Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DM500 HD Review

Title
    Thanks

DM500 HD Review

As per title, are there any owners of a DM500 HD on here ?

I'm toying with the idea of changing from my DM600 to either a VU Solo or DM500 HD.

I've read the review for the Solo and it would be nice to read one for the DM500 HD as well.

All/Any review would be much appreciated

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    i'd say go for the solo
    Nobody knows everything. We were born to help and aid each other... That's why we are all here, to share, teach and learn.
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite HERE

Title
    ViX Skinner-Dev
    Thanks
    ATM there is only original image for SOLO, so i would wait abit.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkulRide View Post
    ATM there is only original image for SOLO, so i would wait abit.
    I dont think the VTI image is too far away. The Solo is due for release in Germany on the 30th, so expect an image from VTI around that time

Anyway, sorry, back on topic, anyone here got a DM500HD?
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

berley (02-07-10)

Title
    Thanks

Dm 500 Review

Yes i have been running a DM500 Hd,alongside a DM600 pvr & an old Itgate,the picture quality of the 500hd is excellent (as you would expect with HD).I am a fan of the dreambox & never had any problems,till now the hd can be quite unstabe,i was using with gemini image,apparently its slightly better with Pli image,BUT a few times it wouldn't boot, you just get a green led on front & a black screen,then all of a sudden it springs back to life,but now it has died all together,back to the suppliers,this seems to be a common problem with these boxes at the minute,there is a beta "attempt" fix on dm's website but never tried it as the box wouldn't boot.....hope this gives a little insight....back to the good old itgate for now

Title
    V.I.P Member
    Thanks
    I have to say pound for pound the 500hd is the best linux box on the market,
    Great speed, great picture quality and does everything every other dreambox does but in a smaller package.
    Well except for USB and CI support but you don't really need em with this box.

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    About a year ago, I would have agreed that the DM HD units were by far the best, but now that I have the VU+ duo, I have to say, that its much better than the DB range, with exception to the 8000, but on a cost basis, the VU range does have the edge, the only slight moan I have about the VU, is the tuners are hard wired, rather than plug and play,

baz
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

Title
    Thanks
    hi everybody
    to be honest with you i think the dreambox 500hd is the best machine at the moment with hdmi input you get good picture quality if you have samsung full hd and if you want to buy one buy from xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adam123 View Post
    hi everybody
    to be honest with you i think the dreambox 500hd is the best machine at the moment with hdmi input you get good picture quality if you have samsung full hd and if you want to buy one buy from xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    You obviously haven't tried a VU+ receiver

P.S. Please dont go promoting any retailers on this board, we have our own sponsor here
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    ViX Skinner-Dev
    Thanks
    iam getting dm500hd today as second receiver. Will tell how its going.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to OldSkulRide For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (29-09-10)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have always had original DM's and until recently would of bought the 500HD without a thought, but since getting my VU duo and buying a couple of solo's for friends I would go for the solo over the 500HD because personally i think the build quality is far superior on the VU units and i think the lifespan and heat dispersion will be far better.
    Vu+Ultimo + Vu-Solo 1.1mtr Alloy dish + 60cm fixed, TM HH motor, hate footy LOVE motor-sport.

Title
    ViX Skinner-Dev
    Thanks
    well i had option getting vu+ solo for same money, but there is no openpli image for it and it has slower CPU.
    DM500HD that iam getting is latest A7 revision. That is probably good.

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    nothing wrong with the DB range, (although my first edition dm 800 is cooked) cant comment on the 500HD, but I am sure its an OK unit, but as I posted earlier in this thread, the VU+ duo offers a lot more for the money, and well surported.

will soon be buying another unit ( VU+ duo )

but to those that preferr the DB units, I hope you enjoy them as much as I preferr the VU,s

baz
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

16. The Following User Says Thank You to basilyoung For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (29-09-10)

Title
    ViX Skinner-Dev
    Thanks
    i got it yesterday. I installed everything and I am satisfied. OpenPLi isnt good image for DM500HD because it has older drivers and remote doesnt work well with it. I put newnigma 3.0.2 which is 1.6OE image and has latest drivers. It works great. You can control speed of fan. I have it on lowest possible value. Its very quiet.

My only problem is remote. I find vu+ remote to be better.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSkulRide For This Useful Post:

Messi (17-10-10),Sicilian (30-09-10)

Title
    Thanks
    hello all

sorry to barge in but i'm in a position to give my view as i have both receivers in my possession and am able to compare
    i bought the 500HD about 8 months ago and my duo has been with me for a week or two
    both receivers are great and their HD and SD pictures are the best around
    i am starting to love my duo as i get the hang(!) of it ... although the images are good they are still slightly behind the DM's
    response is great from both receivers
    i'm used to the DMs' remotes so i'm still trying to get around the buttons layout of the DUO's remote but anyway very responsive

cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast