter root as the user name and hit enter.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks your help guys. I'll give it a go this evening, and let you know how I get on.